EarSonics S-EM6 & S-EM6v2 Six driver universal IEM
May 28, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #527 of 690
Miraculously, after some trials with every tips available I gave the stock double flanges another try and guess what I finally managed to find a way to achieve a sustainable seal. It's just a matter of getting used to how to place the largish shell flush in the outer ear and in what orientation to give it a little twist so that it goes deeper and holds onto position.

More hassle than the usual stuff yes, but the rewards are HUGE. Now I agree the stock tips give the most desirable balance, the optimal soundstage and surprisingly almost perfect comfort and isolation.

May 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #528 of 690
  Miraculously, after some trials with every tips available I gave the stock double flanges another try and guess what I finally managed to find a way to achieve a sustainable seal. It's just a matter of getting used to how to place the largish shell flush in the outer ear and in what orientation to give it a little twist so that it goes deeper and holds onto position.

More hassle than the usual stuff yes, but the rewards are HUGE. Now I agree the stock tips give the most desirable balance, the optimal soundstage and surprisingly almost perfect comfort and isolation.

I am also using the stock tips on the S-EM6 and its very comfortable.

May 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #529 of 690
Source is also really important.

I recently changed from iPhone 5S + AK10 (same as beyerdynamic A200p) to Fiio X5, and this indeed was an improvement.

AK10 is not a bad one but its output is rather on the thicker side, so actually it had not been a nice idea to couple it with already thick sounding S-EM6.

Fiio X5 has been a nice solution and I am really happy with this new combo.

Adding decent amp may make it even better but I would rather stay away from that approach as things will be then too bulky.

May 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #530 of 690
  Source is also really important.

I recently changed from iPhone 5S + AK10 (same as beyerdynamic A200p) to Fiio X5, and this indeed was an improvement.

AK10 is not a bad one but its output is rather on the thicker side, so actually it had not been a nice idea to couple it with already thick sounding S-EM6.

Fiio X5 has been a nice solution and I am really happy with this new combo.

Adding decent amp may make it even better but I would rather stay away from that approach as things will be then too bulky.

I agree. For convenience when I do not have a jacket pocket to put my AK100 in I had tried using the S-EM6 straight out of an ipod nano, and although it sounds nothing offensive I could immediate notice the the huge difference in source quality. This I cannot always do with iems of lesser quality. The AK100 is a very nice compromise pairing with the 60ohm S-EM6. 

I also stop myself from adding an amp to the mix. Many of the best portable amps tend to enhance the midrange, but this may actually work against the already mid-full S-EM6. I'm very happy with this slim combo of AK100+S-EM6 (Lush, warm, intimate and sweeeeeeeeeet, AND ready-2-go ultra portable) - this compliments truly perfectly with my AK100+Kojo KM01+Dita Answer (Truth) combo (to-the-point accurate, uber detailed and ultra fast transients, boundless extension).

May 31, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #531 of 690
Yes you should be right because although AK100(DAP) and AK10(Amp) are sharing same DAC Chip (WM8740), interestingly for some reason the output from AK10 is more colored with slightly scooped up punchy bass.
iPhone 5S+AK10 was just a genuine improvement of iPhone 5S sound but not a solution for iPhone 5S's congested mid-range, so there was a feeling that this combo was not pulling out best out of S-EM6.

In comparison AK100 is generally neutral and on the "cooler side" for its sound sig (same apply for AK120 as well) so when used with S-EM6 the result is really good. Very spacious and neat sound.
Not now but for some time I had been using AK120 so I am pretty sure that AK100 or 120 is ideal for S-EM6. 

I am now happy with Fiio X5 but this one gives slightly warmer sound than AKs so when talking only about S-EM6, may be the cooler sounding AKs are better companions.
(hear some opinions AK240 is not as neutral as AK100/120 though)

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #532 of 690
To me, S-EM6 is one particular BA IEM which demands for driving power. My feelings is its really demanding for power, maybe even more demanding than the IE800. If you are happy with AK100/AK120, you shall be even much more happy if you feed more power to it. :wink:

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #534 of 690
Seriously loving the bass on these. Never thought of myself as a basshead but the S-EM6 do bass so well.  The stock tips do need some practice but when you get them right, the rewards are there.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #538 of 690
What cables are you guys using with the S-EM6?

I gave twag V2 gold a try, but later switched to BTG starlight and stick with that for the moment. Somehow SPC or pure copper works better with the S-EM6 than silver for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back