Earbud (not IEM) comparison list
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tadeas

Head-Fier
Picking new headphones is a daunting task. Fortunately, for big over-the-ears or IEMs, we have good resources in the shape of various buying guides and lists. E.g., crinacle's huge IEM list.
I'm thinking about getting some earbuds (not IEMs) so I'm curious, what's some resources on this topic? What major contenders are there in various price levels?

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 3
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/absolute-best-budget-earbuds.812853/

A couple good resources.

Probably better to narrow down your budget, sound preferences and any fit issues. Then ask for help and suggestions in the roundup thread.

The majority of earbuds use 15.4mm drivers, this is especially true of the cheaper buds. These have around a 16.8mm O.D. and for some this can be uncomfortable for long sessions. For me this is so as I have smaller than average ears.

The next common size drivers are 14.8mm which seem to be around 16.1mm O.D. which is very comfortable for me.

Unfortunately this started changing with a few of the newer buds using a modified 'pk' style shell which is 16.7mm O.D.

Ultra budget/dip your toes into the earbud market (sub $10):
Vido $2-3
Nicehck Traceless (slightly upgraded vido w/nicer shells) $5-8
Monk+ $5 + shipping
K's Nameless <$8 (as cheap as $2 if they'll ship to you) recent and reported good.

The $10-$20 is heavily saturated with good sounding and great value buds.
Nicehck ME80 $15-18
Yincrow rw-9 $18-20
Snow Lotus 1.0+ or CE
Too many to list.

$20-60 you can find a few detachable cable buds and still lots of value.
BK2 is ok (lacks resolution imo) but is only $21-25 and is MMCX.
K's LB (2020 version) is one of the best I've heard in this range and is the most comfortable shell I've tried. $35-40
Willsound MK2 or MK32 (also available as MMCX versions). $45+

$60-$140 you can find excellent earbuds but diminishing value.
Smabat ST-10 original/green $90-120 (if you can find them)
Smabat ST-10S black/gold $120-150
Yincrow RW-1000 bass $80-100

$150-600+ is the TOTL stuff.
Simphonio, K's, Rose, dqsm, shozy, cypherus and others. Unfortunately many TOTL don't have detachable cables (which I prefer) so I haven't dipped my toes in the deep end yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back