EarSonics S-EM6 & S-EM6v2 Six driver universal IEM
Oct 6, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #601 of 690
  Oh wow, you like them even more than your LCD-X? That is great to hear (what a terrible pun)
L3000.gif

Ha ha. Well, the LCD-X are going back for repair - suspected polarity inversion - so I'll reserve judgement until I get them back.  But the S-EM6 does everything I want in a pair of HP, from the bass on up. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #603 of 690
I just got the S-EM6 today.

There's no question that they are a relatively "dark" IEM, and I can see why a few folks say "veiled" or "woolly". The latter is, IMO, a very good description: but wool is generally considered to be pretty comfortable and, indeed, comforting, so there is merit to that characteristic.

I auditioned this IEM against the SE846 today. It was the third time I've tried the Shure, and I suspect I'll wind up getting a set. But I already have the SE535, and the sound signature of the 846 is close enough that I wanted to try something different.

The EM6 is quite musical, and the lack of high mids and treble - which can turn a bit harsh on some IEMs - means they're not at all tiring. My SE535s are great for smashing out good rock when I want to wake up in the morning. My FitEar Melomanes (a limited edition - I don't know which standard model it's closest to), which I've had for about two weeks, are crisper with the right placement. But I'm struggling to get a comfortable fit with them, so they might go back. I've ordered the universal version of the UM Merlins which, from my audition, have a properly strong bass and sharper highs than any of the others, so we'll see if they add another flavour to the collection.

These all have a different vibe and work well with different types of music. As someone else said a few pages ago, at this level it's about personal preference and different genres of music.

PS my gear: iPhone 6 playing Tidal downloads > EM6 / FitEar / SE535; and iPhone 6 playing hi-res through Onkyo HF Player > Chord Hugo > EM6 or Denon D7000 closed back (bit like the Fostex TH900).

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #604 of 690
Hello,

I received the news of a new S-EM6 edition... Black edition...

Nice looking...

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #606 of 690
No worry, if they are not delivered they'll be shipped back to you. Can you track your parcel ? 

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #607 of 690
  Hello,

I received the news of a new S-EM6 edition... Black edition...

Nice looking...

Interesting... Maybe we'll see the Red Devil Edition of the Velvet before long.....

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #609 of 690
I'm glad to report my errant sem6 have now turned up and are being cared for by the experts at Earsoncis

Has any one tried upgrading cables with them? In particular Moon Audio dragons? I saw some comments earlier in the thread but nothing very conclusive? Welcome any thoughts.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #610 of 690
I'm glad to report my errant sem6 have now turned up and are being cared for by the experts at Earsoncis

Has any one tried upgrading cables with them? In particular Moon Audio dragons? I saw some comments earlier in the thread but nothing very conclusive? Welcome any thoughts.

I originally got them with an 8-conductor cable from Whiplash. That cable pulled the S-EM6 right out of my ears. I have since switched to a Linum Bax balanced cable and the S-EM6 stay where they are put. The Whiplash cable works fine on other IEMs of mine, but didn't get along with the S-EM6 at all.

May 7, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #611 of 690
Hey guys what up. Considering an EM6.. So going over the posts above, when people say they have a lack of treble do you mean the EM6 is just very midforward with the highs in the background (like the Heir 8.A), or are they slighty recessed? And does the 'wooly' sound result in lack of detail? 

I currently have the Velvet and had the SM64 before. But the two are very different with the Velvet being more V/U-shaped and the SM64 more balanced/mid forward. I kinda imagine the EM6 to be more of a direct upgrade to the SM64 with a similar signature, or am I off here?

May 7, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #612 of 690
Hey guys what up. Considering an EM6.. So going over the posts above, when people say they have a lack of treble do you mean the EM6 is just very midforward with the highs in the background (like the Heir 8.A), or are they slighty recessed? And does the 'wooly' sound result in lack of detail? 

I currently have the Velvet and had the SM64 before. But the two are very different with the Velvet being more V/U-shaped and the SM64 more balanced/mid forward. I kinda imagine the EM6 to be more of a direct upgrade to the SM64 with a similar signature, or am I off here?

Can't compare to the Heir or SM64, but I have the EM6 through a Effect Audio cable (single ended), and its my favourite grab and go IEM for simple set up e.g. Straight into IP6 playing Tidal, or my AK120. The Velvets definitely accentuate high trebles in a mix (sometimes showing up over-trebly mixes. I find that on the first song on Blackberry Smoke's "Holding All The Roses" album, at 16/44, the Velvets show up how over-trebly the handheld percussion and hi hats are). The EM6 has a warmer, smoother sound that doesn't hurt unfavourable mastering as much, IMHO.

May 7, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #613 of 690
Can't compare to the Heir or SM64, but I have the EM6 through a Effect Audio cable (single ended), and its my favourite grab and go IEM for simple set up e.g. Straight into IP6 playing Tidal, or my AK120. The Velvets definitely accentuate high trebles in a mix (sometimes showing up over-trebly mixes. I find that on the first song on Blackberry Smoke's "Holding All The Roses" album, at 16/44, the Velvets show up how over-trebly the handheld percussion and hi hats are). The EM6 has a warmer, smoother sound that doesn't hurt unfavourable mastering as much, IMHO.

Hi FidelityCastro thanks. A familiar name from the Velvet thread :) Yes the Velvet definitely has a focus on highs over mids. So you prefer the EM6 over the Velvet? Which makes sense given your music taste. For blues and rock etc. I also prefer the warmer and midforward 8.A.

Does the EM6 kinda lack detail due to the warm/smooth signature?

May 7, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #614 of 690
Hi FidelityCastro thanks. A familiar name from the Velvet thread :) Yes the Velvet definitely has a focus on highs over mids. So you prefer the EM6 over the Velvet? Which makes sense given your music taste. For blues and rock etc. I also prefer the warmer and midforward 8.A.

Does the EM6 kinda lack detail due to the warm/smooth signature?

Yes I think the EM6 probably does lack final detail, but it has a simple, fun, punchy SQ where you just enjoy the music. And you're right - it works better with guitar-based music.

Entirely for your benefit, I A/B'd EM6 single ended with Merlin single ended into (1) iPhone 6 playing Tidal and (2) iPhone 6 playing Tidal > Hugo.
The result was as follows: when I switched between them, the first reaction was that the EM6 was too muddled / middly - when heard directly after the Merlins, and the Merlins (same for Velvets, really) sounded too trebly directly after the EM6s.

Neither of those assumptions is true in isolation, of course - it was just the immediate comparison from one to the other. But it was a very strong, noticeable difference.

May 7, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #615 of 690
Thanks I know what you mean. When I got my 8.A, I sent my Velvet back to get reshelled into crystal. When I listened to them for the first time after two weeks of the 8.A, the Velvet sounded bright, borderline sibilant, without any mids! Now I readjusted and really like them again. But when you switch between opposites you hear the bad in extreme.

Thanks for the effort :wink: Im kinda doubting now whether the 8.A and S-EM6 are too similar in overall signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back