Earphones for Around $70
Nov 16, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #47 of 63
Actually, it's not even as close as bad as you think. The Samsung Juke (MP3 player first, then cell phone) has sound quality on par with the iPod shuffle.

Anyways, I'll be using a CD player and my computer too.

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #48 of 63
Ooh. With Cashback on eBay, the im716 is only $45 including shipping!
biggrin.gif

Anyways, back to my question please. What would be an excellent portable amp to drive these for around $30?

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it's not even as close as bad as you think. The Samsung Juke (MP3 player first, then cell phone) has sound quality on par with the iPod shuffle.

Anyways, I'll be using a CD player and my computer too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only 30 bucks wont get you to the sweet spots of what an portable amp can do, and your phone will ruin your headphone's potential anyway

I think I've clarified that already.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #52 of 63
Also, stupid cashback from eBay's gone now
frown.gif
. So back to the age-old decision (sorry guys! and thanks a lot misterDX for putting up with me!
biggrin.gif
).

im616 for $45 + amp
im716 for $75 + amp

And I'll probably buy a new source, most likely the iPod Touch 16GB. Or at least find my iPod Video.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #54 of 63
Oh, and just to add on, I've listened to some higher-end cans on my Juke, such as the Grado SR60, and I could not distinguish between the Juke and my brother's Creative MP3 player.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I could not distinguish between the Juke and my brother's Creative MP3 player.

i feel sad for you, maybe before you give your earphone an upgrade, you should give your ears one.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as harsh as that sounds...........graphis got the right point across

you need to train your ears man, you have to discern differences between sources

Hmm. I'm not kidding. The Juke is pretty good at sound quality. Think of it as an iPhone (Phone + MP3 Player). But anyways, I'm a musician, and have pretty good ears, if I can say. I haven't really tried discerning between sources, but I can definitely hear the difference between, say, a 128 kbps MP3 and a 192 kbps MP3.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #58 of 63
Alright. This probably doesn't carry much weight to it, but...

I was just exaggerating just a tiny bit on the sound quality comparisons between my cell phone and the mp3 player (ok, maybe bordering on the edge of lying), but it really is above-average for a phone. But I definitely need a better source (or find my iPod).

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #59 of 63
If you keep reading this website, you will get terminal upgraditis! An incurable disease.
wink.gif
So I always recommend getting the best that you can afford at the time. If you get something cheaper to save money, you'll probably regret it and then want to upgrade sooner rather than later. So overall, you'll spend more money and have less enjoyment in the interim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back