"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jun 6, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #691 of 1,906
6r2DXFz.jpg

Just got mine. I ordered on May 28, so I got lucky with the free shipping I guess.

Coming from a 1more dual driver, my initial impression is...wow these are different. Lol.

First, you guys weren't lying about the sub-bass. First pair of IEM's I've had that can reproduce the sub-bass without Viper4Android.

The sound will take some getting used to. It's almost like a virtual surround setting has been ticked.

I don't hear any sibilance but I'm only a few songs in so far (Northlane - Singularity). Actually, the title track is a bit piercing after the voiceover ends but it's acceptable.

I'm driving them with my Exynos S7 Edge at the moment, using the stock tips. I will try the Fiio E18 after a while, and different tips. Also picked up the Auvio tips from Radioshack. Spotify Extreme quality.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #692 of 1,906
You guys really need to learn some patience. I only just received products ordered on March 31st. The shipping times suck. Yea they do. Nothing you can do about it though.

Well, I typically get it in 6-10 days in Singapore (it flies directly to Singapore from all major Chinese hubs). This is the first time anything has taken this long, so that's a bit weird.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #693 of 1,906
Well my Dolphins did show up yesterday. Normal speed with all my other orders. Slow compared to what others experienced, even in the US like me. Sorry to hijack thread. Back to waiting for the day I can buy these

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #694 of 1,906
Got Twin's pair of SW3's in my ears now. They play at the same level of the QT5 for sure. Just fantastic sound and specs for value pricing.

There are minor differences in the sound which I'll detail more after some time spent with them. Depending on sound preferences would sway you to one or the other. You really can't go wrong buying this or the QT5. They both have that special sauce quality to them.

I would probably pick the detachable version to cable swap and go balanced with. The QT5 cable feels more impressive and imposing compared to the clean cut, neatly wrapped lines of the SW3's cable.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #695 of 1,906
cool.gif
Just received Hazard's QT5's and have had a short listen for a quick impression before I leave for work. Yes they definitely play in the same Ballpark as the Shockwaves. I was quite surprised to find them as Dark as they are. The Shockwaves by comparison are much brighter, clinical, and revealing. The QT5 are a more relaxed listen. They remind me of the TK12 with more Bass presence. The QT5 should be a less fatiguing long session listen. I do feel however, that the Shockwaves have a deeper Sub Bass extension despite having a less noticible bass presence.

That's all for now, just first impressions. BTW I did get my Auvio Large to fit the Nozzles.

YMMV

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #696 of 1,906
Thanks @TwinACStacks for the comparison with the SWIII, I've been waiting for your impression before taking my first plunge into the Chinese IEM market.

I prefer a sparkly treble with sub bass which the SWIII seems to tick those boxes and your opinion has finally made up my mind.

SWIII order through Easy :)

Cheers,

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #697 of 1,906

cool.gif
Just received Hazard's QT5's and have had a short listen for a quick impression before I leave for work. Yes they definitely play in the same Ballpark as the Shockwaves. I was quite surprised to find them as Dark as they are. The Shockwaves by comparison are much brighter, clinical, and revealing. The QT5 are a more relaxed listen. They remind me of the TK12 with more Bass presence. The QT5 should be a less fatiguing long session listen. I do feel however, that the Shockwaves have a deeper Sub Bass extension despite having a less noticible bass presence.

That's all for now, just first impressions. BTW I did get my Auvio Large to fit the Nozzles.

YMMV

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Sweet! Keith mind also comparing them to the D2 when you get a chance, over at the D2 thread? really interested to see how they compare :)  

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #698 of 1,906

cool.gif

YMMV

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

+1. Both are very special phones.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #700 of 1,906
I have just received my Shockwave 3 s from Easy .
So far very pleased , not only did they arrive quicker than I thought they would (ordered 26th May ), but on first listen ~ very impressive.
I have come a hybrid ba+dd that I have just fallen in love with all over again after trying spin fit tips with Trinity Deltas. But,,

These though do definately have fantastic details coming from all around ~ sorry folks I'm a bit of a newbie and its late, the head fi terminology isn't flowing right now , but hopefully I will try a more informative review later , but I can confirm skull and twin have discovered a real gem in these.
They really throw sound around more than anything I have used so far and details are damn good . 245 more hours of burn in to go. :ear::thumbsup:

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #701 of 1,906
  The SW3 pairs nicer with warm sources. The QT5 pairs nicer with balanced or slightly bright sources.

Dammit lol. Twin says the QT5 reminds him of the TK12 which I wouldn't mind having since I sold mine for the TK13. You are saying though that the SW3 is nicer for warm sources which my portable X3-ii & E12 combo is (I'm pretty sure). My iBasso D14 for my laptop is more neutral in comparison though. Grr. Still over $200 for either of them though

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #703 of 1,906
So which one to get guys? SW3 or TK13 or QT5?? I am confused

If you have SW3 or QT5 money then skip the 13's lol. Looking through the thread and seeing impressions I don't think either one would be a bad choice. I'm partial to SW3 if I buy one simply b/c MusicMaker is fantastic. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #704 of 1,906
  Dammit lol. Twin says the QT5 reminds him of the TK12 which I wouldn't mind having since I sold mine for the TK13. You are saying though that the SW3 is nicer for warm sources which my portable X3-ii & E12 combo is (I'm pretty sure). My iBasso D14 for my laptop is more neutral in comparison though. Grr. Still over $200 for either of them though

Well IMHO (unless the DQSM2 is all that for the money, come on China post!) the TK12 has been the best bang for the buck iem out of Music Maker but as always YMMV
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #705 of 1,906

Well IMHO (unless the DQSM2 is all that for the money, come on China post!) the TK12 has been the best bang for the buck iem out of Music Maker but as always YMMV
beerchug.gif

Unfortunately I just think it looks ugly, also, I know its in the implementation, but I already have the 13's which are also 2 BA/1 DD so I am looking into those extra BA's. I've messaged Easy & HCK already today, asked them for the lowest price between the SW3 (Easy) and QT5 (HCK)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back