EarPods..! - Its what apple calls its next gen Earbuds.. Fancy anyone?
Sep 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #241 of 312
Quote:
Tried it the past few days, very unimpressed.  A/B ing them with the only other decent buds I have hisound paa-1 to me there is no comparison which is better and they can be had cheaper as well.  Oh well to ebay the buds go!

Derailed Hyper Train??

i want to compare those earbuds to my Senns MX580  i bought for $30.00.  They are not bass heavy but have a big soundstage and the mids are very good.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #242 of 312
Derailed huh...

That's too bad, cause Apple sold more than 5 million in it's first weekend of sales.

Derailed... It's a damn shame.

LOLz, Jim
Quote:
Derailed Hyper Train??

i want to compare those earbuds to my Senns MX580  i bought for $30.00.  They are not bass heavy but have a big soundstage and the mids are very good.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #244 of 312
Bundled or not...

Apple has put all of these in the hands of potential Audiophiles all over the world.

We should rejoice and be glad.

I mean who else has done some much for music listening?

Jim

As bundled items. It doesn't mean they've got stellar sound quality.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #245 of 312
Quote:
Bundled or not...
Apple has put all of these in the hands of potential Audiophiles all over the world.
We should rejoice and be glad.
I mean who else has done some much for music listening?
Jim

They sold 5 millons units of Iphones, people where expecting the IP5, not the earbud. lates be clear here.  so, if whe are speaking about the earbud i dont get the "5 millons sold" argument.

The "iphone5" hiper train wont derail thats for sure, cause its a good product + appleluvers =  instant succes.

i have to agree with you that they could be the best earbud or iem bundled on anything, but being steller or beating most iems and HP under $100 i  need to try them and have my own opinion on how they sound.

if i dont find them stellar i hope you dont give me the "Millons sold", cause that wont make them sound better. i have no doubts they will sound very good, but i am under the impresion that some are riding the Hiper Train.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #246 of 312
Quote:

Lets see,  these are SOME HP under 100,  witch of these could be a good match?:

Sony XB700
Sony XB500
Panasonic HTF600

S500  (that IMHO sound better than my ATH M50)
Koss KSC75
Koss Porta Pros
Yuin GA2
Audio-Technica ATH-FC700
AKG K81DJ
Sennheiser PX200-II
Grado SR60i:
Audio-Technica ATH-M30
Alessandro MS1
Sony MDR-V6:
Pioneer SE-MJ5
Ultrasone HFI-15G
Superlux HD668B

Im am not surprised at all that these earbuds are better than a lot iem under $50,  but now you are adding that SOME headphones under 100 can be a good match?  WOOOOW MAN.. i need my earbud LIKE RIGHT NOW!!!

Out of that list, I have only listened to Koss PortaPro, Sony V6, ATH-M30, Grado SR60i, PX200-II, KSC75, XB500, and XB700.

And out of all of those, I think the ones that can match with the EarPod are only PortaPro and V6... But that's just the basshead in me talking.

XB500 and XB700 are not my cup of tea because they have way too much emphasis in low bass... and their mid bass feels lacking to my other headphones.

But... here's the big "but". I mentioned this once, but I had to put an earbud cover foam over mine in order to tone down the brightness and to fit them into my ears. Without the cover, they sound anemic, cold, sterile, soulless, strident, sibilant, and very lacking. In fact, if I didn't even bother to put the cover on, I think I would have written it off completely. That's how important "fit" is to these guys. The way Apple designed them made it so that their sound signature would change drastically depending on the type of fit achieved by the user's ear shape.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #248 of 312
Quote:
The way Apple designed them made it so that their sound signature would change drastically depending on the type of fit achieved by the user's ear shape.

That's more a design flaw than anything, really. As far as I know, the former earbuds sounded fairly consistent from one person to the other. I don't know what to make of the earpods, yet...

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #249 of 312
Quote:

Lets see,  these are SOME HP under 100,  witch of these could be a good match?:

Sony XB700
Sony XB500
Panasonic HTF600

S500  (that IMHO sound better than my ATH M50)
Koss KSC75
Koss Porta Pros
Yuin GA2
Audio-Technica ATH-FC700
AKG K81DJ
Sennheiser PX200-II
Grado SR60i:
Audio-Technica ATH-M30
Alessandro MS1
Sony MDR-V6:
Pioneer SE-MJ5
Ultrasone HFI-15G
Superlux HD668B

You may well have listed some of the "best" headphones under $100.

I always say I'd pay $30 at most for the Monoprice 8320s, but do they match the "best" $30 in ears? I don't really know..
What I do know is that they are probably the "best" $7 in ears around.

Not to defend the earpods necessarily..

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #250 of 312
Quote:
You may well have listed some of the "best" headphones under $100.

I always say I'd pay $30 at most for the Monoprice 8320s, but do they match the "best" $30 in ears? I don't really know..
What I do know is that they are probably the "best" $7 in ears around.

Not to defend the earpods necessarily..

yes, i got a few of them and  some of them are very good for the price.
I understand your point and i completly agree.   if you dont have or heard everthing or the best over 30 how is it posible to claim something is better without knowing?   so, i agree with you 100%

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #251 of 312
the best bundled headphone with anything surley has to be the F1 BUDS bundled with the cube c30 now thats stellar.  yes the masses will continue to use these things because the are free (which is a great price) but no way would they ever be going near my ears again lol.  Let alone pay 30 bucks for the displeasure.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #252 of 312
Just got my Iphone 5... and the phone itself is excellent and I love it... but the Earpods I'm disappointed with. It seems to do the bass well enough, but it has this honky, shouty mids which IMO ruins the vocals. I actually think the old buds are a bit better in this aspect 
ph34r.gif
... Then again, to me, bad mids pretty much ruins any headphones for me even if they are excellent elsewhere.

So the PK2 shall remain my earbud of choice (though I don't use earbuds too often anyway). Gave the Earpods away to my sister already 
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #253 of 312
Quote:

In fact, if I didn't even bother to put the cover on, I think I would have written it off completely. That's how important "fit" is to these guys. The way Apple designed them made it so that their sound signature would change drastically depending on the type of fit achieved by the user's ear shape.

Couldn't agree more.  They sound decent for an earbud without the foamie, but once that's on and the fit is tight, it's just a whole different earbud altogether. 

Quote:
Just got my Iphone 5... and the phone itself is excellent and I love it... but the Earpods I'm disappointed with. It seems to do the bass well enough, but it has this honky, shouty mids which IMO ruins the vocals. I actually think the old buds are a bit better in this aspect 
ph34r.gif
... Then again, to me, bad mids pretty much ruins any headphones for me even if they are excellent elsewhere.

So the PK2 shall remain my earbud of choice (though I don't use earbuds too often anyway). Gave the Earpods away to my sister already 
tongue.gif

Honkey mids?  Huh.  I get anything but honkey.  But maybe I'm losing hearing in the mid range area.  That's why this forum is so great..because this adds a whole new perspective that people should consider before buying them.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #254 of 312
Quote:
That's more a design flaw than anything, really. As far as I know, the former earbuds sounded fairly consistent from one person to the other. I don't know what to make of the earpods, yet...

The former earbuds actually also has this characteristic of sounding completely different with fit. It was just harder to fit than the Earpods, so in reality, I don't think many people ever got them to "fit" right... and the end result is that the sound is lacking... consistently.

As for the EarPods, like one commenter just noted... it's the "shouty mid" that's the problem. More specifically, I think the upper mid (6KHz to 8KHz) on the Earpods are way over-emphasized. My ears are very sensitive to that, so it was a no no. The foam cover I put on "masked" that brightness considerably.

It's plainly a love/hate affair, and personally, I don't want to disregard anything before trying it at its best.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #255 of 312
Someone had mentioned sticking with the PK2.  That has been my staple earbud for a very long time.  Good detail with crazy big soundstage!  But the bass on the PK2 is so anemic that it took me a long time to get used to.  And the total lack of bass for me leaves the sound lacking that certain fullness that I want.  On most levels the PK2 beats the earpod, but when it comes to giving me a full and complete sound, I take the earpod. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back