Earpads for the Hifiman Arya Now Available!
Aug 27, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #76 of 85
Do Elite Hybrids have exactly the same thickness and softness as stock?
They are softer and make a significant comfort upgrade. They are the same thickness, but due to being softer, may sit ever so slightly closer to your ear. I notice no sound change though. In staging or frequency response.

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #78 of 85
I also ordered the Hybrid Pads, as I am very treble sensitive and find the stock tuning to be slightly bright. I also am planning to apply a small bass shelve via EQ. Do you guys think I opted for the correct pads or should I have gone for the Velour ones?

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #79 of 85
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #80 of 85
I also ordered the Hybrid Pads, as I am very treble sensitive and find the stock tuning to be slightly bright. I also am planning to apply a small bass shelve via EQ. Do you guys think I opted for the correct pads or should I have gone for the Velour ones?
Yes, the hybrids elevate the 2KHz region and decrease everything from then upwards, so they make the Aryas sound more harman-like, clearly smoother and more natural!

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #83 of 85
Noticed my pads have a small tear on them now. Bit concerned but also wondering if different materials drastically affect the sound of the headphone negatively.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #84 of 85
Grouping measurements is so tough. It looks like the sheepskin set has less bass and treble, but in fact what you'll hear is a boost in the mids (like their sheepskin pads do on a lot of other headphones). I bet if they were compensated to intersect at 600Hz instead of 1000Hz, the bass and treble performance of the hybrid, sheepskin, and fenestrated pads would pretty much line up, with the difference being in the mids.
A long time later, this is in fact true.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth pads comparison.jpg

Figure 1: Arya Stealth blocked ear canal measurements for all four Dekoni pads. NS: New Stock pads. DES: Dekoni Elite Sheepskin. DEH: Dekoni Elite Hybrid. DEV: Dekoni Elite Velour. DEFS: Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin. Note that this is a measurement of the left driver of this Arya Stealth unit which happened to have more sub-bass than the right driver whose sub-bass was more in line with the HE1000se's.

2024-01-10 - Dekoni pad comparison - 1_12 octave smoothing - normalized at 250 Hz.jpg

Figure 2: HE1000se blocked ear canal measurements for all four Dekoni pads.

At least for my ears, the lower treble is generally relaxed, but the 6.5 kHz peak remains. The memory foam material or extra seal improves linearity, getting you about 1 dB more at 20 Hz, but less between 40 Hz to 150 Hz. The Elite Sheepskin pads sacrifice some audible bass quantity for deeper infrasonics.

More details in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...ganic-impressions-thread.890421/post-17866658 (post #11,361).

I found the Elite Hybrid pads to be dimensionally very similar to the stock pads other than their feeling flatter against the head and not seeing to implement any contour, whereby the main cause of the sonic differences should be the switch to memory foam if not also slight differences between the fenestrated leather used for the inner lining.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #85 of 85
A long time later, this is in fact true.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth pads comparison.jpg
Figure 1: Arya Stealth blocked ear canal measurements for all four Dekoni pads. NS: New Stock pads. DES: Dekoni Elite Sheepskin. DEH: Dekoni Elite Hybrid. DEV: Dekoni Elite Velour. DEFS: Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin.

2024-01-10 - Dekoni pad comparison - 1_12 octave smoothing - normalized at 250 Hz.jpg
Figure 2: HE1000se blocked ear canal measurements for all four Dekoni pads.

At least for my ears, the lower treble is generally relaxed, but the 6.5 kHz peak remains. The memory foam material or extra seal improves linearity, getting you about 1 dB more at 20 Hz, but less between 40 Hz to 150 Hz. The Elite Sheepskin pads sacrifice some audible bass quantity for deeper infrasonics.

More details in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...ganic-impressions-thread.890421/post-17866658 (post #11,361).

I found the Elite Hybrid pads to be dimensionally very similar to the stock pads other than their feeling flatter against the head and not seeing to implement any contour, whereby the main cause of the sonic differences should be the switch to memory foam if not also slight differences between the fenestrated leather used for the inner lining.
Thank you for such an informative and thorough post! A 5db increase at 1.5kHz on the sheepskin is quite a significant thing, especially if you're sensitive to that area as I am. However, it seems to line it up with 100Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back