earphones for notebook, library, low profile, hifi...
Mar 14, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #16 of 24
Also note that this is not a USB sound card we are talking about. It goes in the PC Card slot, like a network card or any other number of accessories, so it wouldn't take up any large amounts of additional space. In other words, still much much smaller/easier/simpler than a laptop + iPod would be.

Mar 14, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #17 of 24
The Echo Indigo + ER4p/ER6i/E3c sounds like a really good idea. Simple review here.

As for your canalphone suggestion, it's pretty personal. All I can say is that AFAIK the ER4P is better than the E3c and ER6i.

Mar 14, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 24
thanks for all the replies. i hadn't thought of using a portable mp3 player instead.
i dont think i'm so addicted to music i need to have it in my pocket all the time.

reevaluating my needs. in the car i have my speakers, at home my hd650, during exercise my piece of crap boombox, in the library, the indigo sounds like a good solution. 100 bux sounds like a good price for a dac + amp. but the portable solution also sounds like a winner. but no, it will be alot more expensive and i dont think a portable setup is what i really want.

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #19 of 24
when you all are mentioning the indigo, you mean the indigo io or dj?

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
In order to compete, 120 frames per second is considered acceptable, and most modern games will not run at those kinds of speeds on a notebook. Neither are LCD monitors acceptable for fast-paced games, as their refresh rates do not go higher than 75 Hz, where as 120 Hz is what I need.

You have your facts wrong here. I'm no audiphile, but I know my PCs.

1. Framerates
The human eye can only detect 60/72 frames per second (i forget which one). So, having an fps higher is a waste. Then you might say, "oh, but in counter-strike I can tell the diff between 72 and 100fps". I agree with you there, I can't really explain that. However, in any other game you will not be able to tell the difference.

2. Refresh Rates
Refresh rates with LCDs mean NOTHING. LCDs, and CRTs work differently. A CRT must refresh the entire screen, while an LCD only refreshes pixels that are changing. LCDs using DVI generally run at 60hz anyway and they're fine. I have a Hyundai L90D+ with an 8ms response time, and it's perfectly fine for any time of fast-paced gaming. No ghosting, tearing, or anything. The only problem with 8ms monitors today is that they have to dither 16.2 to 16.7 million colors.

Mar 14, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #21 of 24
I think you should be getting the indigo io.

Mar 14, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniti029
You have your facts wrong here. I'm no audiphile, but I know my PCs.

1. Framerates
The human eye can only detect 60/72 frames per second (i forget which one). So, having an fps higher is a waste. Then you might say, "oh, but in counter-strike I can tell the diff between 72 and 100fps". I agree with you there, I can't really explain that. However, in any other game you will not be able to tell the difference.

2. Refresh Rates
Refresh rates with LCDs mean NOTHING. LCDs, and CRTs work differently. A CRT must refresh the entire screen, while an LCD only refreshes pixels that are changing. LCDs using DVI generally run at 60hz anyway and they're fine. I have a Hyundai L90D+ with an 8ms response time, and it's perfectly fine for any time of fast-paced gaming. No ghosting, tearing, or anything. The only problem with 8ms monitors today is that they have to dither 16.2 to 16.7 million colors.

You're right in general, but in my specific case you're dead wrong. I (used to) compete in Quake 3, where your movement speed while strafe-jumping (a pro movement trick, like CS bunnyhopping before Valve took it out) depends on your frame rate. Since OSP, the popular pro mod, is fps-capped at 120, you simply need 120 FPS in order to be as fast as other people. A lot of trick jumps, like the bridge-to-rail jump on pro-q3dm6, depend on your ability to move and accelerate as fast as the game engine allows, and if you can't do that because of your PC, then you're at a disadvantage.

You refresh rate should be in sync with your FPS, or close to it, which gives you a significant boost in smoothness when tracking (if you have Quake 3 and a CRT monitor, try the "r_displayrefresh 120" parameter together with the "com_maxfps 125" parameter in your q3config file, and you will see what I mean). Not having a monitor that can hack 120 refresh rate will shave off 3-5% off your accuracy when tracking hitscans, which is once again significant.

LCD's are fine for slower games, like RTS and even Counter-Strike. For faster-paced shooters, like Quake 3 or any of the UT series, LCD's won't hack it, not until they have a faster response time and refresh rates than current technology allows.

OK, this has gone OT enough. I'd be happy to keep arguing in the general discussion forum
cool.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I (used to) compete in Quake 3, where your movement speed while strafe-jumping (a pro movement trick, like CS bunnyhopping before Valve took it out) depends on your frame rate. Since OSP, the popular pro mod, is fps-capped at 120, you simply need 120 FPS in order to be as fast as other people. A lot of trick jumps, like the bridge-to-rail jump on pro-q3dm6, depend on your ability to move and accelerate as fast as the game engine allows, and if you can't do that because of your PC, then you're at a disadvantage.

That surprises me to hear, that you're slower than others with a slower frame rate. I suppose that's why there was that little bit of hoopla when doom3 was released and they fixed that issue.

I also didn't know syncing your refresh rate and fps mattered much. Not like it matters for me - my computer has trouble with 30fps in HL2...

Yeah, let's end the OT-ness though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back