EarPods..! - Its what apple calls its next gen Earbuds.. Fancy anyone?
Oct 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #286 of 312
Quote:
Kewl Mod...

Thanks!  I tried to find the page it was originally posted on, oh well, someone suggested modifying silicone ear tips.  I got out my baggie of Meelec Tips.. and this was the second try
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #287 of 312
Quote:
So go buy you sum foams dood...

Can you even buy foams anymore? I remember a few years ago, I wanted to buy a pair and I couldn't find them anywhere. the only ones I found were the larger, almost cylinder shaped foams that would easily pop right off. Are the smaller, thinner ones (ie. the type that used to come prepackaged with iPods) even sold anymore?

Also, even if they are, will they fit on the the EarPods, given their strange shape? And finally, will they allow proper airflow through the ports on the EarPods? If they impede airflow and hurt bass response, then that defeats the purpose.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #288 of 312
Quote:

Can you even buy foams anymore? I remember a few years ago, I wanted to buy a pair and I couldn't find them anywhere. the only ones I found were the larger, almost cylinder shaped foams that would easily pop right off. Are the smaller, thinner ones (ie. the type that used to come prepackaged with iPods) even sold anymore?

Also, even if they are, will they fit on the the EarPods, given their strange shape? And finally, will they allow proper airflow through the ports on the EarPods? If they impede airflow and hurt bass response, then that defeats the purpose.

1. Yes, at RadioShack.  But they are much cheaper on Amazon.
2. Yes, they fit the EarPods, the original "mod" is posted a few pages back.
3. Yes and no.  The foams are reported to increase bass, but I have not tried them yet.  I think most people in this thread cut one of the sides on the foam to allow a spot for the main opening.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #289 of 312
Yes foams will work...

Success story in this thread.

Cheers, Jim

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #290 of 312
I tried the foam covers from rat shack on my Apple Earpods. No doubt they result in increased bass (it's not subtle) which I felt was missing with just the naked earpod. Overall, I like the foam better than modified silicone tips (see an earlier post in thread). The silicon tip mod is clever, and provided improvements in the lower frequency, but ultimately I found them a little uncomfortable over time and they came off after a couple days. Possibly a thinner plastic might be more comfortable and remain in place.

The foam however feel more comfortable to my ears with even greater bass. I noticed a slight reduction in volume and so made holes, similar to recommendation in earlier post, over the main speaker area...but also created a small hole over the vent on backside of earpiece. I noticed it was important not to block this smaller oval vent when experimenting with the plastic/silicone tips.

Overall, the increased weight caused a perceived reduction in highs - which may be a reasonable trade off because at higher volumes the highs felt a little harsh at times to me. I've decided to stay with the modified foam covers for now. They are definitely worth a try.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #291 of 312
Good Info...

Thanks for sharing!

Jim

I tried the foam covers from rat shack on my Apple Earpods. No doubt they result in increased bass (it's not subtle) which I felt was missing with just the naked earpod. Overall, I like the foam better than modified silicone tips (see an earlier post in thread). The silicon tip mod is clever, and provided improvements in the lower frequency, but ultimately I found them a little uncomfortable over time and they came off after a couple days. Possibly a thinner plastic might be more comfortable and remain in place.
The foam however feel more comfortable to my ears with even greater bass. I noticed a slight reduction in volume and so made holes, similar to recommendation in earlier post, over the main speaker area...but also created a small hole over the vent on backside of earpiece. I noticed it was important not to block this smaller oval vent when experimenting with the plastic/silicone tips.
Overall, the increased weight caused a perceived reduction in highs - which may be a reasonable trade off because at higher volumes the highs felt a little harsh at times to me. I've decided to stay with the modified foam covers for now. They are definitely worth a try.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #292 of 312
Quote:

I also switched from the silicone mod to foams (Radio Shack no less) and as mentioned, the foams are definitely the way to go.  My only suggestion is to cut the hole for the main canal vent as small as possible because it will stretch anyway and you don't want the foams falling apart.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #294 of 312
Just discovered something else with these - probably everyone else knows it, but it was new to me .....

With the mic/volume/pause-play buttons.

- Hit pause/play once - it pauses, again to resume.
 - Double click it, and it advances one track
 - Triple click it, and it reverses one track

Kind of neat now that I know it can do that.

BTW - anyone who has them but hasn't tried them with some cheap foam covers - go find some.  Seriously improves both comfort and sound.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #296 of 312
Oct 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #298 of 312
just surprised. a lot higher than the 0 people that i know who would have recommened the original.

and no, i have not listened to them, hence the lack of any judgment on my part of whether they are any good.

They're great! Sound stage and mid bass are the two big pluses for me. Especially if they come free it is worth throwing on some foam earbud covers and trying them out.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #299 of 312
I just got a backup pair of Sennheiser CX 215 for $17 USD. The Earpods have lost their value to me if I can buy as many CX 215 as I like from an authorized retailer at that price lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back