Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #241 of 1,656
I have a question for you guys. Is sm64 smaller when w4 or about the same size. W4 is little big for my ears.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #242 of 1,656
Quote:
Oh if you want more mids, then the v2 is the thing you should go for :)

I hope so Tom, as already placed my order :)...though i doubt still that the mids will be as good as presented by shure 535 red. 

Quote:
If you want to beat 535 on the mid (nothing but the mid), you will need TG334. The Sm64 v1 or 2 is not going to cut it. The mid is Shure 535 greatest strength and that's is why they sell like hot cakes from the 500 series onwards..  For a headphone equivalent that could beat the Shure 535 on the mid will be the ATH W3000ANV. If you love Shure 535 type of tonality the TG334 or ATH W3000ANV will floor you completely. SM64 is not a mid eccentric phone. IMO

I agree with you. I feel like tg334 is way to go if i want similar presentation but with higher resolution and better in overall sound. But the thing is...TG334 is being a very rare item in my place. Waiting for it to be available is like as long waiting someone to win a lottery 
size]
...the cheapest price i can get is around $1,487 (up to $1,617)..but i am pretty sure tg334 will satisfy me...wait until the time comes..if i still have money left with me 
size]

My ie800 is on the way to my hand...i hope is able to get rid of TG334 from my wish 
size]

Quote:
With my portable sources ( and various software players and tips), I found the SM64 to be lean and less engaging in the mid vocal region than my standard edition 535. The SM64 has punchier (and slightly cleaner) mid-bass and more aggressive highs (though not much more with isolating tips). Sub-bass and soundstage were about equal.

I was afraid I wouldn't find better midrange without going to the very top of the universal IEM market. If the TG334 had a 2.5mm nozzle, I would have ordered one months ago. I have one earphone with a huge nozzle like the TG334 and it sat in its box for years because of it. Oh well.....

Very much agree with you...after listening about 30 mins with my shure 535...then switch instantly with my sm64v1...i feel like the singer is far away from my face...all i heard is huge punchy bass and sparkling highs 
size]

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #243 of 1,656
Today I had the chance to compare the SM64 with the Sennheiser HD800+a stupidly big tube-amp.

Guess what, the HD800 does everything better. Surprise :p

....that's all.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #245 of 1,656
Quote:
I have a question for you guys. Is sm64 smaller when w4 or about the same size. W4 is little big for my ears.

Big in which dimension? I had the W3 which is the same shell I believe, there is little difference in the diameter, but the depth is less in the SM64. 
are you having trouble with the diameter? If so perhaps try a longer tip?

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #246 of 1,656
Quote:
Sure thanks!

If you like the V1 already, I suggest you keep it as they don't make them anymore. If you swap and regret, you will have a hard time getting the V1 back. The V1 is really fine and unique for what it does, its more of a EX1000 type than TG334, the relax airy type. The V2 is moving towards the TG334 path, a darker and smoother presentation that is a little forward.

To get some perspective on relative terms, here's how I see (in general) and IMO;

If you like the Sony EX1000, and love the Denon D5/7000, then V1 is the one for you. Bass as deep as you want to go (almost as deep as TH900 - 90% there) it lacks the final deep bass bounce of the Denon line, incredible sound stage (2nd only to Ex1000 - 95% there) with very nice sparkle at the top. This kind of tonality will have a slight recess in the mid (similar to Denon and TH900), if you can get pass that, then the V1 is the one for you. The TH900 is the ultimate reference for this kind of sound.

If you like the Shure 535 and TG334, then V2 is your kind of IEM. The V2 has much more bass than Shure 535 and quantity almost at the level of TG334 though lacking some detail and texture of TG334.It also has more treble energy and wider soundstage than both of these IEM. You must also like the boosted mid bass than sub bass, then you will like the V2. The HD650 and LCD-3 is the ultimate reference for this kind of sound.

I also think if you put on comply foam, the brightness will probably be on par with V2 on silicon tip (V1 still has more treble though), but the bass is a different story altogether.

EDIT - The above differences is more like an audiophile difference, which means both v1 and v2 still share the same sound signature, I just did a zoom in differences to get a clearer pespective.

I love my Sm 64 v1, as one day I found out my left ear peace sound breiter than my right ear peace .
i can get replacement from Jaben , now the problem sm 64 v1 don't have stock anymore 
mad.gif

i can choose between sm 64 v1 demo or sm 64 v2 shield unit 

i worry after I read your review that sm 64 v2 sound to warm for me and as you said a bit dull.
is that sm 64 v2 sound more like sm 3 v1  or more like sm 3 v2 ?

please help me to make decision .because I can get exchange only 1 time .

thank you

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #247 of 1,656
I would still choose the v1 as i absoultely love the treble sparkle. The v2 is noticeable warmer but not by very much but enough to loose the sss but details are still well preserved. The thing about v2 is it lost that crystal clear sparkle in v1

Are u able to do an a/b comparison at Jaben? if not try, switch the v1 with comply foam and turn the brightness about 10-15% down at frequency 16k using poweramp, it will sound similar like that on the treble. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #248 of 1,656
Quote:
I would still choose the v1 as i absoultely love the treble sparkle. The v2 is noticeable warmer but not by very much but enough to loose the sss but details are still well preserved. The thing about v2 is it lost that crystal clear sparkle in v1

Are u able to do an a/b comparison at Jaben? if not try, switch the v1 with comply foam and turn the brightness about 10-15% down at frequency 16k using poweramp, it will sound similar like that on the treble. 

Hi Audiowood 
thank you for your suggestion.

this evening I went by Jaben , Jaben has very good service to me.
i can choose between demo sm 64 v1 compare to brand new sm 64 v2

source : AK 100 DIY mod
amp : pico power orange colour 
iems : sm 64 v1 and v2

sm 64 v1 :
high : more extended and sparkle 
mid : not as forward than v2
bass : less impact than v2 , but more clean than v2
separation : has better separation compare v2
soundstage : wider than v2

sm 64 v2 :
high : less sparkle but the same detail like v1
mid : more forward than v1
bass : more impact in the mid bass region 
separation : not as good as v 1
soundstage : not as wide as v 1

in this case the sm 64 v2 out the box has chanel unbalance 
At the end I choose sm 64 v1 again , the demo unit look new 

this is my IMO 

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #249 of 1,656
Cool, I am glad you resolved it by A/B comparison. Seems like we have the same take on the differences between V1 and V2 and the same tonality preference hahaha..
Anyway I bought the Twag v3 for SM64 V1. The wire has some loose connection on the left side so I bought this to go with it. I shower too much love already on my SM64.

[size=11pt]I might do a short shoot out between stock cable & Twag V3 when I get it.[/size]

[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt][/size]

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #250 of 1,656
Looking at the comparison I somehow get the feeling V1 was the original vision for the product, but after some negative feedback they panicked/decided to play it safe and gravitate towards a more mainstream friendly tuning. In other words the original vision was compromised a bit... The SM64 is still an IEM I´ll be considering though. There´s just not enough reviews so far.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #251 of 1,656
I'm more and more thinking that my upgraded v2 are kind of special...I don't hear a change in the soundstage or separation at all. The bass is only slightly diffrent (a bit more forward but punchy as on the first day), the mids are like rudi said, but again, the highs only lost their super sssssssssss (if you know what I mean) that made listening to Charles Toliver, Miles Davis etc. an unbearable experience. Maybe I'm just allergic to 16khz frequencys or whatever, but I still enjoy the great overall sparkly highs of the v2.
That's just my opinion. I also think that Earsonics might have panicked a little bit. Maybe it would have been a better decision to offer a ehhhh "fun-edition" additional to the v1? No idea if this would be that easy from a business standpoint :p
I love my v2 and I hope I will learn to love them even more when I get my Fiio X3 in the near future :wink:

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #252 of 1,656
Quote:
I'm more and more thinking that my upgraded v2 are kind of special...I don't hear a change in the soundstage or separation at all. The bass is only slightly diffrent (a bit more forward but punchy as on the first day), the mids are like rudi said, but again, the highs only lost their super sssssssssss (if you know what I mean) that made listening to Charles Toliver, Miles Davis etc. an unbearable experience. Maybe I'm just allergic to 16khz frequencys or whatever, but I still enjoy the great overall sparkly highs of the v2.
That's just my opinion. I also think that Earsonics might have panicked a little bit. Maybe it would have been a better decision to offer a ehhhh "fun-edition" additional to the v1? No idea if this would be that easy from a business standpoint :p
I love my v2 and I hope I will learn to love them even more when I get my Fiio X3 in the near future :wink:

Could be you are very lucky head fier here , that you get the good ones from sm 64 v2 upgrade .

an open critics to Earsonics please increase the quality control , my sm 64 v1 has Chanel unbalance , left site has breiter sound than the right ones , problem with the high driver.

yesterday at Jaben store just opened for me sm 64 v2 , has also Chanel unbalance , this problem with midrange driver , that the mid sound more to the right site.

i am as fans from Earsonic from sm3 v2 and now sm 64 hope more quality control to their beautiful product sm 64 series.

Quote:
Cool, I am glad you resolved it by A/B comparison. Seems like we have the same take on the differences between V1 and V2 and the same tonality preference hahaha..
Anyway I bought the Twag v3 for SM64 V1. The wire has some loose connection on the left side so I bought this to go with it. I shower too much love already on my SM64.

[size=11pt]I might do a short shoot out between stock cable & Twag V3 when I get it.[/size]

[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt][/size]

Thank you 
i have whiplash twag and Twcu hybrid v2 , SQ wise got some improvement for sm 64 v1

Quote:
Looking at the comparison I somehow get the feeling V1 was the original vision for the product, but after some negative feedback they panicked/decided to play it safe and gravitate towards a more mainstream friendly tuning. In other words the original vision was compromised a bit... The SM64 is still an IEM I´ll be considering though. There´s just not enough reviews so far.

Look like v1 was the first  or original SQ from sm 64 , in this case has different soundzig as my previous sm 3 v2,
i like the SQ from sm 64 v1 
after comparison yesterday between v1 and v2 .
maybe because Chanel unbalance from sm 64 v2, become sound quality is not perfect from v2?
i wish Jaben open another v2 unit that I can try it again.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #255 of 1,656
If iam not wrong....we are talking 3 different sm64 in this thread....
1. Sm64v1 - this is what rudi and audiowood preferred.
2. Sm64v1 revised - this is what tom yam gung preferred.
3. Sm64v2 - this is what rudi said about channel imbalance.

--- i will confirm with jaben about this channel imbalance before they sent me one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back