EarPods..! - Its what apple calls its next gen Earbuds.. Fancy anyone?
Sep 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #136 of 312
Quote:
I can, have, and will judge the mechanicals of this device based on my common sense.

But... No One can judge the Sound Sig until they have heard it.

Is that simple enough for you?

Jim

You CANNOT judge the mechanicals of this device based on common sense, or on past experiences with a different older model.

They redesigned the shell, affecting fit, affecting sound.

They redesigned the controls, affecting ergonomics.

They redesigned the mic, affecting usability.

Nothing yet is said about cabling that may affect ergonomics and usability.

Example: fit. They will be instances where the EarPods might fit more poorly than the iBuds for some ears. If they constantly fall off, can they still be considered usable?

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #138 of 312
Quote:
OK Lou...

You WIN.

I can't.

Jim

PS I am ordering 5 sets right now !!!

Please share with us your impressions on mechanicals AFTER you've experienced them under the said conditions! Looking forward to your review on mechanicals!

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #139 of 312
Quote:

Please share with us your impressions on mechanicals AFTER you've experienced them under the said conditions! Looking forward to your review on mechanicals!

I'll give you and you only a special little preview...

Just like Steve said: "It just works"

Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #141 of 312
Quote:
I'll give you and you only a special little preview...

Just like Steve said: "It just works"

Jim

Sounds like faith, not fact. :xf_eek:/

You can't pretend to know how a product feels (or sounds) if you still have to try it.

Though you did manage to convince me that you will love the EarBuds!

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #142 of 312
Sep 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #143 of 312
Quote:

You CANNOT judge the mechanicals of this device based on common sense, or on past experiences with a different older model.

They redesigned the shell, affecting fit, affecting sound.

They redesigned the controls, affecting ergonomics.

They redesigned the mic, affecting usability.

Nothing yet is said about cabling that may affect ergonomics and usability.

Example: fit. They will be instances where the EarPods might fit more poorly than the iBuds for some ears. If they constantly fall off, can they still be considered usable?

The cable is nothing to write home about.  Feels very similar to the older cable.  Kind of stiff.  It's not something you would want to have in extreme temperatures as it would surely crack or come apart.  I haven't tried the mic yet, but I also can't see the mic.  It's under there somewhere. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #144 of 312
Hmmmm, for $30 I'd rather pick up another pair of portapro's Although when I go portable I'm going with Etymotic ER4pt's w/ custom tips (Clarity, w/ accurate tight bass, I'm in love) , however the audiologist told me that my impressions got lost in the mail, I'm going back tomorrow @9:30 to have them done again.. I LOVE the Sony MDR-CD2000's full sized stereo cans, but they are HUGE, the ER4pt's are VERY close, and offer a darn good sound stage. I'm going to have my Leckerton UHA-4 upgraded with a better OP amp to give me a warmer sound sig when I desire such things from the ER4's Thought usually I go ampless with the ER4's.  I don't know where these apple buds will fit in. I will be getting a pair with my iPod touch 64gb 5th but I might just let them stay in the box like i did the 4th's buds...If I want bass the porta pros ROCK and have a lifetime warranty.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #145 of 312
I grabbed a pair over the weekend, and from limited listening, I can say I've spent much more on much less useful audio equipment. Not a lot of isolation, a good amount of bass without sounding overly excessive, bright-ish sounding. A little peaky highs, but manageable. Going to use them as work headphones, hate the band over the head with the PX100s all day. Certainly better than the previous Apple buds, and going from memory (since a buddy of mine borrowed them permanently), much more balanced than the Yuin PK3s.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #147 of 312
Nathaniel Baldwin invented cans 'eh? In that case Sir, I Salute you!

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #148 of 312
Apple replaces iconic earbuds with ‘sound-funneling’ EarPods 
smile.gif

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #150 of 312
Quote:
 I will be getting a pair with my iPod touch 64gb 5th but I might just let them stay in the box like i did the 4th's buds...If I want bass the porta pros ROCK and have a lifetime warranty.

I think if you haven't heard them yet, you should really give them a shot when you get that 64gb touch.  If you can remember the sound of the previous model, then I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.  They are actually too bassy for my philips gogear.  My PK2's sound perfect on the Philips.  But these little buds offer a pretty good amount of bass.  It really pumps out of my walkman.  I used foamies though so I could get a better fit and seal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back