EarMax
Aug 7, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #32 of 52
Tim: Deutsch or dutch?
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Lini, the Germ... no... the Germerman... no... uhm...

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #33 of 52
Aug 8, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 52
the american versions with the two colours still looks best.. too bad they are usually the 110v version.

anyone ever tried painting coating it with model paint from hobbyco?

Aug 8, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #36 of 52
quotes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Given what folks from the Dallas meet were saying (Earmax "a little" better than MG Head)

This is like saying the Headmaster is a "little" better than the OBH-11 - understatement personified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The differences between the Earmax Pro and MG Head OTL are not that great. Much smaller than between the Headmaster and Creek!

Aug 8, 2002 at 9:25 AM Post #37 of 52
Calactus: You already have one of these? So would I guess right, that the colour looks a little darker in real life? I'm also wondering, whether the colour stands the heat of the tubes for a long time... And are you generally happy with the Earmax Pro? I would like to use it with a wide variety of headphones (AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado...), so it wold be good to know whether there are any known issues with common popular Head-Fi phones...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #38 of 52
Hallo Manfred...

...the (ocean) blue tends (to my slight regret) towards green, not really darker than on the pictures, but differing by color... but the sound is thrilling. And this isn't the end – because there are still the stock tubes in it.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

The differences between the Earmax Pro and MG Head OTL are not that great. Much smaller than between the Headmaster and Creek!

Well, I will see soon. I purchased the Earmax Pro after disappointment with the DT version. It was a revelation.

Aug 8, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous

Was this a stock vs. stock comparison?

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #41 of 52
The Earmax Pro had two aftermarket NOS Amperex tubes and a Sylvania in the center. The MG Head OTL had plain JJ EL84's and either a Sovtek (cough) 5751 in the center or the magic Sylvania 5751. I can't remember which was installed at testing time. We swapped it out once or twice.

I would have liked to do an extended A/B to map out the exact differences in finer detail. Still, Toddathan, LarryS, and I thought the two amps were reasonably close in performance rather than leagues apart.

The Earmax Pro is the better amp, make no mistake. We were just wondering whether it was worth the extra $425 over the MG Head's asking price...

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #42 of 52
Nick,

I believe you had added the *magic* tube right before I listened to the MG Head.

It is a fine amp for the money no doubt.

But, I would hate to give up the bass that the EMP provides and the extended treble. I really love to hear the strings plucked or bowed on a bass violin and feel the vibrations decay.

The EMP & MG Head were close, but I could hear a difference pretty quickly between them, when normally it takes a bit of listening for my poor ears to pick up differences in a comparison.

I would certainly say that the difference between the 2 amps was more obvious than what I heard from my EMP when I rolled the tubes and changed the cord on my 600's to an equinox. Cord + tubes can add up to $300 or more, depending. So, if you accept this line of reasoning, it could be worth it.

To me, it's worth the difference in price. My criteria also include aesthetics, sooooooo pretty (though the MG Head has a cool look too! no doubt) and convenience (I can easily pick up my EMP with my pinky finger and I lock it up in my desk drawer at the office).

Everyone should remember to take this with a grain of salt, because this opinion is that of an EMP owner, and we have seen here how amp owners can quickly become very defensive about their babies
biggrin.gif

Also, I will second that we did not perform an extended A/B listening test. And Nick, don't forget you were listening to the EMP next to your noisy AC unit
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
This really isn't a contest anyway... both are great amps!

Right. But Earmax vs. Moretto might indeed be a contest since the latter is pretty clearly a knockoff (AT LEAST cosmetically) and is MUCH less expensive. Hirsch has hinted at a forthcoming showdown!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Calactus: You already have one of these? So would I guess right, that the colour looks a little darker in real life? I'm also wondering, whether the colour stands the heat of the tubes for a long time... And are you generally happy with the Earmax Pro? I would like to use it with a wide variety of headphones (AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado...), so it wold be good to know whether there are any known issues with common popular Head-Fi phones...

Yes, I've had my EMP for a couple of months. The blue shows no sign of fading--yet. I am generally happy, but be warned, this is my first headphone amp. I enjoy the bass performance in particular. It works well with my Beyerdynamic DT770Pro and also with my AT-W100. I've never tried it with any other phones...but I'm seriously considering buying Sennheiser HD600s to compare with the ATs. I'll post impressions should I do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back