EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Dec 6, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,441 of 1,557
And typically the TF10's take the wrong .75mm version!
The general places that do .78 plug custom cables are the likes of Moon Audio, Treoo, Plus Sound Audio, Norne Audio, the list can go on.
I have found some cheap ones on AliExpress, can't link them as I use the app, but search '2016 New 2pin 4 Cell Single Crystal Copper Plated Silver Cable Earphone Upgrade Cable for Custom Earphone 0.78 PIN' . Problem is these come with a silicone ear guide and a straight plug, doh!!
If you have any luck then please let me know.....

Okay so I'm looking at Null Audio, which I have had good luck with in the past. They make a TF10 specific two-pin cable and then another one for "Westone/Noble/JH/1964/UM 2-pin." Are those likely to be .78? Probably not right? How about "Ultimate Ears CIEM?" Either way I will contact them and see what they can make. There's a really nice one for $140 with no memory wire called "VITESSE CRYO 7N CGOCC-A PURE COPPER EARPHONE CABLE"

-Collin-

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,442 of 1,557
Okay so I'm looking at Null Audio, which I have had good luck with in the past. They make a TF10 specific two-pin cable and then another one for "Westone/Noble/JH/1964/UM 2-pin." Are those likely to be .78? Probably not right? How about "Ultimate Ears CIEM?" Either way I will contact them and see what they can make. There's a really nice one for $140 with no memory wire called "VITESSE CRYO 7N CGOCC-A PURE COPPER EARPHONE CABLE"

-Collin-
Actually I think that would be spot on, Noble use the same original cable as Earsonics so should be the same fit. I'd email them just to be 100% though, just in case, I'd be horrified to steer you wrong.
Nice cable, it would be a smart upgrade both aesthetically and in sound (if your a cable believer of course).
I think my hope of a sub £50 silver plated is running out so I may concede and stamp up the money for something like this. Though I have been floating around another seller on Ali called Xiaofan, seems like they will make up what you require and they look rather special. Just take a quick peek first

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,443 of 1,557
Actually I think that would be spot on, Noble use the same original cable as Earsonics so should be the same fit. I'd email them just to be 100% though, just in case, I'd be horrified to steer you wrong.
Nice cable, it would be a smart upgrade both aesthetically and in sound (if your a cable believer of course).
I think my hope of a sub £50 silver plated is running out so I may concede and stamp up the money for something like this. Though I have been floating around another seller on Ali called Xiaofan, seems like they will make up what you require and they look rather special. Just take a quick peek first

I will definitely check out that one on Ali, thanks! I also sent an email to Null Audio. 

Did you see this? https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/brevity-5n-cgocc-a-spc-earphone-cable

Silver plated and about $30 or so during the sale. Maybe worth a try also. 

-Collin-

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,444 of 1,557
I will definitely check out that one on Ali, thanks! I also sent an email to Null Audio. 

Did you see this? https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/brevity-5n-cgocc-a-spc-earphone-cable

Silver plated and about $30 or so during the sale. Maybe worth a try also. 

-Collin-
Not bad, good find Collin and a decent price. Just a shame about the phone controls on them, useless to myself. I'll consider what one to get after Christmas, I'll have to see how skint I am once all the shopping is done :wink:
Please post some pics of the new cable when you get it, this thread needs some eye candy, it's been a while

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,445 of 1,557
Not bad, good find Collin and a decent price. Just a shame about the phone controls on them, useless to myself. I'll consider what one to get after Christmas, I'll have to see how skint I am once all the shopping is done
wink.gif

Please post some pics of the new cable when you get it, this thread needs some eye candy, it's been a while

That one can actually be ordered without the smartphone controls per the ordering options. Still waiting to hear back for confirmation that they are .78 on the two-pin design. 

I went from not minding my Velvet memory to now getting rather irritated with it. This cable can't come soon enough. I'm also fighting to find the perfect tips. Which tips do you use on your Velvets? None of my trusty go-tos fit :frowning2:

-Collin-

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #1,446 of 1,557
Okay, I am back in Velvet heaven after a short hiatus. I have found the best tips yet! Here is a photo: 

Oddly enough, I think these were some bundled tips that came with my LZ A2 IEMs from a year ago or so. They may look a tad large as far as nozzle size, but the inner red tubing is actually fairly firm and holds them snuggly in place. They're wider bore and shorter than the stock tips or Westone Star tips and I think they sound way better than both. Bass is even more profound and overall they just seem more "full" to me. Most of this is probably just me getting a proper seal, but wow do the Velvets sound amazing. I literally could not be happier. I put on my Z5s and my IE800s after and I must say: Velvets are solidified as my number one IEMs. In my review I said they tied with the IE800 as far as enjoyment for me but I honestly think finding the perfect tips has made these surpass anything I own. 

That said, initial first impressions are OUTSTANDING on the LZ A4 that I just received. So, time will tell. What a fun hobby. Back to my dungeon now. 

-Collin-

Edit: the black and white tips are identical, just different colors. Cool huh? I've got a few spares of these if anyone wants to try them. PM me. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #1,447 of 1,557
Okay, I am back in Velvet heaven after a short hiatus. I have found the best tips yet! Here is a photo: 

Oddly enough, I think these were some bundled tips that came with my LZ A2 IEMs from a year ago or so. They may look a tad large as far as nozzle size, but the inner red tubing is actually fairly firm and holds them snuggly in place. They're wider bore and shorter than the stock tips or Westone Star tips and I think they sound way better than both. Bass is even more profound and overall they just seem more "full" to me. Most of this is probably just me getting a proper seal, but wow do the Velvets sound amazing. I literally could not be happier. I put on my Z5s and my IE800s after and I must say: Velvets are solidified as my number one IEMs. In my review I said they tied with the IE800 as far as enjoyment for me but I honestly think finding the perfect tips has made these surpass anything I own. 

That said, initial first impressions are OUTSTANDING on the LZ A4 that I just received. So, time will tell. What a fun hobby. Back to my dungeon now. 

-Collin-

Edit: the black and white tips are identical, just different colors. Cool huh? I've got a few spares of these if anyone wants to try them. PM me. 
Those look rather cool as well. Glad you've found a proper fit and I must admit it took me some while to get it right. I tried their double flanges at first but found them uncomfortable, so went through about 4 or 5 stages of using different types, even resorting to modifying a pair of old MEE double flanges and making them a hybrid of silicone and foam......

But I eventually conceded and stuck with the Earsonics ones and I must admit they softened, and offered the best seal. Until recently.......
I made a purchase on AE and chucked some of the new KZ ones into the basket. And as if by magic the large ones fitted the Velvets and my ears like a glove. Best and most comfortable fit yet :)

Best £1 I've spent recently.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,449 of 1,557
Hi Folks, wanted to circle back and mention that this morning I ordered the Null-Audio Vitesse cable for my Velvets. I have absolutely no idea when it will show up here in the States, but will certainly post back when I get it and let you guys know how it is. I'm dying to get rid of this plastic memory wire and I think the Velvets, in all honesty, are worthy of a $150 cable 
smily_headphones1.gif

https://www.null-audio.com/products/vitesse-black-edition-cryo-7n-cgocc-a-copper-earphone-cable

-Collin-

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #1,450 of 1,557
I have been asked in a PM which is the better IEM between the Earsonic Velvet and the iBasso IT03, and although there are much better qualified and more seasoned Head Fi members that could do this more justice, I thought it may be helpful for others to hear my impression as it may help them in future so I am posting this in the thread. This is of course my thoughts and should not be used as a definitive guide, and as always YMMV and probably will.......
I'll start by saying this is going to be rather difficult. This is probably not what you want to hear and it starts everything with a negative, but there is a rather large price and age difference between the two and this needs to be kept in mind at all times.

Highs - The IT03 highs are fantastic (once burnt in), they extend very well and offer a great sparkle which does not fatigue, and all of the detail is there and it is well presented. However, the Velvet appears to extend further but is smoother, this is quite a feat in my mind, and I have to give this battle to the Velvets. They simply sound more 'professional' (probably not the best way to describe them) but the extra money is well spent here and it is what most of my friends comment on first when they listen to the Velvet. Earsonics have nailed the treble in this price category as far as I am concerned. Yes, there could be more, but it would be difficult to listen to dependant on the track and quality of your recording. By this I mean that they reveal everything you need and want, but never make the music sound harsh.

Mids - This is a closer call as far as I am concerned. Neither are mid forward and both sound great with every genre, but I think this one goes to the IT03's. I can't quite put my finger on it, but going between them, and once my ears adjust for a few minutes to each, the iBasso's just squeeze the Velvets out. It's not by a large margin at all and both have their merits, but there is something with the IT03 mids that appeal to me more. This is likely to be the area that is more specific to each persons ears so please take my impressions on this with a pinch of salt.

Bass - Both are equally great, and at first there is no clear winner, though there is quite a difference. I assume this is down to one being dynamic and the other a BA, but the IT03's concentrate more on sub bass whilst the Velvets have more mid bass. Don't get me wrong, they both extend way down low and I guess have the same quantity of sub bass, but because of the Velvets more pronounced mid bass they do have more slam, though on the flip side this gives the perception of a better quality bass on the IT03's.
However, and this is the one major hook of the Velvets, the tuning dial can adjust this by a huge margin and with a few tweaks the Velvets can go from monstrous to nicely controlled, and for this fact, I pass the Velvets the medal on this occasion. There is something very addictive with the Velvet bass, to me anyway, and they never fail to make my jaw drop with certain tracks.

Price to performance - This one definitely goes to the iBasso's. At a third of the price they are a fantastic purchase and come close to equalling much more expensive phones.

Both of these IEM's are beautifully musical and I have enjoyed them with everything I listen to. But if I had to choose one to live with forever (and this is a close call) it would be the Velvets. Does the difference in price justify this? Probably not. But price aside, they are the better IEM to my ears and I would not hesitate in buying them again. But I am pleased I have both :)

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,451 of 1,557
Cables: I use Earsonics cables with my Velvets, either 4 or 8 wire and balanced or single ended connector.
Started with Eros and now using Ares II+, which is fab.

Tips: I use a mid-grey colour double flange tip. Not sure of brand.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #1,453 of 1,557
Hi, how does Earsonic Velvet compares to iBasso IT03 in sound isolation and fit? Thanks!
Hi, this is going to be very ear specific, but both fit me perfectly. There have been reports on the IT03 thread of some users having problems though due to their ear filling design, a more custom approach, but I can wear them for hours on end with no issues at all. The Velvets just seem to fit everybody though, and I cannot recollect a single complaint from anybody on this subject (though I may be wrong). The main difference for me is that the Velvets are a deeper insertion, much deeper, once you find the perfect tip for your ears. I do suggest sticking with the dual flange they come with initially, and breaking them in as they do become softer with use (or you could speed up the process by manipulating them in very warm/hot water for a while in order to get the silicone to stretch and soften, a good tip for any silicone).
Due to the deeper fit, and the fact that there are no vents on the Velvets as they are purely BA's, isolation is also better on these than the iBasso's, but this is only noticeable in noisy environments.
Neither IEM will 'disappear' completely, but both are comfortable as far as I am concerned. Maybe others might chime in so you can get a few opinions on this as we are all different after all.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #1,455 of 1,557
EarSonics introduce VELVET V2:
-More linear frequency response approach.
-Better energetic treble presentation.

Replaces the original version, same price.

Seems more or less the same thing to me. Why bother with more linear freq response and more energetic treble since you can already tune the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back