Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #706 of 1,656
Quote:
I'm not sure which one they often use in clinics and hospitals, but as far as I can tell from looking at the graphs generated by those jigs there's no pink noise involved, which makes perfect sense if you're using these measurements for calibrating hearing aids.

I wasn't talking about those graphs smoothed with a 1/2 ratio. I was referring to the average of multiple measurements.

If you look at the raws, you'll notice that the graphs have the patterns of what happens when you measure IEMs with pink noise.  I agree that they should have averaged multiple graphs, might have helped a bit. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #707 of 1,656
Sly, does your taste is sound ever change? For example do you prefer heavier bass one day, and maybe less bass another day? I know I sure do. Personally it is for this reason that I cannot trust my own hearing 100%, let alone the changing tastes of people other than myself.

What explains such changes in sonic preference? Surely it's something psychological related to mood or diet or who know how many variables. If this is the case, does it make more sense to give weight to the ever-changing sonic preferences of an individual, or the never-changing results of unbiased measurements? If one uses the same measurement source for each evaluation, then results will be more reliable for a person who hasn't heard an iem.

Basically, if I listened to people who liked an iem for whatever their subjective reasoning (mood, music choice, fit) then it would make perfect sense to buy every single iem ever that has proponents of its sound. Obviously this is a bad idea. As a potential buyer, it makes much more sense to go with data that doesn't change over time.

There is still room for preference here, but I hope this explains a little about why we think graphs matter, in some cases more than human impressions.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #708 of 1,656
My right earbud sounds a ton lower than the left ear. I've tried different songs just to rule out specific recordings, but it's still apparent in everything I try it with. Is this a defect that anyone here has experienced with their sm64s?

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #709 of 1,656
Quote:
My right earbud sounds a ton lower than the left ear. I've tried different songs just to rule out specific recordings, but it's still apparent in everything I try it with. Is this a defect that anyone here has experienced with their sm64s?

I've had mine a couple of months now and I've never noticed anything like that. I'd get in touch with the outfit you bought your pair from and ask about getting a replacement pair. Sounds like your pair may be defective.

Hope nobody minds a money shot

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #710 of 1,656
Quote:

I know 1 or 2 reports on some channel imbalance. I recommended sending it back to ES. I have the same problem as well and discover that the cable connection is causing the imbalance.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #711 of 1,656
Hello Ggnarsagan,

Did I say that graphs doesn't matter? 

Please read carefuly the real meaning of what I wrote. 

I just said that graphs don't say all and it's not right to refer only to graphs to destroy a product just pointing a "weakness" without listening to it but...of course, you can refer to it to have an idea of what the sound signature should be, that's also what I do sometimes but really prefer to listen to some people here having listened to a product than just to trust a graph that don't have all informations about the sound character of a IEM.

EDIT: no sorry, my sound tastes don't change with time and moods. 
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #712 of 1,656
Quote:
Did I say that graphs doesn't matter?

Please read carefuly the real meaning of what I wrote. 

You'll get nowhere with people who purely listen with their eyes sly. Just keep on doing what you do and trust your own ears. Everything else really doesn't matter in the end. Just what suites you.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #713 of 1,656
This problem of imbalance sometimes happens with a lot of brands....I had one with Heir 5.0, Westone 4 (first batch).

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #714 of 1,656
Thank you Lee... it's not easy to keep things right and people tend to transform the real meaning of what I say...

As you understood, I say that Graphs are good information that gives an idea of sound... not THE INFORMATION if the sound is good or not...that's all I say...

Some people I mentionned just keep on comming in the threads like ghosts, without having listened to some stuf and throw graphs...saying" MMmhh yes I suppose this sound is garbage".... What does that mean?

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #715 of 1,656
You'll get nowhere with people who purely listen with their eyes sly. Just keep on doing what you do and trust your own ears. Everything else really doesn't matter in the end. Just what suites you.

Yeah sometimes I hook my ER4S into a coupler and just watch the frequencies rise and fall. Far superior way to take in sound imo.

Thank you Lee... it's not easy to keep things right and people tend to transform the real meaning of what I say...

As you understood, I say that Graphs are good information that gives an idea of sound... not THE INFORMATION if the sound is good or not...that's all I say...

Some people I mentionned just keep on comming in the threads like ghosts, without having listened to some stuf and throw graphs...saying" MMmhh yes I suppose this sound is garbage".... What does that mean?

Sly some of us think that there is a rough ideal towards which iems should try to be. This ideal is based on controlled listening tests that tell us how hearing works. Finding out that the SM64 is missing 5k would be similar to finding out my hdtv can't display light blue. Hdtv's should be able to display light blue, and if they don't, we rightly say What.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #717 of 1,656
Quote:
Yeah sometimes I hook my ER4S into a coupler and just watch the frequencies rise and fall. Far superior way to take in sound imo.
Sly some of us think that there is a rough ideal towards which iems should try to be. This ideal is based on controlled listening tests that tell us how hearing works. Finding out that the SM64 is missing 5k would be similar to finding out my hdtv can't display light blue. Hdtv's should be able to display light blue, and if they don't, we rightly say What.

Most HDTVs can do light blue.  Some can't do light yellow though...  Most screens cut out some color to be honest.  Your eyes actually adjust to it, mroe likely than not, the monitor you're using is color shifted and cannot reproduce the entire color gamut. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #718 of 1,656
Most HDTVs can do light blue.  Some can't do light yellow though...  Most screens cut out some color to be honest.  Your eyes actually adjust to it, mroe likely than not, the monitor you're using is color shifted and cannot reproduce the entire color gamut. 

I know. Most iems can play 5k.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #719 of 1,656
Quote:
I know. Most iems can play 5k.

A lot of custom stage monitors cannot actually.  Lots of manufacturers cut this area out for the same reason Earsonics did.  They don't do it to the degree Earsonics did, but they do do it.  Westone, Shure, UE, Aurisonics...  The list goes on. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #720 of 1,656

Bad analogy on sagan's part. Full colour gamut LCDs don't yet exist (but note that it is the extremes that are cut off, analogous to 20k and 15Hz on headphones). Full hearing spectrum IEMs can be had relatively cheaply.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back