Earphones: 1) Comfort 2) Noise-cancelling [Budget: $100]
Jan 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tr1dent

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for earphones with the following priorities, respectively (#1 being the highest priority):

1. Comfort
2. Noise-cancelling ability

I don't mind much about sound quality at all. I have separate cans for that.

I can adjust my budget, but I'd prefer not spending more money on custom IEM molds.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't think we know how to process a request that involves "I don't mind much about sound quality at all."  Foam earplugs meet both of your requirements. 
wink.gif

BTW, do you mean actual noise cancelling, or just great isolation?

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Sorry, I meant it doesn't matter to me whether the sound quality from the earphones are bad or good for this certain budget.

Do you have any products suggestions?

If noise-cancelling is total deafness while wearing these earphones and great isolation just means you can hear very little background noise from outside of the earphones, then obviously I would prefer the former but great isolation would be fine as well. Just as long as I can't hear my 4 other younger siblings crying/screaming or the train a half a block from my apartment while I study.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, the term "noise cancelling" refers to a technology where sound (separate from the music) is generated by the earphones to try to cancel out or negate the external sounds around you.  Then when the music is playing, you can hopefully listen at lower volume levels.  So if that is what you want, you'll look for ANC head-/earphones.

But if you are wanting "normal" earphones that isolate very well without the ANC technology, the Klipsch S2m is on sale at Amazon.com for under $30 right now.  Pretty good sound and very good isolation.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 8
If you really want isolation, get something from Etymotic. MC5/Er6i are both within your budget, and from my experience with my MC3s, as long as some sort of music is coming out, you pretty much will lose aural contact with the rest of the world. The triflanges that come with these are pretty comfortable for me, but the foam tips should do fine if you feel uncomfortable with the triflanges.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 8
yeah er6i are great for noise isolation, the best on the market i believe. some people will claim they're no comfortable cause they require deep insertion. they seem fine to me, and they are my first "serious" IEM's so it's not like I'm used to sticking stuff in my ear.

if you find the foam tips uncomfortable too then you get some of the shure olives. they're very comfortable and i can wear them for three-four hours straight with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back