Ears and how to clean them properly.
Jan 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
I am wondering, how should i clean my ears properly. i am using boric alchool on cotton buds, because it kind of melts away the wax, but after some reading, the boric alchool might be a little toxic for me, so i thought using perioxide would be a better ideea. 

i really would not like putting a liquid in my ear, so i would like to know if there are better methods, and what are these, and what is better for me, to continue with boric alchool, or to start using perioxide.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 45
There's a kind of ear cleaner used to melt earwax but that's for when it's already blocking the path and hardened like a candle. My ENT doesn't like me poking around my own ear, or any of his patients for that matter, because the primary problem is that unless you attach a medical/SEAL grade worm-like camera to whatever you're using to poke around in there, you can't see what you're doing. Twice I've had to use that fluid because I ended up pushing the earwax deeper, a little at a time, until boom - suddenly I'm temporarily deaf in one ear.

What we do now is that I clean my outer ears with thin cotton cloth (like an older hanky, but it has holes on it so I retire it to ear cleaning) with baby oil, then once a year I have to go in for my ENT to do a more thorough job in the ear canals with that tiny vacuum cleaner of his (and his ear peeking eye piece). And no this isn't about profit - his wife has been my pediatrician from the day I was born and he never charges his wife's patients. If anything, well, two of my godsons are now his wife's patients, but that had nothing to do with my recommendation and more to do with how well the hospital they work in like her.

If such a simple procedure is covered by your HMO or whatever I suggest you just do the same thing. It doesn't take longer than 5mins for me and that's both ears. I have time to chat with the doctor too. The only downside really is that I have to drive downtown, and over here Saturdays are nearly as bad as weekday rush hours.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 45

There's a kind of ear cleaner used to melt earwax but that's for when it's already blocking the path and hardened like a candle. My ENT doesn't like me poking around my own ear, or any of his patients for that matter, because the primary problem is that unless you attach a medical/SEAL grade worm-like camera to whatever you're using to poke around in there, you can't see what you're doing. Twice I've had to use that fluid because I ended up pushing the earwax deeper, a little at a time, until boom - suddenly I'm temporarily deaf in one ear.

What we do now is that I clean my outer ears with thin cotton cloth (like an older hanky, but it has holes on it so I retire it to ear cleaning) with baby oil, then once a year I have to go in for my ENT to do a more thorough job in the ear canals with that tiny vacuum cleaner of his (and his ear peeking eye piece). And no this isn't about profit - his wife has been my pediatrician from the day I was born and he never charges his wife's patients. If anything, well, two of my godsons are now his wife's patients, but that had nothing to do with my recommendation and more to do with how well the hospital they work in like her.

If such a simple procedure is covered by your HMO or whatever I suggest you just do the same thing. It doesn't take longer than 5mins for me and that's both ears. I have time to chat with the doctor too. The only downside really is that I have to drive downtown, and over here Saturdays are nearly as bad as weekday rush hours.

no weekend workhours at my hospital

no free services

3rd world policy

i would have the money to go and all, but it is a pain to wait for hours. this is why i found it better to try cleaning my ears at home. my hearing seems to be somehwat with less treble, after a few days of not cleaning. boric alchool seems to disolve the wax, and brings back the treble without pushing the wax deeper. i am wondering if it is not bad for the health to use it.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 45
  no weekend workhours at my hospital

no free services

3rd world policy

i would have the money to go and all, but it is a pain to wait for hours. this is why i found it better to try cleaning my ears at home. my hearing seems to be somehwat with less treble, after a few days of not cleaning. boric alchool seems to disolve the wax, and brings back the treble without pushing the wax deeper. i am wondering if it is not bad for the health to use it.

You can irritate your ears, at minimum. The medicine they gave me before stings on my skin, and I had to keep it in my ear canals for 10mins. A milder but less effective solution is some kind of oil you can find in drug stores; forgot if it's Castor oil but over here the major drugstores sell oils in color coded bottles. Forgot what the others were though.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 45
proper way to clean you ears?  soap, water.  q-tip.  that's how i've done it all my life.  i know they say q-tips are bad, but they work fine if you dont jam them deep.  but i found this link that is more proper than my method.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Your-Ears

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 45
  proper way to clean you ears?  soap, water.  q-tip.  that's how i've done it all my life.  i know they say q-tips are bad, but they work fine if you dont jam them deep.  but i found this link that is more proper than my method.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Your-Ears

i don't think so... this seems like the worst ideea, soap can feed funghi, q-buds without alchool or something that can melt the wax also doesn't seem very good.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 45
i'm sure there are worse ideas than soap and water. 
rolleyes.gif
 for the outside area of the ear.  in the shower.  i've never had the clean the insides of my ear other than lightly cleaning the canal with a q-tip.  and i've never had hearing problems or "fungi".   but anyhow, there's the link that took two seconds to google.  you're welcome.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 45
  i'm sure there are worse ideas than soap and water. 
rolleyes.gif
 for the outside area of the ear.  in the shower.  i've never had the clean the insides of my ear other than lightly cleaning the canal with a q-tip.  and i've never had hearing problems or "fungi".   but anyhow, there's the link that took two seconds to google.  you're welcome.

i googled the problem a lot. i was wondering about peoples experiences. i was not talking about the outer area, that area is anyways cleaned with soap and water, i am wondering how to clean the inside..

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 45

I'd rather let someone who can actually see what they're doing do that.

yes, but it is sickening to go in a normal hospital... an audiologist cleans ears?... there are these dudes than can make in ear customs, and i might tell them to clean my ears for some money...

not to mention that going to a normal doctor that cares for neck ears and whatever means that it can take one day in my country.. because you have to wait for like half an hour or an hour, and the place is pretty far from wither work or school for me..

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 45
  yes, but it is sickening to go in a normal hospital... an audiologist cleans ears?... there are these dudes than can make in ear customs, and i might tell them to clean my ears for some money...

not to mention that going to a normal doctor that cares for neck ears and whatever means that it can take one day in my country.. because you have to wait for like half an hour or an hour, and the place is pretty far from wither work or school for me..

I didn't say "doctor" or "hospital" there, I just said it should be "someone who can actually see what they're doing." You can attach a medical scope to your ear cleaning device if that whole package can fit in your ear canals (the kind of camera that doctors use in your orifices, that SWAT and special forces use to see behind obstacles at odd angles), or you can ask people around you who wouldn't find it icky to poke around your ears, like siblings or something. The thing is I've been there, wanting to keep my ears spotless for listening, and then I just ended up compacting the wax bit by bit and then finally I actually pushed it all in, at which point you will end up going to a doctor. 

Here's the tool that we use on this side of the world - works better than a Q-tip because you can shovel out the wax with it. I don't poke my own ear with it, or any other object for that matter. In any case you might find these on online shopping sites - just search for "bamboo ear cleaner."

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 45
  i googled the problem a lot. i was wondering about peoples experiences. i was not talking about the outer area, that area is anyways cleaned with soap and water, i am wondering how to clean the inside..

in that link i posted, there is a recipe for a solution and tells you how to do it yourself or with a friend/partner. 

my brother is a nurse and he's told me some stories about extracting wax from people's ears.  it's pretty disgusting.  he said sometimes it's black and comes out is huge chunks. 
eek.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 45
Where I live they advise that it's not good to take it all out. I had an ear wig bug crawl in my left ear. At the time I had an idea what had happened but could not feel anything. After about 60 days I was cleaning my ear with q-tips and this clear flat skeleton of the guy came out.lol

I had a big clog once in the US so my GP used syringe filled with warm water. Finally a big piece of wax came out. Warm water with a little pressure should do it. Hydrogen peroxide can get blocked and cause pressure damage. I would not want anything but water in my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back