EarSonics S-EM6 & S-EM6v2 Six driver universal IEM
Mar 12, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #647 of 690
Very interested to know what has changed soundwise. Owned V1 it was a love and hate relationship. I miss those mids but couldn't stand that excessive warmness and lack of treble and detail.
If they improved highs just a bit keeping those lush mids I'll buy it in a heartbeat..they are unique...

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #648 of 690
I'm looking for some input on whether upgrading to the S-EM6 would be ideal for me or not. 

I like all my IEM's for different reasons, (W4R, GR07 BE, UE TF10, MDR 7550).

W4R - smooth, coherent, detailed, but almost too warm, not enough treble
GR07 BE - balanced, slightly warm, detailed, but just not real emotional
UE TF10 - exciting, dynamic, maybe too much dynamics?
MDR7550 - balanced, slightly warm, detailed, not too bad

I have searched for comparisons to the W4R but couldn't find any. I wonder if the S-EM6 would have more treble than that Westone? 

My fav full size is the HD650, and IEM the W4R, however I really wish they had just a touch more treble....

I am older and I cannot hear treble as well as I had in the past. Maybe that's why I feel they could use a little more highs?

I have also been considering the Campfire Jupiter as well, but it may not have the warmness/bass as these do?

A couple more thoughts. I think the Westone W4R is by far the most comfortable IEM I have ever had and would like to stay with a similar comfortable IEM. And another one I have considered is the SM64 but that may be too similar to the W4R? Have also considered the SE846. 

I would prefer one that is easy to drive and sound ok out of a phone or small DAP.

Sorry to bring up other brands on a Earsonics thread, but I'm open to other brands as well.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #649 of 690
If you're looking for more treble than W4R you are in the wrong thread. S-EM6 (V1) is well known for its recessed treble but on the other hand their mids are one of a kind, truly emotional, lush and engaging...

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #650 of 690
  If you're looking for more treble than W4R you are in the wrong thread. S-EM6 (V1) is well known for its recessed treble but on the other hand their mids are one of a kind, truly emotional, lush and engaging...

Hmm, to me the mids of the W4R are lush, does the S-EM6 have mids similar to the W4R?

I do love the mids of it and would hate to give up that "truly emotional, lush and engaging"

So is the treble of the S-EM6 more recessed than the W4R, or are they comparable?

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #651 of 690

Hmm, to me the mids of the W4R are lush, does the S-EM6 have mids similar to the W4R?

I do love the mids of it and would hate to give up that "truly emotional, lush and engaging"
So is the treble of the S-EM6 more recessed than the W4R, or are they comparable?

The treble on the S-EM6 (version 1, never heard the second version) is definitely more recessed than that of the W4R. I love my S-EM6 and currently they are my favorite IEM just because of how unique they are. That said, if you find the W4R the most comfortable, I also worry about the size of the S-EM6 for you. They are large and they have to sort of fit into your ear to get a good seal. On Noble Audio universals, for example, the tip protrudes into your ear and all is well. But on these, I find that I literally have to shove them into my ear to get a good seal. It's not an issue for me because it works, but, I also feel like comfort would be hit or miss. 

I guess the too-long-didn't-read moral of the story is this: if you can find them in store, please try them and see if they work for you. I love them more than my other 12 pairs of IEMs because of their musical, listen-all-day nature. I will never get rid of them. They are not the most technical IEMs, they do not have a neutral frequency response, but for certain genres of music I think many IEMs fall very very short of the S-EM6. They're just special. 

That was probably convoluted. Try to find them and test them in person :)

-Collin-

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #652 of 690
Certainly very interesting... I was considering Velvet V2 but the fit of S-EM6 V2 would certainly be better to me.

Any impressions on V2?

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #653 of 690

The treble on the S-EM6 (version 1, never heard the second version) is definitely more recessed than that of the W4R. I love my S-EM6 and currently they are my favorite IEM just because of how unique they are. That said, if you find the W4R the most comfortable, I also worry about the size of the S-EM6 for you. They are large and they have to sort of fit into your ear to get a good seal. On Noble Audio universals, for example, the tip protrudes into your ear and all is well. But on these, I find that I literally have to shove them into my ear to get a good seal. It's not an issue for me because it works, but, I also feel like comfort would be hit or miss. 

I guess the too-long-didn't-read moral of the story is this: if you can find them in store, please try them and see if they work for you. I love them more than my other 12 pairs of IEMs because of their musical, listen-all-day nature. I will never get rid of them. They are not the most technical IEMs, they do not have a neutral frequency response, but for certain genres of music I think many IEMs fall very very short of the S-EM6. They're just special. 

That was probably convoluted. Try to find them and test them in person :)

-Collin-

Thanks for your input.
I really enjoy the W4R's signature, as I do the HD650, however like I said each would be perfect, IMO, with just a touch more treble. And if the treble of the S-EM6 is more recessed than the W4R then I suppose I will look elsewhere.

Maybe the Velvet or even SM64 might be more up my alley. The S-EM9 might be the one, however it's a little rich for my blood.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #654 of 690

Thanks for your input.
I really enjoy the W4R's signature, as I do the HD650, however like I said each would be perfect, IMO, with just a touch more treble. And if the treble of the S-EM6 is more recessed than the W4R then I suppose I will look elsewhere.

Maybe the Velvet or even SM64 might be more up my alley. The S-EM9 might be the one, however it's a little rich for my blood.

SM64 is warm and forgiving with a major 5khz dip like Audioquest Nighthawk. S-EM9 is analytical and bright sounding (though not harsh). Velvet is like a mix of these two with thunderous bass. Totally different sound signatures.

I'm just wondering if S-EM6 V2 could be the SM64 upgrade we've been waiting for? Musical, natural sound but with better detail retrieval and treble extension this time. ES3 was certainly a disappointment to me even though I think it has many good qualities.

In terms of looks S-EM6 V2 looks amazing and so comfortable. ES3 shell was really uncomfortable, this looks better.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #655 of 690

Thanks for your input.

SM64 is warm and forgiving with a major 5khz dip like Audioquest Nighthawk. S-EM9 is analytical and bright sounding (though not harsh). Velvet is like a mix of these two with thunderous bass. Totally different sound signatures.

I'm just wondering if S-EM6 V2 could be the SM64 upgrade we've been waiting for? Musical, natural sound but with better detail retrieval and treble extension this time. ES3 was certainly a disappointment to me even though I think it has many good qualities.

In terms of looks S-EM6 V2 looks amazing and so comfortable. ES3 shell was really uncomfortable, this looks better.

Ok, you sold me. Just bought the Velvet to try :)

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #658 of 690
Mar 18, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #659 of 690
there was the black shell velvet that replaced with crystal shell w/ green PCB.  both are the same(v1) just different colored shell.

Earsonics recently came out with a new version 2 velvet, which has a black PCB which you can see through the clear shell.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #660 of 690
  there was the black shell velvet that replaced with crystal shell w/ green PCB.  both are the same(v1) just different colored shell.

Earsonics recently came out with a new version 2 velvet, which has a black PCB which you can see through the clear shell.

Sorry if it has been discussed here, but, do you know the sonic differences if there are any? 

NVM. Found my answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back