Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #32 of 1,656
Quote:
I just got the modified SM64 back from Earsonics. Indeed the highs are now tamed. The soundstage still seems excellent, even better than the Westone 4. The treble really is excellent but now is less bright. I really like these much better than the Westones (which are excellent). I always felt the Westones were a little dark & lacking in clarity at low volumes.

how is compare to your fitear 334?

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 1,656
Quote:
Does that mod make it a v2 version? I got mine yesterday and the highs seem perfect, not bright at all.

Jup, now he is the proud owner of the second version :wink:

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #35 of 1,656
Quote:
Mine was labeled as v2 on the receipt. Also got a Go Vibe Martini+ amp for free. I tried it briefly but for the most part I don't need to use it!

Oh really? What source are you using?

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #36 of 1,656
I just run them straight out an iPod Classic 160GB G6. Plenty of volume except for listening to some Patricia Barber and some classical CDs, then an amp would be handy.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #37 of 1,656
Quote:
I just got the modified SM64 back from Earsonics. Indeed the highs are now tamed. The soundstage still seems excellent, even better than the Westone 4. The treble really is excellent but now is less bright. I really like these much better than the Westones (which are excellent). I always felt the Westones were a little dark & lacking in clarity at low volumes.

How is the bass response compared to W4?

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 1,656
Quote:
Quote:

How is the bass response compared to W4?

As far as I can tell it's the mid bass and lower mid range that is more linear on the SM64 compared to the Westone 4.  I feel like that area did make the Westone's sound a little dark.  For some people who like that sound it may actually be a positive though.  The rest of the midrange is quite similar, while the clarity of the SM64 beats the Westone 4 hands down all day long.  More high frequency extension.

I just got my used RSA Intruder in and so far it's really really sweet.  The extra power over the C421 does make a difference.  The sound is a little fuller, the sub-bass more apparent and ever so slightly better defined.  A slightly cleaner presentation all around with great imaging.

The sound is different from the Schiit Lyr.  This IEM does respond well to the warmth of the Mullard 2492 tubes and the power of the lyr.  In short this is an IEM that loves power.  It sounds great on the +6 gain setting (mid) on the intruder with the volume knob at about 1 o'clock.

I to would love some thoughts on the SM64 vs the Fit Ear 334.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #40 of 1,656
I'm still trying to find single flange silicone ear tips that fit the skinny stem of these. Will these Shure tips fit snugly?---> http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EASFX1-10L-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0024N8GB6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #41 of 1,656
It looks like they will. But the smaller opening might change the sound.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #42 of 1,656
Since Earsonics tips fit Westone, the reverse should be true too. Maybe see if they make a single you think would fit.

Bought a pair of these used, but they didn't get sent due to an accident on the way to the post office. All these good impressions, grr...

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #43 of 1,656
There is a whole thread here on head-fi about a variety of tips for the SM3. Since the SM64 and the SM3 have the same "shell" you could look for some more impressions there.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #44 of 1,656
Here is my 2 cents short impression.

I just bought the SM64. This is one IEM that is every bit as good as fitear 334. I believe I have the revised version as the treble is not harsh yet it still sparkle (a very rare quality and not easy). TG334 is darker than sm64 and AKG3003i is brighter than sm64, so SM64 sit in the middle. It similar to EX1000 treble quality.

Base on memory the soundstage is slightly wider than fitear 334 but not as tall. Imaging is fantastic, really good..very 3D overall. Bass quality and quantity is really good. Bass is tight, goes deep yet not boomy (another rare quality), I can feel there is a sub woofer equivalent here with a very properly tune crossover and does not muddle with the mid. TG334 has more bass quantity (sometimes too much), but does not go as deep as SM64. The vocal sound very natural, again it sit in the middle between fitear 334 and AKG3003i, not too creamy, not too hash, just the right amount. I don't find it a V shape sound at all.

Fit is perfect, I am using the silicon tip similar to Shure 535. No vacuum suction feeling when pulling in and out of ear.

This is not burn in yet. I have only 10hrs now. Will keep burning in. I am using Centrance Dacport 1ohm mode. So far I really like what I hear. Isolation is as good as Shure 535 but have not really tested it on the plan (which I will next week). By the way it sound good even with my Samsung galaxy S3 hp out.

I don't quite like the plastic shell, I hope they use metal like the akg3003i or use some resin mold similar to TG334. When I first had the SM64 in my hands, I was turn off by the look, it looked like $100 to me, but when I put it on, I was like wow, I was blown away. I think the sound is worth close to $1,000 in almost the same league TG334 and AKG3003i which is pretty good, I can't seems to fault it. I sometimes do wish it is slightly more airy like what a really high end phone would have or al least on par with akg3003i or TH900, but it really is good enough, I don't miss anything here.

So in short SM64 look $100 with a $1,000 sound. Its really a fun audiophile IEM.

More impression coming. I will also be testing the IE800 and see where SM64 stands.. next week.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #45 of 1,656
Oh yes, SM64 is a pretty detail IEM, I am still amaze that it cost less than half of TG334 and AKG3003i, perhaps it saved on the packaging (one of the worst for the asking price). It has a white box with no printing & plastic wrap with the Styrofoam like black protective cover at the top... but I don't care and actually love how its is price this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back