EarPods..! - Its what apple calls its next gen Earbuds.. Fancy anyone?
Sep 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #271 of 312
Quote:

Ummm - you're trying to compare a $130-$150 item with a $30 one?

I am not talking about price here, obviously. I just read a lot of bad feedbacks regarding Beats. That they are too muddy and just has bass and no more... 

Also, talking about pricing, one of the most negative feedback I hear about them is that they are waaay overpriced.

So, in the end I guess that also is a valid question. 

Which would you get? A $130-$150 Beats (way overpriced) or the $30 Earpods for sound quality? :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #272 of 312
Quote:

I am not talking about price here, obviously. I just read a lot of bad feedbacks regarding Beats. That they are too muddy and just has bass and no more... 

Also, talking about pricing, one of the most negative feedback I hear about them is that they are waaay overpriced.

So, in the end I guess that also is a valid question. 

Which would you get? A $130-$150 Beats (way overpriced) or the $30 Earpods for sound quality? :)

I haven't heard the Beats IEMs, so I can't really give you an opinion.  And I'm not one of "those people" that will run down the Beats just because they are Beats and have a reputation for crap sound.  If it's any value to you - I did hear the Solos once - and I'd rather listen to  the Apple Earpods than the Solos!  They were truly awful.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #274 of 312
Thanks for the info guys, I'll look up the Philips if anyone has stock left, otherwise may consider the EarPods with foam cover mod, jogging season is slowing here anyways so no big rush.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #275 of 312
got my iphone5 today and this as well.  Got to admit, for a freebie that comes with the phone this is actually very good.  Too much mid bass, but that's better than the nonexistent bass of the old apple earbuds.  The fit is good too, and for now very comfortable.  Definitely feels like there's quite a bit of clarity missing -- sorta how I felt wearing Beyer T50p's.  This will certaily do a fine job of raising the average iphone user's listening experience... unless they decide to 'upgrade' to skullcandies.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #276 of 312
Huh... I pushed these through my newly arrived JDSLabs C421 amp just for kicks, and... what do I know? They can get pretty friggin' loud without distorting, unlike the older model.

They also seem to like the C421's transparent presentation. It really lightens things up a lot. Never thought $30 earbuds could respond so well to amping. This is actually making me second-guessing the potential of these EarPods.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #277 of 312
They're good. Only iphone oem phones Ive used. Hold up pretty well to VModa m80. Don't compare in terms of depth, air and imaging to DT880 600's. I use the pods in bed, as they leak too much for city use and are too loose fitting do running/gym. Still, good clarity, space and , bass detail and sparkle up top. Mids are balanced but maybe a little flat, but by no means bad. Different creature completely to former buds.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #278 of 312
I am actually quite impressed with the earpods. No they aren't anywhere near the quality that some Head-Fi'ers have come to enjoy, but they are a great starter pair. They are lightyears better than the earbuds. Who can complain? Most phones don't even come with a pair of headphones, so getting a decent backup pair is welcomed at any quality.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #279 of 312
Awesome stuff in this thread.

Seeing as many head-fier's no of/ recommend the Meelec M6, I think I can be fair and do a comparison to the M6p.
Conclusion:  The EarPods are WAY better!  So much so that now I want to buy more 'buds and iems that have a vented design.

Question:  what foam covers are best for the "foamies mod"?  If I could stop these 'Pods from slipping they would be perfect 
etysmile.gif

More here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629335/apple-earpods-appreciation-thread/15#post_8744544

I know my thread^ is newer, but if you have positive impressions = please share.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #281 of 312
Nevermind, I did a search on Amazon, saw super cheap earbud covers, and Then just decided to mutilate some meelec silicone instead :) so far the "silicone slipcover" is workin pretty well.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #282 of 312
I finally tried out the EarPods and these things refuse to stay in my ears. They slide around every which way and if I tilt my head, they fall right out. As such, they're completely useless to me. They sound significantly better than the old earbuds did (definitely not as good as my KSC 75s though), but seeing as how I can't actually get a secure fit, the audio quality is irrelevant.

Is anyone else having that problem? These were supposed to be designed to fit a wide variety of ear shapes but the fit is just as bad as the old earbuds were for me. That's what happens when you put super smooth plastic against skin - there's no friction. This whole thing could have been easily and cheaply rectified by Apple - by simply including foam piece with them - but instead, Apple chose to spent millions of dollars and years of research on perfecting a shape which is still useless to countless people out there.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #283 of 312
Quote:

Is anyone else having that problem? These were supposed to be designed to fit a wide variety of ear shapes but the fit is just as bad as the old earbuds were for me. That's what happens when you put super smooth plastic against skin - there's no friction. This whole thing could have been easily and cheaply rectified by Apple - by simply including foam piece with them - but instead, Apple chose to spent millions of dollars and years of research on perfecting a shape which is still useless to countless people out there.

Yes, that's why I did this:

I'm also going to try the earbud foams which were also mentioned in this thread along with the ear tips.  Great advice in here.

BTW, I'm listening top "Tower Of London" by Tony Macalpine, and it's awesome.  The stereo imaging on these EarPods really works.  The guitar riffs cascade from left to right across my brain, and the multiple rhythm parts artfully take turns on either side.  But my favorite is how the tom toms seem to bounce around the inside of my head.

Next up "Reaping Live" from G3, I can literally hear Joe Satriani playing in center stage, with Yngwie on my right and Steve Vai on my left.  It's really cool, I've heard these songs before and realized there where intended stereo effects; but this sounds like I'm standing in the middle on the stage with the guitarists positioned around me and I can feel the pressure of the amp stacks.  And when Steve Vai is playing I can literally hear the distorted strike of the pic on his guitar immediately preceding the actual note, imaged just to the left of me. I know I've never heard that before.

(okay, seriously, it's impossible to finish this post while I'm listening to "Joe Satriani Radio" on Pandora and now it sounds like I'm in the studio with Yngwie for Overture 1622, and yes it's Pandora and It sounds that good.  Wow, Marty Friedman sounds good too; I seriously keep loosing focus 'cause the music is just so involving, something about listening to the vented dynamic design, or whatever it is, is just adding so much weight and realism to the guitars, especially on live tracks.)

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #284 of 312
So go buy you sum foams dood...

I finally tried out the EarPods and these things refuse to stay in my ears. They slide around every which way and if I tilt my head, they fall right out. As such, they're completely useless to me. They sound significantly better than the old earbuds did (definitely not as good as my KSC 75s though), but seeing as how I can't actually get a secure fit, the audio quality is irrelevant.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #285 of 312
Kewl Mod...

Yes, that's why I did this:

I'm also going to try the earbud foams which were also mentioned in this thread along with the ear tips.  Great advice in here.

BTW, I'm listening top "Tower Of London" by Tony Macalpine, and it's awesome.  The stereo imaging on these EarPods really works.  The guitar riffs cascade from left to right across my brain, and the multiple rhythm parts artfully take turns on either side.  But my favorite is how the tom toms seem to bounce around the inside of my head.

Next up "Reaping Live" from G3, I can literally hear Joe Satriani playing in center stage, with Yngwie on my right and Steve Vai on my left.  It's really cool, I've heard these songs before and realized there where intended stereo effects; but this sounds like I'm standing in the middle on the stage with the guitarists positioned around me and I can feel the pressure of the amp stacks.  And when Steve Vai is playing I can literally hear the distorted strike of the pic on his guitar immediately preceding the actual note, imaged just to the left of me. I know I've never heard that before.

(okay, seriously, it's impossible to finish this post while I'm listening to "Joe Satriani Radio" on Pandora and now it sounds like I'm in the studio with Yngwie for Overture 1622, and yes it's Pandora and It sounds that good.  Wow, Marty Friedman sounds good too; I seriously keep loosing focus 'cause the music is just so involving, something about listening to the vented dynamic design, or whatever it is, is just adding so much weight and realism to the guitars, especially on live tracks.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back