Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #901 of 1,656
Just read your review Shigzeo, and it pretty much sums up my experience in auditioning the SM64 v2 earlier this year for a couple of days (loaned from a friend). Now if only we could get these back in stock somewhere in the US, I could finally get around to buying it.... The last time they were in stock at Soundearphones, I spent too much time thinking about whether or not I should sell my UM3X for the SM64, get the W4R, or some combination in between and ended up missing the boat >_>.

FYI, last week earphonesolutions.com said via email they had one SM64 in stock (even though it wasn't listed on the website.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #903 of 1,656
Does anyone know if the SM64 will be readily available in the US again?  It seems like almost no one has them.  Soundearphones.com no longer has them listed, and amazon has them out of stock with no future date when they would be available.  The only place seems to be EarphoneSolutions, except they are selling them for $499 while soundearphones.com and amazon.com apparently had them for $399.  I'd prefer not to buy direct from EarSonics because of the cost (same reason for Earphone Solutions).  Is the only alternative to rely on someone selling them in the ForSale forum?

Is it just a supply issue or is EarSonics limiting the US for some reason?

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #904 of 1,656
Earphonesolutions has had some nice discounts for black Friday the last two years. Might be worth waiting to see if the SM64 are excluded or not. Also, I believe a day or so ago there was a pair in the for sale forum for $300.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #905 of 1,656
Thanks for the info ericr!  I e-mailed soundearphones.com this morning and apparently they no longer carry the EarSonics brand =(.  So it looks like the only way to get them in the US is EarphoneSolutions or the ForSale forum.  Damn.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #906 of 1,656
Recently bought the HRT Microstreamer (a USB DAC & Headphone amp in one tiny package).

After a couple of weeks listening, I keep finding myself smiling and thinking "Wow". It really makes the SM64 sing, with even greater clarity, detail and realism. Listening through the MicroSteamer further widens the performance gap between the 64s and my W4s.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #907 of 1,656
I currently have the EarSonics SM3 v1, and I have really enjoyed them.  Would it be safe to say that I would also really enjoy the SM64's?  I am looking to replace my SM3 because the cable on it is hanging on by a thread and is not removeable.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #908 of 1,656
I currently have the EarSonics SM3 v1, and I have really enjoyed them.  Would it be safe to say that I would also really enjoy the SM64's?  I am looking to replace my SM3 because the cable on it is hanging on by a thread and is not removeable.

I have sm64 myself... You won't regret it... Wide soundstage, depth, accurate, detailed, natural sounding.. Simply highly rated and amazing IEM

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #909 of 1,656
Just got these from a headfier and have to agree that are indeed fantastic. I'm having a few fitting issues, so I wouldn't recommend them for small ears, but the sound is fantastic. They have amazing depth and bass with an amp. I'm using them with ALO Audio International and love the sound.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #912 of 1,656
Hi,

currently I can't seem to decide between the W4 and SM64. I like good clarity/detail, forward mids/vocals, big soundstage, neutral bass, bit of treble sparkle with good extension but not harsh/sibilant. The music I listen to are J-pop, J-rock/metal, female vocals, post rock, math rock, experimental, Jazz, pianos, instrumental, r&b, hip hop, rap. Example of artists/musicians I like Utada Hikaru, One Ok Rock, Uverworld, Joe Hisaishi, Dir en grey, Shiina Ringo, toe, spangle call lilli line, X Japan, Exist Trace etc.

Also how does the W4 or SM64 pair up with the Sony Walkman Z1070?

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #913 of 1,656
  Hi,

currently I can't seem to decide between the W4 and SM64. I like good clarity/detail, forward mids/vocals, big soundstage, neutral bass, bit of treble sparkle with good extension but not harsh/sibilant. The music I listen to are J-pop, J-rock/metal, female vocals, post rock, math rock, experimental, Jazz, pianos, instrumental, r&b, hip hop, rap. Example of artists/musicians I like Utada Hikaru, One Ok Rock, Uverworld, Joe Hisaishi, Dir en grey, Shiina Ringo, toe, spangle call lilli line, X Japan, Exist Trace etc.

Also how does the W4 or SM64 pair up with the Sony Walkman Z1070?

I don't have experience with the W4, but I've heard it has more sparkle than the SM64. The SM64 definitely has great detail, what I would say are good vocals/mids, and a big soundstage, but I wouldn't quite call it neutral and sparkly. I think of the SM64 as a richer, warmer sound in general. The SM64 also has much deeper bass and a wider soundstage with an amp, which is something to consider.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #915 of 1,656
  Send an email to earsonic, you can have an update for 100/150€ to an exchange to a SM3V2

Who are you replying to with this message?  Are you trying to say you can exchange an SM3V2 to an SM64?  Or an SM3v1 to SM3v2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back