Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #196 of 1,656
My shells are pretty much flawless.
I don't really see what horrible things could happen to your SM64 unless you throw them around or something like this.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #197 of 1,656
I guess is just small matter. But somehow keep me wondering is that normal or not everytime i see it. I don't think i have drop it or bumb to something before. I received in that condition. Oh well...nevermind..i talked to jaben already actually. They willing to swap me a new one if i annoyed with that.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #198 of 1,656
I guess is just small matter. But somehow keep me wondering is that normal or not everytime i see it. I don't think i have drop it or bumb to something before. I received in that condition. Oh well...nevermind..i talked to jaben already actually. They willing to swap me a new one if i annoyed with that.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #199 of 1,656
SM3 and its horrible build/material quality is still there I guess with SM64s. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #200 of 1,656
I've had the SM3 for more than 2 years now and they are as sturdy as new. I really don't understand people's constant complains about the build quality. Maybe you guys treat your expensive IEMs like crap

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #201 of 1,656
Quote:
I've had the SM3 for more than 2 years now and they are as sturdy as new. I really don't understand people's constant complains about the build quality. Maybe you guys treat your expensive IEMs like crap

I have had my SM3s (V1) for nearly 2 years now as well, mine have held up perfectly in that time.  Cheers to a fantastic IEM!

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #202 of 1,656
I never heard anybody complain about the build quality of, lets say, westone IEMs. I never had one of these things in my hand but how is the build quality different compared to the one of Earsonics IEMs?
Just out of curiosity...

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #204 of 1,656
Looking at videos, reviews and pictures Westone is about the same. The pro-range seems to be made of acrylic plastic which is better, but the consumer line doesn´t seem any superior to Earsonics to me. Shure on the other hand has very nice build quality, but I don´t think they are competitive with many others these days and really need a full redesign. Good build quality is extremely rare in high end IEMs. The only ones I can think of are Sennheiser IE800, Sony EX1000, FitEar, Audio-Technica CK10-100 and Heir Audio. It seems build quality is very expensive. Doubt the SM64 would hit its anywhere near its current price with an acrylic shell or even worse a magnesium or carbon fiber one... Sure the build quality on SM64 is nothing special, but it´s not really that bad either for a high end IEM. At least the bill of materials goes to what´s inside the cheap shell :) Looking at the pictures it looks like SM64 is really full of stuff inside. Compare with transparent Shure´s and you´ll see there is a lot less inside.

Ideally I´d prefer companies to sell two versions of their products: a plastic cheaper one with the same SQ and then a higher end magnesium/acrylic one so customers can choose if they want to pay for it. Fischer Audio does this by the way in their FA3/FA3-XB range. The standard version is aluminum with fixed cables, but the ergonomic design acrylic one with removable cables is around 100e more expensive.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #205 of 1,656
No Westone and earsonics are not comparable at all (W4 vs. SM3). I have owned both. You will never hear a westone shell splitting in to 2 pieces. It happens quite often with earsonics shells. Just have a look at the the sm3 thread.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #206 of 1,656
Quote:
No Westone and earsonics are not comparable at all (W4 vs. SM3). I have owned both. You will never hear a westone shell splitting in to 2 pieces. It happens quite often with earsonics shells. Just have a look at the the sm3 thread.

I know this is off topic, but why is that so? What is so diffrent between these two type of shells? And what is this weakpoint that all Earsonics shells seem to have?

Btw. I get higher volume with my Nintendo 3DS XL + SM64 than with my J3 + SM64 :p

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #207 of 1,656
Most of the build quality issues I´ve read about have been over the SM3V1. There have been a lot of issues with that model, that I know, but at least my personal subjective impression from browsing SM3 threads is that the V2 seems to hold up better. I may be wrong though. Currently it looks like I´m going to go for SM64 instead of EX1000 as I managed to get a MDR 7550 for 150 euros and I guess the airy & neutral sound signature of the EX1000 is probably not my favorite anyway as a bass monster Sennheiser IE800 fan :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #208 of 1,656
Has anyone ever tried foam tip to sm64? Just changed mine with foam tip from shure 535. I like it more than biflange stock tip. Sound seems smoother now.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #209 of 1,656
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried foam tip to sm64? Just changed mine with foam tip from shure 535. I like it more than biflange stock tip. Sound seems smoother now.

I tried Shure Olives with the SM64 and they are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back