Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
May 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #541 of 1,656
I would tend to agree that it's an adaptation to sound signature and you either like it or don't. There is some "getting used to" when at an extreme, in my experience, super bass heavy or something  linearly "balanced " like Etymotic. Those take several days for me to adapt. I did seem to notice a difference after about a month with the W3, it wasn't as sibilant. I don't think the SM64's need any sort of "burn in" brain or otherwise, unless you're used to a very different signature. 

May 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #542 of 1,656
Quote:

There's no proof either way my friend.  Proving brain-in would require a brain scan, at the very least while listening to the headphones.  There is no known working technique to do that as of right now.

hahahha... absolutely love headfi.

I gain a lot of insight happiness at headfi almost everyday..

May 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #543 of 1,656
Burn in may be in my brain or elsewhere - but I know that my IE8 opened up after 100+ hours - I had 2 pair at one point (3 when you count the fake!) And i could definitely tell the diff between the IE8's - Another pair that benefited was my Audiofly AF56 - big 13mm driver - really sounded thick for a while. Now bass has tamed down and mids and highs broke through. Could be all in my head - IMO it isn't.

I don't want the brain scan - they'd make me do something about the tumor.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #544 of 1,656
Quote:
Missing the point, the sweep is to test the response, the 5k notch obviously messes up its musicality, it's a crucial frequency region.

Inks,

So what's the ramification of a 5k notch like this when listening to a typical song?  Are we loosing out on cymbals?  Other?

Thanks.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #545 of 1,656
So what's the ramification of a 5k notch like this when listening to a typical song?  Are we loosing out on cymbals?  Other?

Thanks.

Oh cymbals are totally fine for me. Pretty natural and precise, if you ask me. And overall the sound feels "full". I don't really miss the 5khz, and again they don't miss, they are just a bit quiet :-D

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #546 of 1,656
Quote:
Burn in may be in my brain or elsewhere - but I know that my IE8 opened up after 100+ hours - I had 2 pair at one point (3 when you count the fake!) And i could definitely tell the diff between the IE8's - Another pair that benefited was my Audiofly AF56 - big 13mm driver - really sounded thick for a while. Now bass has tamed down and mids and highs broke through. Could be all in my head - IMO it isn't.

In my experience dynamic drivers (Denon C751 & Brainwavz R1) need to be broken in, but balanced armature drivers (TF10, B2, W4 & SM64) don't.

I don't want the brain scan - they'd make me do something about the tumor.

LOL!  (I hope that was a joke)

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #547 of 1,656
Quote:

In my experience dynamic drivers (Denon C751 & Brainwavz R1) need to be broken in, but balanced armature drivers (TF10, B2, W4 & SM64) don't.

LOL!  (I hope that was a joke)

How dare you said Denon C751 are broken in. We need to SCAN you! zzzZZaappp!!

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #548 of 1,656
Does everyone use Star tips? I have a big problem with fit of my right ear.
- For the last time, my friend in SYd try to measure and listen everything that related to treble( his amp v200/V800). He said the treble is so ( can be called terrible). It is even worse than his W4. I don't want to believe it and hate graphic but actually for unamp, I felt It's not good in treble.hixx

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #550 of 1,656
Inks,

Thanks.

You lose clarity and edge to the sound.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #551 of 1,656
Can eq be used to sufficiently simulate a 5k suckout like on the sm64? 

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #552 of 1,656
You lose clarity and edge to the sound.

Can you be more specific? I looked at both:

www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

... and don't get what you mean.

Is clarity = detail?

Is there a link with an explanation or example sounds?

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #553 of 1,656
Yesterday, I received this graph from Franck - Earsonics with the note: "After 15Khz, there is a big atténuation due to the testing systeme reflection phase annulation accident of our synthetic ear". Same as most of us, Earsonics does not want their customers making decision based on the graph but what they actually hear. That is why we do not see Earsonics publish technical measurements on their website. The notch at 5KHz as you can see in the graph (around -5 to -10dB) was made intentionally to avoid aggressive and sibilant treble. By the way, I, personally, prefer this thread will go as the old way, more impression less graph or technical measurement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back