EarSonics S-EM6 & S-EM6v2 Six driver universal IEM
May 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #511 of 690
  If they are the star tips that were released recently, apparantly they go on with a little persuading,  If you look back through the posts on thread you should see rudi's set with a pair on.  You won't be able to use those with the westones after as apparantly they stretch the core too much.  You try at your own risk etc :p

How recently? I got these last summer, and they are no way going on to the S-Em6, core tube too narrow.

May 2, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #513 of 690
You should know how to insert ear tips when buying high end iems, star tips is working on s-em6,but I wouldn't use it unless you want more bass

I guess i should. In my defence, never had a problem with my other iems. Still, thanks for the feedback, I will stick with the stock for now, I don't need more bass from these beauties

May 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #514 of 690
I guess i should. In my defence, never had a problem with my other iems. Still, thanks for the feedback, I will stick with the stock for now, I don't need more bass from these beauties

You can check my comment above, I tested with few different tips or foam,stock one sounds the best while foam provides the best fit for me.I sticked with the stock one as you do.

May 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #518 of 690
If I knew I could test S-EM6/Whiplash combo I could have gone there as I m pretty close.

By the way it's a little pity that I actually love blue ones but I already have crystal...

May 13, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #519 of 690
I got these for a week or so, without any extended audition.

At first I though it was an impulse purchase that shall soon be mourned, but since I love the looks of these (yes looks, not sound......at least not yet) I decided to do some more experiment with these.

And now I got some very, VERY recommendable sound from these. And famously touted as the darkest iem ever by some, I begin to find its own sparkle. Real sparkle, not those discovered by burnt-in ears.

The S-EM6 may be the MOST tip/fit dependent IEM I've ever tried in my 10+ ears of IEM journey. Wrong tips, wrong fit, the sound ranged from the top of the world to crap off-the-shelf el-cheapos. Distance from the drivers to the eardrum is quite finnicky in thise case. FIRST OF ALL, these babies are meant to be fit DEEP. Any shallow insertion returns with a darkish veiled sound. Funny thing, since from my experience many IEMs benefitted from a shallower fit for want of highs, while deep fit usually means more bass. But no in this case a deep fit means EVERYTHING. Not Ety deep, but the sweet spot is close. Secondly, the shell is huge, especially the part in the rear that houses the bass drivers. Because of that, to achieve a deep fit, you have to TWIST them a little (at least that's how it worked in my case), so that the cable (i.e. the memory wire part) is pointing more forward than upward.

I can't get the fit with the included tips..............it's a real strange decision to include only one type of tips of the same size. I settled on the Westone True Fit foams - anyone wanna use the Westone Stars or Truefits or any other tips, please choose those with a SHORTER length - longer ones, even with a deep fit, keep the drivers too far away from the eardrum and as mentioned makes the sound veiled and ridiculously dark.

I still can't decide if these are keepers, mostly because I have too many IEMs to play with already, but for those who are only aiming at one or two top tier IEMs these are highly recommendable PROVIDED THAT you know how to, and you can, achieve a deep and comfy fit with them.

May 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #520 of 690
  I got these for a week or so, without any extended audition.

At first I though it was an impulse purchase that shall soon be mourned, but since I love the looks of these (yes looks, not sound......at least not yet) I decided to do some more experiment with these.

And now I got some very, VERY recommendable sound from these. And famously touted as the darkest iem ever by some, I begin to find its own sparkle. Real sparkle, not those discovered by burnt-in ears.

The S-EM6 may be the MOST tip/fit dependent IEM I've ever tried in my 10+ ears of IEM journey. Wrong tips, wrong fit, the sound ranged from the top of the world to crap off-the-shelf el-cheapos. Distance from the drivers to the eardrum is quite finnicky in thise case. FIRST OF ALL, these babies are meant to be fit DEEP. Any shallow insertion returns with a darkish veiled sound. Funny thing, since from my experience many IEMs benefitted from a shallower fit for want of highs, while deep fit usually means more bass. But no in this case a deep fit means EVERYTHING. Not Ety deep, but the sweet spot is close. Secondly, the shell is huge, especially the part in the rear that houses the bass drivers. Because of that, to achieve a deep fit, you have to TWIST them a little (at least that's how it worked in my case), so that the cable (i.e. the memory wire part) is pointing more forward than upward.

I can't get the fit with the included tips..............it's a real strange decision to include only one type of tips of the same size. I settled on the Westone True Fit foams - anyone wanna use the Westone Stars or Truefits or any other tips, please choose those with a SHORTER length - longer ones, even with a deep fit, keep the drivers too far away from the eardrum and as mentioned makes the sound veiled and ridiculously dark.

I still can't decide if these are keepers, mostly because I have too many IEMs to play with already, but for those who are only aiming at one or two top tier IEMs these are highly recommendable PROVIDED THAT you know how to, and you can, achieve a deep and comfy fit with them.

After sticking to Westone TruFits for a couple of days, I started to worry that the actually narrower openings of both makes of Westone tips would have an impact on sound since it sound quite different from what I hear with the stock tips (when I do get the right seal occasionally)

I then look to the evergreen solution of Shure olives, and there.........................why haven't I think of that before? The sound open up, the trebles soar thru, the soundstage open up, AND I can get a seal in a split second.

BTW lately I have been treating myself to two very opposing flavours in the S-EM6s and the Dita Answer Truth Edition. While I do intend to run in both babies a little, my aim of doing this is actually STOPPING myself from settling into, or getting used to, one sound profile and cannot evaluate the respective sound signatures in a more objective manner. When I switch from the Truth to the S-EM6, the sound noticeably become more laid back, more relaxing, with more beefy mids and vocals, darker yes, but never a lack of highs, or extension thereof. IMHO the sense of brightness doesn't have to do with the highs - rather it's in the high-mids / low-highs region that ears perceive treble quantity. The S-EM6 doesn't bump that area at all, and that may lead many to conclude it's inherently dark. But now I can conclusively say that with the right fit, it does sparkles.........even glitter at times. A mellow yet vastly detailed sound is VERY hard to achieve especially in case of in-ears, and I think Earsonics did a marvelous job in achieving just that.

May 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #521 of 690
After sticking to Westone TruFits for a couple of days, I started to worry that the actually narrower openings of both makes of Westone tips would have an impact on sound since it sound quite different from what I hear with the stock tips (when I do get the right seal occasionally)

I then look to the evergreen solution of Shure olives, and there.........................why haven't I think of that before? The sound open up, the trebles soar thru, the soundstage open up, AND I can get a seal in a split second.

BTW lately I have been treating myself to two very opposing flavours in the S-EM6s and the Dita Answer Truth Edition. While I do intend to run in both babies a little, my aim of doing this is actually STOPPING myself from settling into, or getting used to, one sound profile and cannot evaluate the respective sound signatures in a more objective manner. When I switch from the Truth to the S-EM6, the sound noticeably become more laid back, more relaxing, with more beefy mids and vocals, darker yes, but never a lack of highs, or extension thereof. IMHO the sense of brightness doesn't have to do with the highs - rather it's in the high-mids / low-highs region that ears perceive treble quantity. The S-EM6 doesn't bump that area at all, and that may lead many to conclude it's inherently dark. But now I can conclusively say that with the right fit, it does sparkles.........even glitter at times. A mellow yet vastly detailed sound is VERY hard to achieve especially in case of in-ears, and I think Earsonics did a marvelous job in achieving just that.

Well, maybe you should just stock with stock ear tips, that sounds the best imo (at least I'm using them right now)

May 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #522 of 690
Well, maybe you should just stock with stock ear tips, that sounds the best imo (at least I'm using them right now)

As I've said I can't maintain a consistent seal/fit with the stock tips unfortunately...............I can't understand why they just provide tips in one single size of the same make.

May 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #523 of 690

As I've said I can't maintain a consistent seal/fit with the stock tips unfortunately...............I can't understand why they just provide tips in one single size of the same make.

Not anymore, now they deliver the S-EM6 with two sizes. Ask them :wink:

May 16, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #524 of 690
In my case I usually hate silicon tips for lack of comfort thus I was using Westone foam tips for long time, but very recently re-tested the original silicone bi-flange hearing many opinions that these would give best sound quality.
Quite unexpectedly I am perfectly happy with these for the sound as well as comfort. Lucky one here.

Shures, Sennheisers, Westones, whatsoever,,, they include so so many variety of tips but in my experience most of them are useless to make me end up picking up what I already have... so little skeptical to think that can be a good idea for Earsonics to include as many ear tips as other companies are doing (that may also contribute to make price tag higher). However they should have at least included S/M/L sizes, if, as pointed out, the ear tips selection matters so much to the sound impression.

For the sound impression, my view is that IEMs like S-EM6 require additional time for "brain burn in" for their typical fully closed IEM design, meaning that is very different from what, for example, any open cannes like HD800 can provide.

"Brain burn in" in other expression is "get used to it" and that is nothing special.

The case S-EM6 is the very typical one but for the other IEMs there is always same argument of "sound is not right".
Roxanne Universal, W50, UM pro50... interestingly, for those (similar, in a way they all have super-multi BA drivers design) I ve also seen comments like sound being dark, muffled, congested, etc, but my guess is that after weeks of usage the impression may change drastically towards positive side for anyone.

Looking forward to testing Roxanne Universal to see how those compare to S-EM6.

("We don't need so many drivers!" argument is welcome but I also welcome diversity and love Klipsch X10 with single driver too 
rolleyes.gif
)

May 16, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #525 of 690
  Not anymore, now they deliver the S-EM6 with two sizes. Ask them :wink:

AFAIK they are providing a smaller size in newer batches (in fact mine should be considered rather new - it's a devil red edition) BUT i think i need a larger one instead.

Or maybe it's not size, maybe it's materials........I never had any problems with double flanges from other manufacturers, I'm perfectly happy with those supplied by Cardas, Fitear etc. But for some reason I just can't make the ones that came with the Earsonics work. It happened before on my SM3 as well, which I sold quite a long while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back