Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
May 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #391 of 1,656
Ericr, if your sm64 is the v1..using the silicone tips or olive tips (they are different) will help of smoothing the sound of your v1..especially for the sparkling highs. However...i did find the shure's tips is a bit shorter compared to the biflange stock tip of the sm64. Meaning, in my case..when i use shure's tip on my sm64..i need to push sm64's shell harder to make the nozzle going deeper into my ears canal for better fit and seal. Therefore..for long period of listening i found the housing press gave me a bit of a pain to my ears. But the sound was indeed more smooth compared to the biflange stock tip...thou i do not recomend using the same tip on the sm64v2.

I think if you want to try the olive tips...u should check the one on westone's which is a bit longer compared to shure's one and i think they will fit better (i never tried it but one of member here post the picture of westone's tip).

May 8, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #392 of 1,656
I received my Sm64,

All I can say is that they are incredible, very sweet and dynamic at the same time, organic, 3d, cohérent, precise, neutral and balanced at the same time... I also have the EM6, Heir 5.0 at this moment. 

What I like the most is the Upper middle, low treble transition that is much sweeter, almost to my ears, than the Heir 5.0 that can sometimes sound harsh in this frequency region. 

Thank you ES...

May 9, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #393 of 1,656
How does the SM64 compare to the Heir 5.0? Just wondering, I´ve never heard a Heir product since they are so expensive to import with our nice 24%VAT + additional customs fees...

May 9, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #394 of 1,656
Quote:
How does the SM64 compare to the Heir 5.0? Just wondering, I´ve never heard a Heir product since they are so expensive to import with our nice 24%VAT + additional customs fees...

Hey mate, try Heir Audio UK, you will get better deals. If I am not mistaking, they first send your product to the UK and from there, they will send it to your home. So no problem with custom taxes whatsoever.

Sorry to talk about this in EarSonics thread but I just wanted to help a fellow Head-fier.

May 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #395 of 1,656
Thanks, maybe I´ll check them out some day. Not really interested in their universals (the new Shure and StageDiver 3 are the only ones that I´m following), but I have an itch to try a custom someday :)

May 9, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #396 of 1,656
ok, so I was just about to let go of my sm64, because I actually was preferring my sm3 v2. The Sm64 just didn't seem to have the same imaging and dynamics that I was getting from the sm3's.  
As I finished putting them up on the headphones FS thread, I remembered that I left them burning in today since early this morning...
I remember reading a long time ago, how burning in BA iems was not necessary and pretty much useless so I never really did it to BA iems.
I put them on and I'll be damned, they've started opening up and there is the imaging and dynamics that were missing compared to the sm3's. Needless to say I closed my FS post and will probably axe the sm3's instead (well maybe
size]
).
Thanks to Average Joe's review I remembered to burn these in and it actually worked... no I'm not getting used to the sonic signature, no it's not brain burn in, no it's not my imagination.
I'm not sure if it was the actual BA's that burned in, or the crossovers, or the cable, or the wax inside of my ears, but there is something there that wasn't there before!
size]

May 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #397 of 1,656
I did comparison before between my sm3v2 and sm64. As i can recall..sm64 has (maybe way) better imaging than my sm3v2. IMHO i think sm3v2 is no comparison to sm64. The sm64v1 has a bit of sparkling compared to sm3v2 which has that unforgetable creamy mids. But u can get the same flavour like sm3v2 with sm64v2 but with higher resolution and better clarity (and imaging of course)

At the end..i think personal preference that really does matter :D

May 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #399 of 1,656
Can someone send their pair to Rin or Tyll? 

Some reliable measurements would make my decision much easier
tongue.gif

If one is sent to Rin, I can offer a W4+100ohms+grey dampers for loan, which is the best configuration of the W4. 

Not only that, we can offer dampers to tune the sound of these

May 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #400 of 1,656
I really want SM64 compared to W4. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back