Ears and how to clean them properly.
Jan 29, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 45
gross.  ear wigs really go into people's ears?  i thought that was just a myth.  on a side note, this summer i was cleaning my outdoor bbq gas grill and apparently those things like dark places (like earholes) and breeded inside of the hollow metal legs of the bbq. i moved my bbq in a better spot to spray it down with hose and hundreds of ear wigs started coming out of the bottom of all 4 legs of the bbq.  it was nasty. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #17 of 45
gross.  ear wigs really go into people's ears?  i thought that was just a myth.  on a side note, this summer i was cleaning my outdoor bbq gas grill and apparently those things like dark places (like earholes) and breeded inside of the hollow metal legs of the bbq. i moved my bbq in a better spot to spray it down with hose and hundreds of ear wigs started coming out of the bottom of all 4 legs of the bbq.  it was nasty. 

Well, when it happens you kind of don't believe it. The ear wax kills em though.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 45
Depends on the type of earwax you have.  If its wet pasty goopy stuff thats going to be different than the dry flakey / powdery stuff.  I (thankfully) have the flakey stuff and use a bamboo ear scooper and a cotton Q-tip to dust it all out.  Been doing it that way (carefully!!) all my life and have never had earwax problems.  When I was a kid it would just fall out every once in a while.... which was kind of gross
blink.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #20 of 45
why did you say that perioxyde can damage the ear?.. it is basically the same thing as water, and, if you do not apply pressure it should be almost the exact same thing..

Anything that bubbles up like that can cause pressure. I'm no physics student but most reactions I remember will increase pressure in a given chamber. You don't want a bunch of random pressure put on the ear drum side of your ear.

Say the hydrogen found its way into a little area between the wax and your ear drum, you only have one set of ears. Still I haven't researched it. Is it something Drs regularly do? If it is then maybe it is ok. I don't think they use it.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #21 of 45
Anything that bubbles up like that can cause pressure. I'm no physics student but most reactions I remember will increase pressure in a given chamber. You don't want a bunch of random pressure put on the ear drum side of your ear.

Say the hydrogen found its way into a little area between the wax and your ear drum, you only have one set of ears. Still I haven't researched it. Is it something Drs regularly do? If it is then maybe it is ok. I don't think they use it.

It is okay with doctors as long as you don't have a broken membrane. it infects if it enters the other chamber... perioxyde just melts wax, fast, it does not create pressure. it is fine from this point of view... 

in other lines, perioxyde is used like, drop a few drops in ear, wait, tild head, spill... not like how you could get to create pressure...

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 45
I recommend using Q-tips every day immediately after showering. Use only brand name Q-tips, not generic, because most generics use less/worse cotton.

If you want them super clean, every few days use a Q-tip lightly dipped in hydrogen peroxide. It will fizzle inside your ears like a little party. :p

Best luck!

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #24 of 45
I recommend using Q-tips every day immediately after showering. Use only brand name Q-tips, not generic, because most generics use less/worse cotton.

If you want them super clean, every few days use a Q-tip lightly dipped in hydrogen peroxide. It will fizzle inside your ears like a little party.
tongue.gif

Best luck!

until now i have been using boricat alcool, but perioxyde seems a good ideea! i think i am going to try some! i anyways have bought some to clean iems!

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 45
The problem for some users of IEM's is they push the wax deeper into the ear. My ophthalmologist (not his specialty lol) told me to lie on the side and have someone else take a cap full of hydrogen peroxide and pour it in the ear - all the way to the top. Leave in until it no longer bubbles. I tried this and it works. I've never tried drops of oil followed by hydrogen peroxide and don't intend to.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #26 of 45
  The problem for some users of IEM's is they push the wax deeper into the ear. My ophthalmologist (not his specialty lol) told me to lie on the side and have someone else take a cap full of hydrogen peroxide and pour it in the ear - all the way to the top. Leave in until it no longer bubbles. I tried this and it works. I've never tried drops of oil followed by hydrogen peroxide and don't intend to.

yes, but with peryoxide there is the risk of something bad happening, like infection, because it is water based and it evaporates much slower than alchool for example. but i think that i might need to fiind something better than alcool boricat...

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #27 of 45
I've been told by several ENTs (as recently as last week when I went in to have an impression made just to find out I had a full blockage in my right canal) to use peroxide once a month and that will do the trick. I guess I should have listened to the first one who told me this years ago.

Fill the cap of the bottle with peroxide, tilt your head to the side over your sink and pour it in. Once the bubbling dies down, drain and do the other ear. Q-tips will just push the wax farther into the canal.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #28 of 45
  I've been told by several ENTs (as recently as last week when I went in to have an impression made just to find out I had a full blockage in my right canal) to use peroxide once a month and that will do the trick. I guess I should have listened to the first one who told me this years ago.

Fill the cap of the bottle with peroxide, tilt your head to the side over your sink and pour it in. Once the bubbling dies down, drain and do the other ear. Q-tips will just push the wax farther into the canal.

That's exactly how I was told to do it. If you pull on an ear and hear a crinkling sound - that's ear wax pushed in the ear canal.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #29 of 45

yes, but with peryoxide there is the risk of something bad happening, like infection, because it is water based and it evaporates much slower than alchool for example. but i think that i might need to fiind something better than alcool boricat...

You can use a blow dryer after hydrogen peroxide treatment - http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2014/07/best-ways-to-steer-clear-of-swimmers-ear-this-summer/

This, Cleveland Clinic is a reliable source.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #30 of 45

That's exactly how I was told to do it. If you pull on an ear and hear a crinkling sound - that's ear wax pushed in the ear canal.

Hope you guys post the mixture dilution with water. None of you are. Some guy reads this here then pours 100% mix in their ears because they read it on Head-Fi.

:p
Density of aqueous solution of H2O2

3% 1.0095
27% 1.10 20
35% 1.13 20
50% 1.20 20
70% 1.29 20
75% 1.33 20
96% 1.42 20
98% 1.43 20
100% 1.450

Users who are viewing this thread