EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Dec 20, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #421 of 1,260
Nice combo :)
The more I read feedback, the more I think the S-EM9 need a good source to really rise up to their potential but then again it's no suprise TOTL IEMs would scale well. I have read some not so positive feedback from people who auditioned it on french forums (especially treble extension), but not necessarily with the right tips or right source.

I imagine you're running them balanced?

I had my eyes on the Angie back when I purchased the Velvet, and then the upgrade path led me to the S-EM9. I wondered how they compared to Angie, wouldn't have dared to compare to the Laylas! Quite a strong statement :)

But I had the SE846 for a year and a half, no contest there the S-EM9 is a much more refined beast :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The bass is also good. I had initially thought that having only 1 bass driver, the bass would be thin. Boy, was I wrong. I put on The Nutcracker by LSO in all its 24-bit glory. 

Well, there is only one driver but it's much bigger and it's custom spec'ed by Earsonics and similar to the Velvet's
Laylas are over rated.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #422 of 1,260
Nice combo :)
The more I read feedback, the more I think the S-EM9 need a good source to really rise up to their potential but then again it's no suprise TOTL IEMs would scale well. I have read some not so positive feedback from people who auditioned it on french forums (especially treble extension), but not necessarily with the right tips or right source.

I imagine you're running them balanced?

I had my eyes on the Angie back when I purchased the Velvet, and then the upgrade path led me to the S-EM9. I wondered how they compared to Angie, wouldn't have dared to compare to the Laylas! Quite a strong statement :)

But I had the SE846 for a year and a half, no contest there the S-EM9 is a much more refined beast :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The bass is also good. I had initially thought that having only 1 bass driver, the bass would be thin. Boy, was I wrong. I put on The Nutcracker by LSO in all its 24-bit glory. 

Well, there is only one driver but it's much bigger and it's custom spec'ed by Earsonics and similar to the Velvet's

The Layla is very good when you have a good fit. When I walk or move around a lot, I keep losing the fit. I have tried many types of tips.

Yes, the source is very Important. Just AK380 is not good enough.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #423 of 1,260
The Layla is very good when you have a good fit. When I walk or move around a lot, I keep losing the fit. I have tried many types of tips.

Yes, the source is very Important. Just AK380 is not good enough.

Laylas are big, I am not surprised... nice to know, although I don't intend to upgrade anytime soon and if I was I'd turn my head to the Zeus :p

AK380 not good enough?
Which of your amps are you using with them right now?

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #424 of 1,260
Laylas are big, I am not surprised... nice to know, although I don't intend to upgrade anytime soon and if I was I'd turn my head to the Zeus :p

AK380 not good enough?
Which of your amps are you using with them right now?

I use the AK380 amp module. After listening to that it's difficult to go back to plain AK380.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #425 of 1,260
I use the AK380 amp module. After listening to that it's difficult to go back to plain AK380.

Didn't even know it existed (4K+ DAP, out of my range), I have learned something there. On paper, nice product btw.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #427 of 1,260
Sem9 sure scale up well. They are in a different league out of the mojo. Looks like I will be stuck fiddling with cables for the forseeable after all :wink:

This combo is sweet indeed, I really got what I expected of the S-EM9 with the Mojo, not quite with the ZX2 initially. 
I am waiting on a TWspc v3 from Whiplash, we'll see!

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #429 of 1,260
P1 is a fantastic dap. It is on the warmer and darker side of neutral, with good speed. I use it with the Arrow 5P and amp up a ton of bass, although it also has a good bass boost as is.

Dynamics, transparency and resolution are on a different level with the 901S, but that is according to their price difference. But since it is also a good deal brighter, it has a more hifi sound, while the P1 has a more charming, analogue signature. 

Overall I would say the P1 is a great match with the S-EM9, especially since the P1 is so warm, smooth and on the darker side. It sounds technically better with the 901S, but also very different because it loses its warmth. I enjoy both pairings in a very different way.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #430 of 1,260
@flinkenick thanks buddy... p1 ordered ! Can't wait to pair it with my S-EM9 !!

And after many weeks of hesitation i have chosen the gold one.

I also tried this morning at b&h the ak120. Beautiful construction but can not express any opinion since i only tried it for 5 minutes.

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #431 of 1,260
  Dynamics, transparency and resolution are on a different level with the 901S, but that is according to their price difference. But since it is also a good deal brighter, it has a more hifi sound, while the P1 has a more charming, analogue signature. 

Overall I would say the P1 is a great match with the S-EM9, especially since the P1 is so warm, smooth and on the darker side. It sounds technically better with the 901S, but also very different because it loses its warmth. I enjoy both pairings in a very different way.

I'd be curious to get your feeling on Mojo + S-EM9 if you get the chance, from what you're saying I feel like the Mojo sits somewhere in the middle : great dynamics, transparency and resolution while retaining an analogue feel and just the right touch of warmth too.

On a sidenote, eager to read your S-EM9 review :wink:

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #432 of 1,260
Originally Posted by LMka 

Sorry for derailing this conversation one more time but I felt that I have to let people know. Maybe this comment will save some guy's money and that guy will audition Velvet before buying them.

I'm sorry about your experience but you're the only person I've seen who says Velvet has sibilance. I prefer Velvet on balanced mode myself, and I like bass. Warm mode bass can get quite overpowering. I find balanced mode to be perfect sonically. I should add I mostly listen to EDM and modern music.

Hi guys,

Being very close to buy the Velvets, I was very surprised to read all this about their sibilance or that "not a single of these devices can make them listenable"...and I'm really confused.

I mean..ljokerl gives them one of the best sounding IEMs togheter with the FTG 334 while here I'm reading somehow the opposite.

So..what's the true with the Velvet anyway?

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #433 of 1,260
Interesting that a $1400 version of a $599 IEM comes out and now the $599 version has sibilance and is unlistenable...  If I thought that Earsonics was coming to get my guns, I'd say it was a conspiracy. (USA Knucklehead Joke) 
eek.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #434 of 1,260
P1 is a fantastic dap. It is on the warmer and darker side of neutral, with good speed. I use it with the Arrow 5P and amp up a ton of bass, although it also has a good bass boost as is.

My 2¢ I will say the P1 is detailed and one can easily make it sound brighter with its EQ and its many BBE options.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #435 of 1,260
  Interesting that a $1400 version of a $599 IEM comes out and now the $599 version has sibilance and is unlistenable...  If I thought that Earsonics was coming to get my guns, I'd say it was a conspiracy. (USA Knucklehead Joke) 
eek.gif

The Velvet is a great IEM that lead me to the S-EM9, and definitely it's among the best value for money you can get, especially since the price drop from 700 to 560€ it's a no brainer. I wouldn't call the S-EM9 a 1400$ version of the Velvet though, it's building upon the sweet tuning they found and that bass driver, taking things to another level. Granted value for money is not the same, if not for the black friday and 20% off, I wouldn't have gotten them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back