Earbuds compatible with foam tips, that sound like speakers? (recommendations)
Aug 31, 2018 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MetalLaserSteel

Head-Fier
Tough to sum up this one, but essentially I find music (mostly rock and metal) sounds great on my pretty basic PC speakers (Creative Inspire T10 2.0), and even in my basic stock car stereo speakers. But it tends to not sound as good in my Soundmagic ES18 earbuds. Just sounds a bit overly separated and lacking oomph, not lacking bass specifically, something about that played from a speaker sound just suits this music better. The band Ghost for example.

Also, the foam tips I like are Veritas small, which fit 4.5-5.5mm nozzles, seem the same size as Comply S-400 I also have used. These are the only ones that really work for me, the standard ones don't do it for me. I know these are said to muffle it a bit, but I don't mind that.

There's a compatibility chart with some of the ones that work for these size of tips over here:

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-S-400...F8&qid=1430024608&sr=8-4&keywords=comply+s400

I have tried the bit better SoundMagic E10s, I don't remember those hitting the spot either. I stocked up on ES18s since they're great for podcasts and are cheap.

So, this is a pretty specific and niche request, but if anybody knows anything that might hit this spot for me, let me know, thanks! Looking for a warm and "speaker"-ish sound, a bit airy and less separated, less sterile, at least as much as you can get from earbuds. And preferably under 100 dollars or so.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 8
try asking here

Aug 31, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 8
Sorry but you want airy but without separation ? So you want all the sound to be without separation and mashed together and airy ? Yor might have to define what you mean by airy?

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry but you want airy but without separation ? So you want all the sound to be without separation and mashed together and airy ? Yor might have to define what you mean by airy?

It's tough to describe, since I do see separation listed as a good thing by most. I guess for me with the ES18 it just feels there is too much L/R separation, like it feels 2D or flat somehow, compared to speakers, where the sound will mingle in the air a bit in front of you as it hits you. I guess separation usually means it's not muddy and has clarity, which is good? I may not be using the right words. I just like it to sound a little distorted and warm I guess, like a "speaker"y sound, and what I'm describing may be a soundstage thing. I guess I just don't like to be aware of how it's in the left and right ear, and want it to feel somehow natural and not distracting in that way, like it's on speakers. And also less "sterile", or something like that.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Well I don’t know about your speakers but mine does have separation between the left and right and also between the sounds.You might be looking for crossfeed then. Don’t use it but you can look it up and might be what you’re looking for.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm not. It was just a way of trying to describe the difference between stereo speakers and these earbuds. I know that stereo speakers output in stereo, but like I was saying, it kind of mingles in the air before hitting you. It just sounds different and to me a bit better than the earbuds I've tried. And that separation thing is just one aspect of what I'm asking about here, and I said I may not be using the right words, my intention was not for the use of the word seperation to derail any recommendations for earbuds.

I just want I guess a different kind of soundstage that sounds more natural, and something akin to the warm and less "sterile" vibe that speakers give.

But whether any of this makes sense or not, and thanks for even reading it, I'd appreciate any recommendations for decent earbuds compatible with those foam tips, under 100 dollars. I guess I could just try some and see if any sound better or more speaker-like than the ones I have.

From a quick look, it doesn't look like there's necessarily a great sounding easy crossfeed option for music on a Galaxy S7, what I use earbuds for, and I'm not sure crossfeed is necessarily going to fix most of my complaints with these ES18s anyway. And it sounds like crossfeed has a lot of downsides I read on here, I've never tried it. I sure don't want to rely on that for music on the go for the foreseeable future. So I'd still appreciate any recommendations for decent earbuds compatible with these foam tips, with a nice warm sound, under $100, this whole separation thing aside.

For example, Panasonic RP-hs46e-k slim clip on earphones even sound closer to what I'm looking for than these earbuds, though without quite enough bass naturally.

Short version: Looking for recommendations on good earbuds with these price and tip compatibility criteria. If it sounds warm or "speaker"-y, thats a bonus, but I'll try anything that may be an improvement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back