Earbud target curve tests
Nov 17, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #91 of 318
by the way, the autoeq feature often won't show unless you have a music app playing. if you are playing music and it still doesn't show, then select "legacy mode". You can refer to my screenshot above.
I have to connect my iem's ONLY on 3.5 mm phone output or it's ok from my dac/amp? I use fiio btr5, Q3 and Sonata hd pro with UAPP. I Don't have any gear at me right now

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #92 of 318
I have to connect my iem's ONLY on 3.5 mm phone output or it's ok from my dac/amp? I use fiio btr5, Q3 and Sonata hd pro with UAPP. I Don't have any gear at me right now
Dac amp is fine but it doesn't seem to work in music players that have a usb direct mode.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #95 of 318
Awesome thread Sam L. Thanks

Would you mind sharing more graphs of frequency response measurements of earbuds?

I saw somewhere in earbuds roundup thread measurements of Yincrow X6 and Edifier P180 compared - they were similar. Edifier is also priced similar but is swiftly procurable on Amazon, so could be a great alternative. Would you mind taking a look if you havent already.

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-P180-Headphones-Inline-Control/dp/B013J2LC2A

I ordered both headphones a couple days ago. Yincrow is in transit... and Edifier arrived yesterday. It was a little too warm sounding with full foam covers (only set provided). I need to order some donuts. Which leads to another question: are your measurements with stock foams, and if there are alternatives like donuts provided then did you use them and do you detail that information in your measurements? Ive noticed in earbuds round up thread that rarely specific foam used is provided with the measurements.

This is probably a question for general earbuds roundup thread, but do you have a recommended aftermarket earbud foam cover make/brand particularly of the donut variety? I imagine thicker ones measure warmer, or have you found all foams to sound/measure pretty similarly besides donut vs full foam form?

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #96 of 318
What do you suggest as an alternative to the Wavelet? I use LG G7 and wavelet is not compatible with Android 8. I sometimes use RE_EQ with Deezer and Tidal and with USB Audio Playa a 3rd-party Parametric EQ byToneBoosters

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #97 of 318
What do you suggest as an alternative to the Wavelet? I use LG G7 and wavelet is not compatible with Android 8. I sometimes use RE_EQ with Deezer and Tidal and with USB Audio Playa a 3rd-party Parametric EQ byToneBoosters
You can use ToneBoosters Parametric EQ – just key in the values as laid out in the earbuds' ParametricEQ file

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #98 of 318
Awesome thread Sam L. Thanks

Would you mind sharing more graphs of frequency response measurements of earbuds?
I've been less active lately, after my laptop was stolen about a month ago. I'm on an old laptop now that has everything set up for measurements again. (measuring software is easy. the dev environment for generating autoeq files is a little picky). @cenizas and I are partnered to eventually get as many measurements up as possible, so we'll get there eventually.

I saw somewhere in earbuds roundup thread measurements of Yincrow X6 and Edifier P180 compared - they were similar. Edifier is also priced similar but is swiftly procurable on Amazon, so could be a great alternative. Would you mind taking a look if you havent already.
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-P180-Headphones-Inline-Control/dp/B013J2LC2A
@cenizas, let me know if you've measured the Edifier P180 or have access to one.

I ordered both headphones a couple days ago. Yincrow is in transit... and Edifier arrived yesterday. It was a little too warm sounding with full foam covers (only set provided). I need to order some donuts. Which leads to another question: are your measurements with stock foams, and if there are alternatives like donuts provided then did you use them and do you detail that information in your measurements? Ive noticed in earbuds round up thread that rarely specific foam used is provided with the measurements.
Doesn't surprise me that the Edifiers are a tad overly warm. I'm guessing you're hearing bloated upper bass that bleeds into the lower mids? That's a super common sound profile for most of the earbuds I've listened to. It appears there are really only a handful of earbuds that are more IEM tuning friendly (bk2, me80, x6, rw9). Cenizas and I measure buds with foams on. I find that foams do not affect FR beyond 1k very much, something on the order of .5 to 1.25 dB difference at most between donuts, no foam and various brands of foams. Foams do affect bass significantly, though, and is the core of the difficulty in standardizing measurement protocols. I welcome cenizas' help especially since his measurement rig and protocols mirror my results closely.

This is probably a question for general earbuds roundup thread, but do you have a recommended aftermarket earbud foam cover make/brand particularly of the donut variety? I imagine thicker ones measure warmer, or have you found all foams to sound/measure pretty similarly besides donut vs full foam form?
Partially answered above. I have yet to test the various foams fiio includes with their em5, so it is possible that their foams could make a more appreciable FR difference. However, I'm not really motivated to invest time on the impact on foams on sound since my compensation files alter the sound much more significantly.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #99 of 318

Yeah, frustrating that wavelet is only compatible from android 9+. that requirement basically removed most of the android daps out of the market for me. The whole point of my files was not only to improve the sound, but to do so in a manner that would allow me to bring my buds to every platform I use -- windows 10, mac os, android phone, dap. The autoeq project is pretty much the only thing out there that will allow this. (has linux options as well).

As onedvt mentioned, you can enter in the peq values. I try to upload both the wavelet file and a peq file. By the way, I love the lg phones. I had the v20, v30, g6, and v60. Hand in there, LG is planning to release android 10 for the lg7 4th quarter 2020, so any week now.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #100 of 318
Sound beautiful on RY4S mmcx plus. Autoeq strenght 60%. Good job bro
Nice!

We can dial in that sound even closer to the target curve with measurements of the ry4s. @cenizas do you have this bud?

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #101 of 318
Nice!

We can dial in that sound even closer to the target curve with measurements of the ry4s. @cenizas do you have this bud?
It's RY4S Plus. RY Audio store has 3 versions of RY4S: Normal (32ohm), Normal(300ohm) and Plus(32ohm). I have Plus and IMO for $7 I didn't find any buds that sound good like this and you have also the MMCX option.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #102 of 318
It's RY4S Plus. RY Audio store has 3 versions of RY4S: Normal (32ohm), Normal(300ohm) and Plus(32ohm). I have Plus and IMO for $7 I didn't find any buds that sound good like this and you have also the MMCX option.
oops, good catch. I'll put the plus on my list of buds to get. thx!

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #103 of 318
HE 150pro
v.1.5 bass edition

For those new to these wavelet files, bass edition from v1.5 forward is not extremely bass heavy in the earbuds context. It just has a smidge more bass compared to v1.4, which was flat through the lower mids into the sub bass area. At some point I will adjust v1.5 and make a more bass neutral version as well.

I've included a PEQ file for those unable to use wavelet. Warning re: using this file with peace/apo. I'm getting inconsistent results with my peq files through peace/apo, with the results more often than not sounding poor compared to the wavelet implementation. The peq values used with my qudelix 5k is much better.

If you use peace/apo (which I still do), I recommend experimenting with the "flatten" button in peace. This is essentially the same function as "eq strength" in wavelet. Most wavelet users are using an eq strength between 40% to 75%.

Good luck and as always please share observations to be considered in v1.6!

Attachments

• he 150pro ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    376 bytes · Views: 0
  • he 150pro sam v1.5.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 17, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #104 of 318

If you don't mind rooting your phone, there is always Viper4Android.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #105 of 318
If you don't mind rooting your phone, there is always Viper4Android.
Hmmm...maybe I will do that eventually. :beerchug: These days I work more from home so I mostly use desktop DAC Amp with my laptop and less phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back