The EarMax Annivesary arrived today...

SPEECHLESS !!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 33
What is interesting to me is that the DT880 is so flexible. It must be something about the neutral presentation? Who knows, Since I've never heard a 880. But if Duncan can like the ANT Amber with it, and Nik can like the Earmax Anniversary with it, which are like polar opposites in approach (Amber is pure solid state agressiveness, Earmax is a tubey lush-fest) then the 880 must be like a blank canvas upon which many rigs can shine. Not forgiving - just, not there are all lol. Would that be called "transparent?" Maybe not, since it probably has a nice Beyer signature to it. Perhaps "clean and neutral" is better - like...a blank canvas. The canvas is still there, but it's totally ready to be painted upon without disturbing the art itself.

How's that for an interpretation without ever listening to the can? I'm the expert of extrapolation!

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 33
in my experience they are not that flexible amps-wize. the dt880 will always sound good with different gear, but are getting rather boring with some mainstream ss-amps. they certainly need extremes, to shine to their best: ss-amps with hi-res opamps (cordas, wna) or similar hi-res discrete designs (gilmore dynalo/lite?) or maybe some fine tubes to liven up their midrange...

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 33
Hey maybe that's one way to put it. It would make sense for sure - the Amber is definitely extreme lol! And the Earmax was definitely Tubey - in fact, the diff tween the Earmax and the SS amps I was listening to at the winter NYC meet was obvious - the Solo, the SR71, the XP-7 were all diff but had that SS characteristic. Then I plugged into the Earmax and it was like a total seachange - Tubes REALLY change presentation, at least out of an Earmax!

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 33
KenW in every thread you say youre gonna buy the gear being talked about (Headroom Micro stack is another ongoing thread such as this) isnt your wallet hurting lots?

I know you actually buy all the stuff you say youll buy and its starting to be a little scary... If you have a wife she must already be smacking u with the frying pan...

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The EarMax Annivesary arrived today...

SPEACKLESS !!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nik... can you be more precise?
880smile.png

ciao
Andrea

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
If you have a wife she must already be smacking u with the frying pan...

not if Ken reaches the pan first
cool.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 33
I'm not interested to know if this amp is the best of the planet, not interested to know if the better built, the better look and many other better like these... I just know that this little jewel is capturing my heart as no any other gear has done... There is something "special" in this toy that do the music really life. This is a musical instrument more than electronic project.

I'm also not interested (for the first time) in to do tuberolling, because I cannot say were I can go for something better in sound...

The EarMax come with 1 Jan Philips 12at7 wc and 2 Valvo E88cc

Best!
Nicola

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 33
Congrats on your new EMA, Nik! Finally a good amp in the house...
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'm jealous.

peacesign.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
KenW in every thread you say youre gonna buy the gear being talked about (Headroom Micro stack is another ongoing thread such as this) isnt your wallet hurting lots?

I know you actually buy all the stuff you say youll buy and its starting to be a little scary... If you have a wife she must already be smacking u with the frying pan...

Well, I do have a very understanding wife....as long as the money comes from PayPal and she has no idea as to what I spend! Besides, Paypal is play money, right?
icon10.gif

The Micro setup has been on my mind for awhile. I don't have a great card in the desktop and since I spend a ton of time on the PC, I figured I'd go ahead and enjoy the tunes while I'm there. Right now, I use the Karma/E5Cs but hey, I like to play. The EMP Anniv. has been hyped to me by Pinkie and I've been looking ever since. If I don't buy a DM-2 or 45 from Craig, I'll likely snag one of these. Universally praised and hey, I can't help myself. Maybe Nik will sell me his along with the 880s? Haven't heard those cans yet!

What can I say....business is good. For some reason, folks aren't all that great about brushing and flossing. And if that weren't enough, I've got the extreme makeover putting cosmetics in folks minds and that doesn't hurt either!

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 33
Nik>Congrats on your purchase and I look forward to your impressions.

KenW>Hyped? No I told you the EMP anniv. is a tubey amp in every sense. If you are expecting killer bass this side of a Melos amp you will not get it. If you want the pace and punch of a GSP solo, you will not get that either. If you want the detail of the Raptor then look elsewhere.

What it offers you is refinement. You want to listen to Metallica or Rage against the Machine then this amp won't make you Rock.

It's a warm sounding amp. It will help with the bright headphones. or maybe a bright source.

It's is faster than an EMP and has more controlled bass but at the end of the day it's a slush amp.

You know I love warm amps and headphones. So for me this is ideal. Don't drop your money on this and go Mr. Crybaby on me.

Audition it by all means and form your own impressions. I am not gonna fall out or argue with you on this one. If you think it sux lovespuds then chalk it down to experience when you audition it. Disagree with me if you find it is different to what you are led to believe by all means.

KenW, Read this meatstick ***Audition it first. Then decide.***

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Well, I do have a very understanding wife....as long as the money comes from PayPal and she has no idea as to what I spend! Besides, Paypal is play money, right?
icon10.gif

I just bought some new speakers with that play money. I am lucky as my wife never asks how much any of my gear cost. She once told another couple that she doesn't want to know how much I spend. All I could say is I love you! I am a very lucky man. Now if I convince her to let me take the kids out of private school I could pick up that VPI HRX I want.

We had one of the Earmax amps, I don't know if it was the Anniversary, Pro or both. Whichever one they were, I thought they were warm and for some music would be perfect and other music not the best. For the money, a very nice "dinky" little amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back