EarMax
Jul 28, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
pigmode,

you could try ordering the German 230V Earmax or Earmax Pro from Markus Belzer, he is a German retailer who claims to speak English, and this is his website: http://www.hifibelzer.de/brocksieper_earmax.htm

But I have to admit: I have no experience whatsoever with him.

Thanks Tomcat,

I think I'd prefer to avoid the use of transformers etc. I guess $600 from STONEAUDIO is the best deal available.

RickG,
How do you compare the EMP to the Melos?

Jul 28, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
RickG,
How do you compare the EMP to the Melos?

Piggy-

The EMP sounds very "tubey"...much warmer and at the same time articulate in the mids and bass. The Melos (IMHO), shines in the area of it's sweet top end. However, the Melos does not sound like a tube amp to my ears...not that there's anything wrong with that. The EMP just makes me tap my foot with the music.

My listening has become much more simplified...I use my Stax Omega system downstairs in my main hi-fi system as my "reference" phones. I use my EMP upstairs next to my bed at night for a beautiful nightcap. (usually with either my SR-325s or HD 600s) The Melos is not currently in my system. After months of AB test, tube rolling, and such, I've decided that I prefer my NAD C 160 much more for a pre amp. While the Melos does the top right, the NAD seems to pull together the mids and bass in a way that makes my system sing. I'm planning to eventually send my Melos Gold to MARs for full restoration and then sell it. It's sitting in the closet now!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
The earmax only need a 19 VAC PS.
I would think that a simple voltage converter (like those found in RS) would work fine in this application.
If I'm not mistaken, Joelongwood took this same approach.

That's correct, bootman. I've had no problems whatsoever with the RS converter. Seems to work fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Has anybody compared the Earmax with the Moretto HAP-03? Just wondering.

That would be verrry interesting since the Moretto is obviously modelled on the Earmax. Cosmetically, I think it comes off at least as well! And the tubes suggest similar internal design.... But the Moretto can be had for less than $300!

FWIW, Moretto owners have praised the HA-3, but not as strenuously as Earmax owners praise theirs. I was hoping for an Earmax in the Headroom tour...

Jul 29, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Has anybody compared the Earmax with the Moretto HAP-03? Just wondering.

Staring into my crystal ball, and knowing an EarMax owner who lives nearby, I can predict such a comparison occuring sometime in the next few weeks...
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

Piggy-

The EMP sounds very "tubey"...much warmer and at the same time articulate in the mids and bass. The Melos (IMHO), shines in the area of it's sweet top end. However, the Melos does not sound like a tube amp to my ears...not that there's anything wrong with that. The EMP just makes me tap my foot with the music.

My listening has become much more simplified...I use my Stax Omega system downstairs in my main hi-fi system as my "reference" phones. I use my EMP upstairs next to my bed at night for a beautiful nightcap. (usually with either my SR-325s or HD 600s) The Melos is not currently in my system. After months of AB test, tube rolling, and such, I've decided that I prefer my NAD C 160 much more for a pre amp. While the Melos does the top right, the NAD seems to pull together the mids and bass in a way that makes my system sing. I'm planning to eventually send my Melos Gold to MARs for full restoration and then sell it. It's sitting in the closet now!

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Rick,

Hmm, interesting take on the EMP and the Melos. My impressions from listening to the EMP a while back are very favorable. OTH, while I did like the Melos, I did not get a sense of greatness.

Aug 6, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

That's correct, bootman. I've had no problems whatsoever with the RS converter. Seems to work fine.

I take it that means it isn't introducing any noise? I'm seriously pondering ordering my third from a European country. At $600 USD or less it's just too tempting to pass up.

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

Staring into my crystal ball, and knowing an EarMax owner who lives nearby, I can predict such a comparison occuring sometime in the next few weeks...
wink.gif

Given what folks from the Dallas meet were saying (Earmax "a little" better than MG Head), and the comparison I did between the Moretto and MG Head (thread: "head to head"), I'd expect the Moretto/Earmax showdown to be very close indeed...

As usual, we await Hirsch for enlightenment.
cool.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Given what folks from the Dallas meet were saying (Earmax "a little" better than MG Head)

This is like saying the Headmaster is a "little" better than the OBH-11 - understatement personified.

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #27 of 52
Just the fact that with the earmax, the signal goes through almost no circuitry makes me want it more than the MG Head. I used to own the MG head, and found the sound to be a bit too "dulled" for my taste.

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #28 of 52
The Earmax Pro looks very alluring, indeed. I'm just thinking that it might be a better idea to try this one instead of the Headmaster, as I already have the Corda HA-1... So maybe it's time for some tube gear, now. Are there any common issues with the Earmax Pro one should be aware of?

Tomcat: Where did you buy yours, btw? I've only found Belzer on the web - but there's no Brocksieper homepage to be found, where I'd exspect a dealer list...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 7, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #29 of 52
lini,

No headphone amp at first, and now a second one? That's definitely collectitis. But it feels so good, doesn't it?
wink.gif

There is no German Brocksieper site, as far as I know. The German distributor and retailer for the Brocksieper (or Earmax) headphone amps is "Hifi-Studio Linzbach" in Bonn. I asked them about their prices in February:

Earmax: roughly 360 EUR
Earmax Pro: 510 EUR

You can contact the Linzbach people at:

HiFi Linzbach
Kekuléstrasse 39
53115 Bonn
Germany

Tel. +49 (0) 228 - 91 50 50
Fax +49 (0) 228 - 26 12 14
info@hifi-linzbach.de

Viel Spaß!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #30 of 52
Tomcat: Thanks a lot. Now let's see what my bank account says...
wink.gif
Btw, have you noticed the ocean blue version on the Belzer page?

Greetings & thanks from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back