Earmax Pro or Silver ?
Dec 17, 2006 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
have any of you had experience of both of these? I am looking to buy my first ever headphone amp, and i need a good all rounder, and a couple of people recommended either of these to me in another thread.

I own SR125, and HD600, and will be buying RS-1, and maybe ATH W5000.

Would the earmax be a suitable all rounder? Is the Silver worth the extra money over the Pro? apparently the power supply is twice the physical size i read on the silver, apart from that it's just a more polished finish? Will the power supply size make a substantial difference to the sound?

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 12
bumpee

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi,

I think this link will provide good anwers to your question:-

http://www.audiophileclub.co.uk/earmax.html

The Silver Edition is more than just a bigger power supply. It has low distortion as well. Whether this is worth the extra money will depend on the individual needs. I have been dreaming about getting one and still haven't made my final move. According to what I read, the Silver Edition has better specification but some headfiers are saying it lacks some of the character of the Pro version.

The Silver is in fact closer to the Anniversary Edition in terms of specification. Some have said given the right tubes the Earmax is the only amp one will need..... it is that good. But personally I haven't heard one yet.

My 2 cents.
F. Lo

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 12
i am really quite scared for some reason of buying a headphone amplifier, i think that i will end up buying something not compatible with my system or something.

My ampilifer for my hi-fi is a naim nait 5i, and i was told buy the shop that sold me it, that typically, headphone amplifiers will connect to the 'tape-outs' at the back of the amp. So if i buy the earmax pro, will it definitely come with the appropriate wires/connections to connec to the tape-outs on my amp, or do i have to specify what sort of connection it is when buying or something?

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 12
You can either connect to the tape out, or connect directly from the source. I use the Earmax Pro from the tape outs of my Arcam and am more than happy with the results.

The Earmax, like any other audiophile amp does not come supplied with interconnects, so you will need to buy a pair of your favourite type. As I understand it the Naim uses DIN plugs - as opposed to the RCA as used by the Earmax; if so you'll need a DIN to RCA adapter.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 12
How do you connect directly from the source?

does it come with the right connection to connect straight to my cd player? or from the headphone jack of my pc? or is it meant to connect to something else on the soundcard, or sound drive?

Dec 18, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 12
bumpee

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 12
My set up is as below.

I would suggest you connect your source direct to the Earmax (Get the silver if you can afford it. It's worth the extra cash) The route to hifi heaven is by keeping the signal paths short as this reduces degradation. Result more detail and better focus
rs1smile.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 12
my source is a naim cd 5i. When you say to connect to the source, do you mean i should replace where the speakers are connected with the connects for the earmax? or ?

Dec 18, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 12
You can either connect your cd 5i line out directly to the Earmax (instead of directly to the Nait) or use the tape out from the Nait and connect to the Earmax that way.

If you're still unsure, take the Earmax, or whatever headphone amp you get, to your Naim dealer and ask them to provide the interconnects (and maybe DIN to RCA converters) and show you how to connect up - it really is very simple.

Dec 18, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 12
Check the NAIM connection guide.
Connecting non-naim components to a naim amp or CD player is not straightforward since naim uses different interconnects. In the later models they added RCA (=standard) connections, but I cannot find any description of the back panel of the NAIT 5i (only the nait 5).
I read however that these rca connections are of very poor quality.
They do have a naim headphone amp though.
Best to contact naim about this I think.
Hope this helps a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back