Earbuds > IEMs ?
May 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

EEXO

100+ Head-Fier
I find earbuds sounding better than IEMs most of the time and the earbuds I'm referring to are not even near the price of the IEMs.

Is it only me or do you guys/ladies feel the same?

If not for the noise around me when I'm taking the public transport I would not have chosen an IEM.

Another point to note is that, earbuds are generally alot more comfortable than IEMs and much much easier to put on without worrying about the seal.

I always thought of replacing my SA6 with the Yuins but the lack of isolation really pulls me back.

May 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, the rule of diminishing return applies harsher on IEM than on earbud. Like wise, the same rule applies harsher on earbud than on big can.

We pay the price of miniaturization
tongue.gif

May 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earbuds always fall out of my ears.
IEMs stay in. It's just that simple.
And they fit better, IMHO.

Have the exact same experience here (sold the PK1s too, they were great, but always were on the verge of falling off). Besides, IEMs are getting smaller and smaller. Look at the Q-Jays, UE U700 and Apple ADDIEM. All dual drivers, and very small (wearing the ADDIEM over-ear helps a lot in comfort). I owned the Q-Jays and still own the ADDIEM and can/could barely feel them in.

May 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 17
They are for different purposes.
Buds are for more quiet, personal uses and IEMs are for more busy, loud environments.
IMO, I would love to have a pair of OK1s or something because I have to use my IEMs at home and that's not that great :/

May 17, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 17
Looks like many can't get the earbuds to stay in their ears.
For me it's much more comfortable with earbuds.

@Bolardito
I really don't know, I tired top IEMs like triple.fi,SE530,UM2 (at that time),Q-jays,ER4P and they all seem to lose out when compared with the PK2. I guess I just like how airy the PK2 sounds.

@hyato
IEMs are not exactly uncomfortable for me just that earbuds are more comfortable. Portable can is out because I can't stand having my hair flatten while I'm out on the streets.

@Young Spade
Yeah you're right, they are for different purposes but can't IEMs be sounding on the level of earbuds? Or is it because of it's design that it's not possible?

May 17, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the best earbuds are far behind the best IEM's in terms of SQ.

IMO, PK1 amped is at the level of the high tier IEMs.

May 17, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 17
This sounds more like a personal preference, some persons like ear buds better and others like iem’s. Personally I prefer customs or universal iem’s with the right tips, because for me ear buds always fall out and have zero isolation so I just don’t use them. I find myself using my cutoms 80% or more for on the go audio.

May 17, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 17
I can't stand earbuds. Of course I've never been able to get any to stay in long enough to hear what they sound like.
normal_smile .gif

May 18, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 17
I haven't really tried Customs, I just can't get used to the fact that I'm taking a gamble on the fit and SQ. Are they really that much of an improvement as compared to universals?

May 18, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 17
It's whatever you prefer. I don't use either, but IEMs tend to make a lot of noise when I walk (cord noises, general bouncing) however I might've been inserting them wrong. Earbuds I find incredibly uncomfortable.

May 18, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't really tried Customs, I just can't get used to the fact that I'm taking a gamble on the fit and SQ. Are they really that much of an improvement as compared to universals?

Yeah definitively an improvement over universals (at least the top ones i.e UE11)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back