Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #916 of 1,656
I don't have experience with the W4, but I've heard it has more sparkle than the SM64. The SM64 definitely has great detail, what I would say are good vocals/mids, and a big soundstage, but I wouldn't quite call it neutral and sparkly. I think of the SM64 as a richer, warmer sound in general. The SM64 also has much deeper bass and a wider soundstage with an amp, which is something to consider.

Nope, speaking as someone whose owned the W4 it's the exact opposite actually. The W4 has roll off in the upper registers and sounds highly polite in the treble. It also has less detail, less soundstage and sounds less bassy when compared to the SM64.

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #917 of 1,656
Since it seems like a lot of people really like the sound of the SM64's would you guys say that they are worth $499?  Or were they only a better value when they sold for $399?  Trying to justify why I didn't buy them months ago when they were $399 and easily available in US, vs only being able to find them in limited supply at $499 now, and no used ones being sold =(

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #918 of 1,656
No one could possibly answer that for you. That is totally subjective. What is easily justified for one, isn't for another. Some people pay large amounts for very small increases in quality. 

I think the SM64 is a love or hate earphone. If you haven't had the chance to demo it, you're taking on another $100 bucks to your gamble, unless you get them from somebody with a great return policy, like earphonesolutions.com

I also found you a 10% off coupon code to knock $50 off: "H15"

The bass for me had this artificial sounding, dolby surround sound effect to it that I wasn't in love with. But overall, I think they are really solid earphones. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #919 of 1,656
Nope, speaking as someone whose owned the W4 it's the exact opposite actually. The W4 has roll off in the upper registers and sounds highly polite in the treble. It also has less detail, less soundstage and sounds less bassy when compared to the SM64.

Hmm...the only thing in that description that fits me about the W4 is that it has less bass. 

I don't have experience with the W4, but I've heard it has more sparkle than the SM64. The SM64 definitely has great detail, what I would say are good vocals/mids, and a big soundstage, but I wouldn't quite call it neutral and sparkly. I think of the SM64 as a richer, warmer sound in general. The SM64 also has much deeper bass and a wider soundstage with an amp, which is something to consider.

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that worries me about the SM64 is if the vocals are forward enough for my liking since all the iem's I have currently have very forward mids. I also don't like a lot of bass.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #920 of 1,656
Hmm...the only thing in that description that fits me about the W4 is that it has less bass

No biggie, it just probably means you listen a little different then me or I'm used to more treble then you. You could also have had a better fit with the W4 which would impact the sound, who knows. Different strokes for different folks :)

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #921 of 1,656
Having both the W4 and the SM64, if they were both stolen today I would buy the SM64 again (even at $499), but not the W4 (even at $299).

Of course having to shell out $499 to replace them would hurt. The 10% off helps some.

Actually, seeing it's November I would wait until Black Friday. Earphone solutions has had great deals the past 2 years. Hopefully Earsonics won't be on the list of excluded brands listed in the fine print.

The 64s have a bit more sparkle than the W4. They also have more and deeper sub-bass than the W4. The W4 has more mid-bass that bleeds into the mids to a degree. So sometimes the W4 bass sounds a *bit* boomy/muddy/slow in comparison, even though the 64 "has more bass".

I find the 64s bass adds great realism and depth, however on couple of songs with significantly over emphasized bass I have found it to be too much. If you have a lot of music with artificial bass levels you may need to equalize.

Also, I find the 64 is better with fast/very dynamic/complex passages.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #922 of 1,656
Having both the W4 and the SM64, if they were both stolen today I would buy the SM64 again (even at $499), but not the W4 (even at $299).

Of course having to shell out $499 to replace them would hurt. The 10% off helps some.

Actually, seeing it's November I would wait until Black Friday. Earphone solutions has had great deals the past 2 years. Hopefully Earsonics won't be on the list of excluded brands listed in the fine print.

The 64s have a bit more sparkle than the W4. They also have more and deeper sub-bass than the W4. The W4 has more mid-bass that bleeds into the mids to a degree. So sometimes the W4 bass sounds a *bit* boomy/muddy/slow in comparison, even though the 64 "has more bass".

I find the 64s bass adds great realism and depth, however on couple of songs with significantly over emphasized bass I have found it to be too much. If you have a lot of music with artificial bass levels you may need to equalize.

+1. I had both at the same time, and prefer SM64 to W4 by a great extent.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #923 of 1,656
I did it
you send them an email, to ask them to ugrade and replace your old V1 to V2
They expertise you headphone before they accept the deal in case they find a problem
and it cost you $100/150
the only difference between both, it's the removable cable

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #924 of 1,656

Agreed. I am very much a fan of the 64's depth and presentation. It sounds rich and refined and the bass isn't slow or muddy, IMHO. I'd recommend looking around here on the forums, where they are often sold for about $350, rather than $500+ if you convert euros to usd. Or as ericr suggested, black friday might be a good time to check out some deals...

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #925 of 1,656
For those of you who do use an amp (or dac/amp combo) with the SM64's, which amp are you using or which has been your favorite with the SM64's?  I understand that not everyone thinks an amp makes any difference with them.  Also I'm guessing you would want a more neutral amp since most peoples opinions of the SM64 is that they are slightly warm and a warm amp may add too much coloration.  Thanks!

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #926 of 1,656
  For those of you who do use an amp (or dac/amp combo) with the SM64's, which amp are you using or which has been your favorite with the SM64's?  I understand that not everyone thinks an amp makes any difference with them.  Also I'm guessing you would want a more neutral amp since most peoples opinions of the SM64 is that they are slightly warm and a warm amp may add too much coloration.  Thanks!

Using Alo Audio International. Can't speak too much to how it may or may not color the sound, but I find the amp pretty fantastic. Really adds the depth and driving bass that you hear people talking about. Read up on the International for comparisons to other amps maybe!

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #927 of 1,656

I love sm64 bass and cymbal sound. the bass so deep and very articulate with just enough slam to make your feet tapping, the cymbal also amazing you can hear every vibration that it makes. I find it very good on jazz music. Vocal also very nice it got a very good timbre and very natural to my ears. though i find it much less engaging than my esw11.

For idevice as source you should try glacier+theorem combo they sound very good, if you are using dap you can try amp with optical input for smooth detail sound. Or tube portable amp if you find the treble too harsh and want to get more swing factor ..

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #928 of 1,656
As mentioned above, the HRT Microstreamer USB DAC / amp is real nice with the SM64. It was a bit of a hassle getting the right cable, but now the Microstreamer is working with my android phone as well as my computers.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #929 of 1,656
The first pair of decent iems I bought was the Earsonics SM3 V1  after reading the reviews here. I had them for a couple of years, and loved them . Then one day the left driver stopped working, so was on the hunt for new pair of iems. The Samsung earphones that came with the Galaxy S4 just weren't getting the job done.
( I am considering sending the SM3's to Earsonics to get fixed ) 

Having read the wonderful reviews on the SM64, I decided to go ahead and purchase these. ( They are or were in stock as of yesterday .) 

Luckily, I reread this thread again, and saw a site Earphone solutions mentioned, so went there to do a price comparison between buying from Earsonics directly and buying from 
Earphone solutions. The price difference was astounding ( to me anyway ).

$399 at Earphone solutions vs 399 Euro at Earsonics ( around $536 )

HOW is it possible for the price difference to be that large?

They SM64 will be arriving this weekend, can' wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back