EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
May 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #181 of 2,831
Thanks KLS, my concern about ergonomics is this. When the phone is in your ear, does the tip angle in towards the center of your head, or out a bit, like say the Triple.fi? or is it nearly a straight shot. If you've ever seen the angle on the klipsch Custom3, it angles inward, which basically pokes agianst the side of my canal clogging up much of the music. I was able to work around it, but really would hate to deal with it again. I am hoping shure single flange tips will create a seal for me, If not, maybe the newer Black shure foams with the slick surface. I don't know if my canals are angled oddly or not, never had this problem before. With any other iem. I deeply appreciate your effort.

May 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #182 of 2,831
There are some better pictures of SM3 here:
http://www.journaldugeek.com/2010/04/01/test-ecouteurs-iem-earsonics-sm3/

Sorry I actually don't get what you mean here
ph34r.gif

For SM3, the nozzle is not perpendicular to the housing.

I have never seen the Custom 3 in real, and by angled inwards you mean the nozzle and the housing form an acute angle? If that's the case, both TF10 and SM3 forms obtuse angle (around 120 degrees) with their nozzle and housing.

I hope that I am not confusing you...

May 9, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #183 of 2,831
No, I think we're on the same page, the way the TF10 is perfect for me, the klipsch custom 3 angles very oddly  (opposite direction)   If the TF10 is an obtuse angle, then so is the SM3, The C3 is acute, for sure, thanks for the help. A big concern alleviated. That pic link actually made it pretty easy to tell me what I wanted to know......Thanks again, Frank

May 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #185 of 2,831
I'm still trying to visualise how these would fit with cable down, can someone tell me which is left and which is right with the SM3's? I'm still not sure from looking at the photos

May 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #186 of 2,831
hmm,in terms of ergonomics they look similar to um3x which is sits flushly and it is the most comfortable iem that entered my ears.
shigzeo,is the sm3 big improvement on um3x?if they share the same nuetralish sound with a recessed highs,then i can see alot of people dissapointed in them,mainly because this type of sound can be boring with no wow factor.i certainly enjoy my um3x and specificaly for trance because of the intimate sound but i can forsee alot of people hate that type of sound,ofcourse if the sm3 is similar in being that neutral.

May 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #187 of 2,831

Quote:
For those who bought SM3 directly from EarSonics, where do you live and how long did the shipping take for you? For 30 Euros it better be fast.

Ordered on a Friday, got it the next Friday.

Quote:
@ Joe, I meant getting proper fit with the FX on the smallest tips, and none other. It will be less of a U shape, assuming if you can get a seal with FX, using the smallest tip. From my listening, I can say that it's definitely not neutral, but I like it a lot over my IE8.

Well, perhaps until I heard the SM3, then I can really make a verdict then...time to find a good place to sell IE8 and Etymotic. Does anyone know when is the x-Jays coming out?

OK, I tried the smallest tips, and unless I am supposed to listen to the FX700 without a seal and almost no bass, it doesn't work for me.  Regardless, the space is still not as 3D, nor as wide, nor as realistic sounding.  Not saying the FX700 is bad (as I have repeatedly stated) and many on here may prefer the non accurate 'fun' sound of the FX700 (although the SM3 is fun when the song is).  Restating...the SM3 has the most true to life, accurate music presentation of any IEM I have ever heard!  But alas, this is the SM3 thread, not the FX700 thread, nor the FX700 vs. SM3 thread.  If you would like to continue this, please post your thoughts/questions in the FX700 thread or a new thread, thank you :)

Quote:
When you didn't post any impressions straight after you received your SM3 and listen to them, I sense that you are having some problem, or in fact is regretting your purchase
regular_smile%20.gif

You are very faithful to your pair of E2C I have to say.

Actually, I don't think that there is a single person to be WOWed by SM3 out of the box (a little bit exagerrated I know). For my case, the disappointment on the first day I put SM3 in my ears last me some 2 to 3 weeks...At that time I thought that even IE8 is far more better than SM3...I was tasting the most regrettable moment in my audio life...(By the way, the regrettable moment ranking number 1 is HiFiMAN, for now)

Like others suggested, give them more time and try different tips with them. Do they need physical burn in, I am not sure, but in my opinion at least your brain need some adjustment to the sound signature of SM3.

60 over days passed since I got my SM3, and now I have decided to get custom sleeves for them. We are different individuals and we don't hear the same thing, we have different sound signature preferences, so please share more of your thoughts even if you found out that SM3 is just not as good as expected.

Thanks for this post KLS...when people expect greatness out of the box, chances are, they will be disappointed.  I had my
eek.gif
what did I do time, which is not helped by the lack of tip choices.  I just wish I found the sensorcom tips sooner so I could have them already.  And I should have ordered a custom sleeve also, but who knew...I will in the near future.  Anyways, another negative of the SM3 out of the box is the cable.  Now, the actual cable construction is awesome, but for those of us that wear the cable down the front, the length is too short, causing the Y split to be up against the chin/neck area.  Of course, I beleive the cable is supposed to be worn behind the back.  But even then, the cable relaxes with time and wearing them in the front is now fine.

Of course, out of the box, picking through the issues I could still hear the greatness peaking through.  At the beginning of GuyDebord's EM3 Pro thread there was mention of burn in, which gave me faith the SM3 would improve, which it did.  Tremendously!

@ snedanator: I too am looking forward to your impressions, good or bad.  As KLS stated, chances are not everyone will appreciate the SM3 as I [and others] do, and counter points from owners is welcome and will help the overall community make a decision!

Quote:
Thanks KLS, my concern about ergonomics is this. When the phone is in your ear, does the tip angle in towards the center of your head, or out a bit, like say the Triple.fi? or is it nearly a straight shot. If you've ever seen the angle on the klipsch Custom3, it angles inward, which basically pokes agianst the side of my canal clogging up much of the music. I was able to work around it, but really would hate to deal with it again. I am hoping shure single flange tips will create a seal for me, If not, maybe the newer Black shure foams with the slick surface. I don't know if my canals are angled oddly or not, never had this problem before. With any other iem. I deeply appreciate your effort.

Quote:
The SM3 is probably the most comfortable earphone I've used. I can even sleep with it. The body lies almost flat with the inner part of my ear. Wonderful.

Yes, very easy to sleep with, and very comfortable.  I have found others very comfortable also, so I won't say the most comfortable, but I haven't A/Bed for comfort :wink:

May 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #189 of 2,831
What is the red color thing inside the earphone? Is it some sort of color coded wire? is there any other place to get it apart from earsonics.com? and is there any other payment method? I'd be glad if there's paypal to be used.

oh and Joe, it was just purely a suggestion to use the smallest tip, as Eripc10 also concurred with me. No offence or anything. And I didn't try to make any comparison between SM3 and FX in my last post. Just that I heard significant improvement on the sound using the smallest tip, so I figured to share it with the people here.

Cheers

May 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #190 of 2,831

Quote:
I'm still trying to visualise how these would fit with cable down, can someone tell me which is left and which is right with the SM3's? I'm still not sure from looking at the photos

There is a blue 'rubberish' thing inside the left housing and red in the right.

In the dark however, you can feel the nozzle and the place where the cable is coming out from the housing (the strain relief) to identify left/right. As shown in the picture above, hold one housing in each hand, fiddling and swapping the housing between hands to make the nozzle facing each other and be sure that strain relief is above the nozzle. Then you should have your left hand holding the left housing and right hand holding the right. And as you can see from the picture the word 'ES' is upright in both housings. Sorry for my bad explanation...

May 9, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #191 of 2,831
So the 'rubberish' thing serves only to differentiate left and right? or is it anything like a cable connected to the crossover/drivers? has anyone mentioned about the nozzle diameter yet? I have some etymotic triple flange lying around, if those fit then when I get the SM3, I would not have to get new tips.

May 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #192 of 2,831

Quote:
For those who bought SM3 directly from EarSonics, where do you live and how long did the shipping take for you? For 30 Euros it better be fast.

It took around 8 days for them to arrive Japan
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
What is the red color thing inside the earphone? Is it some sort of color coded wire? is there any other place to get it apart from earsonics.com? and is there any other payment method? I'd be glad if there's paypal to be used.

oh and Joe, it was just purely a suggestion to use the smallest tip, as Eripc10 also concurred with me. No offence or anything. And I didn't try to make any comparison between SM3 and FX in my last post. Just that I heard significant improvement on the sound using the smallest tip, so I figured to share it with the people here.

Cheers

I think the red and blue thing is some kind of insulator or protector, which act as left/right indicator too.

EDIT: I don't think they have anything to do with the crossover or drivers. The size of the nozzle is similar to those of Westones, they accept T-100 comply tips.

May 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #194 of 2,831

Quote:
Thanks for this post KLS...when people expect greatness out of the box, chances are, they will be disappointed.  I had my
eek.gif
what did I do time, which is not helped by the lack of tip choices.  I just wish I found the sensorcom tips sooner so I could have them already.  And I should have ordered a custom sleeve also, but who knew...I will in the near future.  Anyways, another negative of the SM3 out of the box is the cable.  Now, the actual cable construction is awesome, but for those of us that wear the cable down the front, the length is too short, causing the Y split to be up against the chin/neck area.  Of course, I beleive the cable is supposed to be worn behind the back.  But even then, the cable relaxes with time and wearing them in the front is now fine.

Of course, out of the box, picking through the issues I could still hear the greatness peaking through.  At the beginning of GuyDebord's EM3 Pro thread there was mention of burn in, which gave me faith the SM3 would improve, which it did.  Tremendously!

Very true
ph34r.gif

Since I use them mostly at home, I am wearing with the cable straight down, so this is not a problem for me. But if to wear them over the ear, better lay the cable behind the back.

May 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #195 of 2,831
Can any owner of SM3 kindly provide some size of the nozzle? thanks in advance!

after owning a few in ears, i found out that my ear canals are extremely sensitive to anything inserted there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back