Earbuds <= $250, details inside
Nov 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
It depends on what you are looking for in an IEM. If build quality and replaceable cables are your top priority, and you also think of maybe reshelling them later, then they are worth the price IMO. If what you care most about is sound quality, then they are not really worth it. Like I wrote in my PM to you, Hifiman RE252 is the one to get if you want best price/performance in sound quality. That doesn't mean UM2 sounds bad, it's just that there are cheaper IEMs out there that sound better. UM2 still has a nice, pleasant, warm sound with good bass and mids - you should like it.

That makes sense, thanks. I read elsewhere here that were not a fan of the Phonak PFE.. people seem to rave about it, seems like a cheaper way to get something I'm after. Any thoughts on that headset?

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:

That makes sense, thanks. I read elsewhere here that were not a fan of the Phonak PFE.. people seem to rave about it, seems like a cheaper way to get something I'm after. Any thoughts on that headset?

No, I don't like PFE indeed. Not that it's bad, but I think that doesn't sound as good as all the hype surrounding it may lead you to believe. It's by no means a giant killer and is not the best IEM in price/performance IMO. The sound quality it produces is passable for $130-$150 IEM, and that's about it. It has good extension high and low and is very clear and fairly neutral, but it lacks detail compared to many other IEMs and headphones, even some that cost significantly less like RE0. It sounds quite simplistic/schematic and cannot reproduce the atmosphere of a recording properly. It sounds like it only reproduces the basics of the music and just leaves out the more complex details completely without even trying to retrieve them.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 23

Quote:

No, I don't like PFE indeed. Not that it's bad, but I think that doesn't sound as good as all the hype surrounding it may lead you to believe. It's by no means a giant killer and is not the best IEM in price/performance IMO. The sound quality it produces is passable for $130-$150 IEM, and that's about it. It has good extension high and low and is very clear and fairly neutral, but it lacks detail compared to many other IEMs and headphones, even some that cost significantly less like RE0. It sounds quite simplistic/schematic and cannot reproduce the atmosphere of a recording properly. It sounds like it only reproduces the basics of the music and just leaves out the more complex details completely without even trying to retrieve them.

Thanks for the reply, it's frustrating reading the exact opposite of what you just typed in this particular case and for basically every set out there. I realize opinions are subjective but it seems incredibly difficult to find a set that matches what I want and that people seem to universally like.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 23
^ There's no headphone that people universally like. I realize that my opinion on the PFE is clearly in the minority. Since most people like them, you will probably like them too, so just ignore what I wrote above and try them out anyway.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
^ There's no headphone that people universally like. I realize that my opinion on the PFE is clearly in the minority. Since most people like them, you will probably like them too, so just ignore what I wrote above and try them out anyway.

Yep, it's the minority. Most people do like the PFE.
I sold my RE-0 in favor of the PFE, but that's due to a number of different things not just plain SQ.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 23

Well, I keep my PFE because I always wear my IEMs over the ear, no matter what IEMs or earbud it is (so far), and I find them very, very comfortable to wear even over long periods of time. They are also very to put in and out of the ear takes me literally less than 2 secs to put them in and get a nice seal (I use them with Q-Jays tips though). They also don't isolate all that much which is good for me, I can block out external noise when studying etc. while being able to hear traffic while walking around.

My PFE is my "daily commuting around IEM", it is the one set that I always bring with me because it isn't that expensive, have neither too much or too little isolation, comfortable to wear, easy to put in and out when people talk to me, they play well out of an iPhone and I can play/pause/next track right on the cable and on top of that, I think it's a Beauty
biggrin.gif

So for what I use the PFEs for, they seam to fit my needs pretty well.
Remember that these thing vary from person to person and you should consider where and how you are using your IEMs the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back