EarMax "Anniversary" Edition + DT 880
Jun 12, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
Dear Nik
This is not to dampen your enthusiasm for fine audio equipment, but a lot of what you seem to write about is in the superlative tone. Do you mean that everything is equally good? Just a couple of years ago you were all over the clarity of the Omega with your Egmont Reference (or was it Signature), then it was the R10s , then the qualias and now the 880s. Are they all equally good but different or are you of the opinion that one is the winner (as the discussion in this thread might seem to indicate!)? Many of us are guilty of falling prey to infatuations with new acquisitions. Far be it from me to insinuate that you are suffering from the flavor of the month syndrome, but the gushing tone of your threads often leave me confused to which cans you really like and which you are going to continue to like. Just as all of us look forward to reading your opinions, your brevity and the emphatic nature of your conclusions lead people like me to believe that your comments about the superior nature of the given product is definitive and absolute.
Maybe if you could provide us with more accurate frames of reference, i.e. The beyer-EMA combo does such and such w.r.t accuracy, timbre, tonal quality, frequency response, musicality, and points of musical reference (types of music, specific tracks) it would make for a more objective review.

Dear Kartik,

as you can see the cans we are speaking are ALL top of the line... Omega, R10, Qualia... (and I can add PS1, RS1, K 1000, W2002, HD 650...). Do a search in the forum and tel me wich of these cans is THE BEST, if you can declare this statment... All these cans I had was so good that I really cannot tell if there is a "first lady". I know that all of these cans have an excellet caracteristic that other do not have, for example the medrange of the R10, I cannot find in the Omega or in the Grados line... but the bass of the Omega I cannot to find in the R10 or in the W2002... so I always find something incredible in all these cans. The DT 880 is the less expensiv e can I ever had, but for certani things is the most "complete" and less weird can I had. Has the DT 880 the med of the R10, NO! Has the DT 880 the bass of the Omega, NO, has the DT 880 the detail of the Qualia, NO... but has a bit of all these beautifull caracteristic I said? YES ! I think so, the DT 880, IMHO, is perfect compromise of many excellent aspcet I have found in all the can I had.
May be is the incredible combo with the EMA that give me this so positive impression... I think that the EMA is "built" exactly fo the DT 880, and for my tastes...

Please consider eventhat headphones fo rme are a PASSION so I describe them with a lot of passion...

Best!
Nicola

Jun 12, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Dear Kartik,

as you can see the cans we are speaking are ALL top of the line... Omega, R10, Qualia... (and I can add PS1, RS1, K 1000, W2002, HD 650...). Do a search in the forum and tel me wich of these cans is THE BEST, if you can declare this statment... All these cans I had was so good that I really cannot tell if there is a "first lady". I know that all of these cans have an excellet caracteristic that other do not have, for example the medrange of the R10, I cannot find in the Omega or in the Grados line... but the bass of the Omega I cannot to find in the R10 or in the W2002... so I always find something incredible in all these cans. The DT 880 is the less expensiv e can I ever had, but for certani things is the most "complete" and less weird can I had. Has the DT 880 the med of the R10, NO! Has the DT 880 the bass of the Omega, NO, has the DT 880 the detail of the Qualia, NO... but has a bit of all these beautifull caracteristic I said? YES ! I think so, the DT 880, IMHO, is perfect compromise of many excellent aspcet I have found in all the can I had.
May be is the incredible combo with the EMA that give me this so positive impression... I think that the EMA is "built" exactly fo the DT 880, and for my tastes...

Please consider eventhat headphones fo rme are a PASSION so I describe them with a lot of passion...

Best!
Nicola

Are you saying that the Beyer is a compromise candidate with a little bit of everything while the others are flawed stars, each with flaws that prevent them from being your perfect can. I'm not so sure whether compromising fro "a bit of all these beautiful characteristics" is necessarily the best can although it may be so. Don't you have one defining aspect of headphones that you weigh above all others? For me this really is how forward the presentation is, i.e. I use this as the defining characteristic to judge the headphones. Even though many cans provide great sound, I tend to rate more forward cans above less forward ones. Other characteristics do contribute to my overall assessment but the above largely determines my perspective. It is important for you to clarify this point because it is important for people like me to understand the perspective a reviewer is using to describe their impressions of the product.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #33 of 33
The Telefunken E188CC + ECC801s are simply amazing, more dynamic and detail to the EarMax A.E. ! Less tubey sound respect to the Valvo and Philips (NOS stock tubes on my unit). I prefer the Telefunken a lot ...

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back