Ears and how to clean them properly.
Feb 5, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #31 of 45
Hope you guys post the mixture dilution with water. None of you are. Some guy reads this here then pours 100% mix in their ears because they read it on Head-Fi.

tongue.gif

Density of aqueous solution of H2O2

3% 1.0095
27% 1.10 20
35% 1.13 20
50% 1.20 20
70% 1.29 20
75% 1.33 20
96% 1.42 20
98% 1.43 20
100% 1.450

what?..

you cannot buy a very strong concentration perioxyde from any pharmacy..

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #32 of 45
Over the counter is normally 3% 10%!or even 35%. That still does not say someone could have a bottle of a stronger % around. I would guess these medical professionals are recomending 3%?

Big difference from 35%.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #33 of 45

I've been told by several ENTs (as recently as last week when I went in to have an impression made just to find out I had a full blockage in my right canal) to use peroxide once a month and that will do the trick. I guess I should have listened to the first one who told me this years ago.

Fill the cap of the bottle with peroxide, tilt your head to the side over your sink and pour it in. Once the bubbling dies down, drain and do the other ear. Q-tips will just push the wax farther into the canal.

That's exactly how I was told to do it. If you pull on an ear and hear a crinkling sound - that's ear wax pushed in the ear canal.

Hope you guys post the mixture dilution with water. None of you are. Some guy reads this here then pours 100% mix in their ears because they read it on Head-Fi.

tongue.gif

Density of aqueous solution of H2O2

3% 1.0095
27% 1.10 20
35% 1.13 20
50% 1.20 20
70% 1.29 20
75% 1.33 20
96% 1.42 20
98% 1.43 20
100% 1.450

Good point. I was told to use 3% solution, which is the most common in the US. Can't recall if I've seen anything stronger (or weaker).
Something like this:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/first-aid/antibiotic-antiseptic/cvs-hydrogen-peroxide-solution-skuid-209478

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #34 of 45
nope, at all pharmacies i tried, i was denied anything over 3% perioxyde. it seems something like it is too dangerous.

i tried 3% perioxyde today. it felt strange. i put a q bud in it, then the q bud in my ear. after a little while i put also a q bud imbuded in boric alcool.. i do this to make sure that there is no infection. well, the fizzle was very minor, not something to scream about. the perioxyde does not feel strange or anything, it feels very much like water. i might try filling the ear with it when i will have enough time and some cotton, i am yet to buy some..

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #35 of 45
So I just tried the half water half peroxide in the bottle cap thing. Poured it in the ear, tilted my head, and let it fizzle; after it was mostly done, I tilted my head to let it out. I did it once in each ear, and it worked well, but I went in just in the entrance with a q tip and found a lot of wax. So I tried the half water half peroxide thing again. My right ear is fine, but everything seems somewhat muffled in my right ear. After each try, I went in with a q tip in only the entrance of the ear and got any bits of wax remaining. I'm wondering though why things sound muffled from my left ear; is it just some water left over? (If so, how can I fix that?) Or is it something else/did I do something wrong?

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #36 of 45
  So I just tried the half water half peroxide in the bottle cap thing. Poured it in the ear, tilted my head, and let it fizzle; after it was mostly done, I tilted my head to let it out. I did it once in each ear, and it worked well, but I went in just in the entrance with a q tip and found a lot of wax. So I tried the half water half peroxide thing again. My right ear is fine, but everything seems somewhat muffled in my right ear. After each try, I went in with a q tip in only the entrance of the ear and got any bits of wax remaining. I'm wondering though why things sound muffled from my left ear; is it just some water left over? (If so, how can I fix that?) Or is it something else/did I do something wrong?

You could have melted it or otherwise dislodged it, and since your head was tilted that way, gravity pulled it over towards your eardrums, and then it wasn't as porous by the time you tilted your head the other way to drain it.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #37 of 45

You could have melted it or otherwise dislodged it, and since your head was tilted that way, gravity pulled it over towards your eardrums, and then it wasn't as porous by the time you tilted your head the other way to drain it.

That's something I was thinking; should I try it again, but this time tip it sooner?

On the bright side, I'm hearing things clearer than ever in my right ear; this actually sounds great.

Edit: Well now I'm even more concerned; there's a static-y (ringing?) hum in my left ear. I've always noticed a very soft hum thing, but this is a little louder.

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #38 of 45
  That's something I was thinking; should I try it again, but this time tip it sooner?

I'd try that, but...

Edit: Well now I'm even more concerned; there's a static-y (ringing?) hum in my left ear. I've always noticed a very soft hum thing, but this is a little louder.

...given that I'm more inclined to have someone take a look in there instead.

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #39 of 45
nope, at all pharmacies i tried, i was denied anything over 3% perioxyde. it seems something like it is too dangerous.

i tried 3% perioxyde today. it felt strange. i put a q bud in it, then the q bud in my ear. after a little while i put also a q bud imbuded in boric alcool.. i do this to make sure that there is no infection. well, the fizzle was very minor, not something to scream about. the perioxyde does not feel strange or anything, it feels very much like water. i might try filling the ear with it when i will have enough time and some cotton, i am yet to buy some..

Amazon has 12% and 35% for sale, so it's very possible folks could have it around their house.

http://www.amazon.com/35-Food-Grade-Hydrogen-Peroxide/dp/B0050DS18U

http://www.amazon.com/O-W-Company-Hydrogen-Peroxide-Formerly/dp/B00016R37Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1423211563&sr=1-1&keywords=12+%25+hydrogen+peroxide

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #42 of 45
The baby supply section of most grocery stores will sell a plastic or rubber bulb designed to gently suck mucus out of a baby's nose. I use one of those to flush my ears out with lukewarm water.
I don't generate a lot of pressure, but 2 or 3 squirts will do it. No soap, oil or peroxide. Air dry or moderate heat from hair dryer.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #43 of 45
The baby supply section of most grocery stores will sell a plastic or rubber bulb designed to gently suck mucus out of a baby's nose. I use one of those to flush my ears out with lukewarm water.
I don't generate a lot of pressure, but 2 or 3 squirts will do it. No soap, oil or peroxide. Air dry or moderate heat from hair dryer.

That is how the Dr's assistant did my ears. A giant plug of wax came out, the size of an IEM tip.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #44 of 45
Earwax, although by many considered as something gross is a pretty helpful thing and if it doesn't cause you any problem (i.e. clogs your ears) you shouldn't treat it as public enemy no. 1 :wink:. And maybe you don't have to fight with it at all.

It is pretty important to have it in you ears as it:
a) together with hair defends your eardrum against small objects, dirt etc.
b) moisturizes the skin, 
c) prevents growth of some small things you would not want to grow in your ears

It is constantly manufactured by our ear according to our needs. It's natural that it gathers, dries and falls out (with all the unwanted stuff).

Note that it is not manufactured through all length of the canal. As we enter the ear canal there is about 1-1,5cm section of the canal with tiny hair and wax glands. Later, for about 0,5-1cm skin becomes very thin and extremely sensitive (so if anything gets near to the eardrum you'll be pretty alarmed and you can get this feeling that something is touching your eardrum!) so there will be no way so no newborn wax will be able to push it out of the canal.

So, if you have never experienced problems with wax clogging your ears (which happens to some individuals due to their ear canal shape or body chemistry, some ears produce excessive amounts of wax when frequently threatened with too high sound pressure levels) the best thing to do is use your pinky finger, soap and water to clean your ears. It goes just as deep as it was designed to go!

And never use q-tip to clean inside of your ears. Even if you won't hurt yourself you can wipe "good" wax and your skin will become dry and irritated. And since you can't see what you're doing with it's highly possible that you will push some wax build-ups deeper inside the canal from where they will be unable to fall out (with help of new wax coming out).

So my advices would be:
- Don't worry too much
- Use finger and, soap an water
- If you're still worried, go to professional who can look inside and tell you what is really happening there
- Never put q-tips (or anything that is smaller in diameter than your canal) inside of the canal
- If possible, hug your mom once in a while

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #45 of 45
  Earwax, although by many considered as something gross is a pretty helpful thing and if it doesn't cause you any problem (i.e. clogs your ears) you shouldn't treat it as public enemy no. 1 :wink:. And maybe you don't have to fight with it at all.

It is pretty important to have it in you ears as it:
a) together with hair defends your eardrum against small objects, dirt etc.
b) moisturizes the skin, 
c) prevents growth of some small things you would not want to grow in your ears

It is constantly manufactured by our ear according to our needs. It's natural that it gathers, dries and falls out (with all the unwanted stuff).

Note that it is not manufactured through all length of the canal. As we enter the ear canal there is about 1-1,5cm section of the canal with tiny hair and wax glands. Later, for about 0,5-1cm skin becomes very thin and extremely sensitive (so if anything gets near to the eardrum you'll be pretty alarmed and you can get this feeling that something is touching your eardrum!) so there will be no way so no newborn wax will be able to push it out of the canal.

So, if you have never experienced problems with wax clogging your ears (which happens to some individuals due to their ear canal shape or body chemistry, some ears produce excessive amounts of wax when frequently threatened with too high sound pressure levels) the best thing to do is use your pinky finger, soap and water to clean your ears. It goes just as deep as it was designed to go!

And never use q-tip to clean inside of your ears. Even if you won't hurt yourself you can wipe "good" wax and your skin will become dry and irritated. And since you can't see what you're doing with it's highly possible that you will push some wax build-ups deeper inside the canal from where they will be unable to fall out (with help of new wax coming out).

So my advices would be:
- Don't worry too much
- Use finger and, soap an water
- If you're still worried, go to professional who can look inside and tell you what is really happening there
- Never put q-tips (or anything that is smaller in diameter than your canal) inside of the canal
- If possible, hug your mom once in a while

sadly this did not work for me. it seems that after enough time, i develop a pain, and i need boricat alchool back, even if i use or not peryoxide. the doctors said that everything looks perfectly fine. so no worries here, but i have to clean my ears at two days or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back