EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Nov 26, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,006 of 1,260
A little bit of comparison today between the Prophile-8 from In-Ear and the S-EM9 from Earsonics. Both driven by the Sony WM1Z, the S-EM9 balanced and the Prophile-8 single ended because I don't have the adequate cable (nobody does at this stage).

First important difference is stage and music presentation. The Prophile has a wider stage that is much closer, surrounding you. You are in the middle of the music. The S-EM9 has a narrower stage, further in front of you. The music is still airy and well separated, but less involving and more laid back.

Mids have more or less similar clarity but due to the stage presentation, the voices on the earsonics sound more distant and very up close and intimate on the Prophile.

Bass wise, the S-EM9 has slightly more mid bass, but if you switch the bass on on the Prophile-8, the mid bass will have more impact than on the S-EM9. Subbass seems equally extended.

Highs seem similarly extended, but in neutral position Prophile-8 highs are slightly smoother, and if you turn on the high switch, they become similar, maybe even more edgy on the Prophile-8.

In terms of details the Prophile will have the edge, not that it had more details, but the fact they are more up close makes them easier to hear.

Finally in terms of speed, while the Prophile-8 is no slouch, maybe the S-EM9 has a very slight edge...if it does it is not obvious.

Overall, I would say that at this stage they play in the same category, but the Prophile drags you more into the music, and has the switch to adjust to preference.

Both among the top universals I have heard.

Keep in mind things could change if they were both balanced...

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,007 of 1,260
Good album choice :D

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #1,008 of 1,260
Thanks for the input Mimouille 

beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #1,011 of 1,260
Hi. I have a dilemma now choosing between S-EM9 and ES3 (as a little brother but very affordable).
It will be in addition to my Etymotic ER4SR. So I prefer a neutral reference sound which I get from the Ety.
So my concern here is not to get a V or U shaped IEM. I also hate a warm sound with an elevated and slow mid bass (Westone family as an example).

Will I accept the S-EM9 or this will not be my "cup of tea"? Thanks.

P.S. I owned the SM64 in the past and I know well the S-EM6 ( too dark and bassy)

I have SM64, S-EM9 and ER4SR. Also had S-EM6 for 2 weeks.

Sure, I guess You'll like it, but with spiral dot tips on S-EM9, for a clearer, open, balanced, and less bassy sound, not the stock double flange.

Wonder if many people here tried the Etymotic ER4SR? Maybe once you tried, you see how colored many of your TOTL IEMs probably are. I see it very clearly in orchestra or piano, ER4SR tastes like reality. If you go see a concert of this kind of music, and soon listen with ER4SR, you'll feel the music sounds practically the same. It sounds like reality, instead S-EM9 "sounds" like a good cake, with a bit of candy and sweet, which could be good in some genres.

Don't be fooled because it is only one BA driver, that company does some adjustment that the sound feels raw and real, and also a bit addictive to me when listening because I feel its so pure.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,016 of 1,260
  Ok - everyone has different tastes - I like warm feels more natural/coherent to me.

That's true. My current reference is the ER4SR and I believe it's not easy to find something similar among multi-driver IEMs.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,019 of 1,260
A little bit of comparison today between the Prophile-8 from In-Ear and the S-EM9 from Earsonics. Both driven by the Sony WM1Z, the S-EM9 balanced and the Prophile-8 single ended because I don't have the adequate cable (nobody does at this stage).

First important difference is stage and music presentation. The Prophile has a wider stage that is much closer, surrounding you. You are in the middle of the music. The S-EM9 has a narrower stage, further in front of you. The music is still airy and well separated, but less involving and more laid back.

Mids have more or less similar clarity but due to the stage presentation, the voices on the earsonics sound more distant and very up close and intimate on the Prophile.

Bass wise, the S-EM9 has slightly more mid bass, but if you switch the bass on on the Prophile-8, the mid bass will have more impact than on the S-EM9. Subbass seems equally extended.

Highs seem similarly extended, but in neutral position Prophile-8 highs are slightly smoother, and if you turn on the high switch, they become similar, maybe even more edgy on the Prophile-8.

In terms of details the Prophile will have the edge, not that it had more details, but the fact they are more up close makes them easier to hear.

Finally in terms of speed, while the Prophile-8 is no slouch, maybe the S-EM9 has a very slight edge...if it does it is not obvious.

Overall, I would say that at this stage they play in the same category, but the Prophile drags you more into the music, and has the switch to adjust to preference.

Both among the top universals I have heard.

Keep in mind things could change if they were both balanced...

Thanks a lot. May I presume you find them overall more similar than different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back