EarMen Sparrow
Oct 11, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 354
Was just reading the "ad" at the beginning of the thread. No offence, but the claim that is is the first to use the ESS 9281 pro dac..well, the Zorloo Zstella has the same chip. Still, I'd like to see how it compares soundwise to the three DACs I have: the Ztella and the AQ Dragonfly Red and Cobalt.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #18 of 354
Was just reading the "ad" at the beginning of the thread. No offence, but the claim that is is the first to use the ESS 9281 pro dac..well, the Zorloo Zstella has the same chip. Still, I'd like to see how it compares soundwise to the three DACs I have: the Ztella and the AQ Dragonfly Red and Cobalt.
Lieven on Headfonia reviewed the Sparrow and compared it to the Cobalt and Red.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 354
We have reviewed at hxosplus.gr (the printed edition) the Cobalt and at later time the Sparrow.
Now I don't have the Cobalt right now but I awarded it with 4.55/5 and the Sparrow 4.6/5
To my ears from the balanced out it is a touch better.
Regarding the Zorloo Ztella which I still have and use at a daily basis I am afraid that although it is great for it's price the Sparrow it is a great leap ahead be it single ended or balanced that is.

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #20 of 354
So small in size, so big in sound!

1602787368931.png

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #23 of 354
Guys, does the Sparrow needs UAPP/Hiby player to work properly on Android?

I'd love to upgrade my current dongle, but don't want to rely on UAPP/Hiby to play music. AFAIK only iBasso to date has their own dedicated app that allows users to bypass the default Android audio processing & fine volume level control.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #26 of 354
I use mine directly with Qobuz and no other apps installed.
If you pause the music on Qobuz and play a song from another app, say Youtube/Spotify, would the song play?

With UAPP - even though it does bypass Android upsampling, once it's fired up no other app will have any sounds (including calls)

Another sign is that there'll be hisses that are not present when using UAPP/Hiby.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 354
Amazing little dongle. Easily the best dongle or portable amp I've used. Excellent out of SE, and flagship dap good out of the balanced. Does pick up cellular noise but I turn mobile data off when I'm using it.

Very tiny too.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #30 of 354
Guys, does the Sparrow needs UAPP/Hiby player to work properly on Android?

I'd love to upgrade my current dongle, but don't want to rely on UAPP/Hiby to play music. AFAIK only iBasso to date has their own dedicated app that allows users to bypass the default Android audio processing & fine volume level control.

Works great with hiby and neutron and they both can bypass android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back