"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jun 2, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #661 of 1,906

cool.gif
Paulo, could be TIPS too. The stock ones bring out sibilance and nasty treble. They are actually fairly tip sensitive. I have my Favorites on them (Auvio Large) and the wide-bores really help with the Sound signature.

I just don't agree with the 846 having better Bass but that is my opinion.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Yes, tips too. I found MEE dual flange with wide bore to be the ones that show this IEM full potential. I believe there's better though, did not want to buy any more tips, have tons of them.

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #662 of 1,906
M
:cool: Paulo, could be TIPS too. The stock ones bring out sibilance and nasty treble. They are actually fairly tip sensitive. I have my Favorites on them (Auvio Large) and the wide-bores really help with the Sound signature.

I just don't agree with the 846 having better Bass but that is my opinion.

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

I agree with the point about tips. Can Have an effect on the sound. However it is obvious we hear things differently out of Shure 846. Having spend considerable time with them and tried out different tips and cable and filter mods (some owned and some borrowed from friends) I am feel they are amazingly well balanced. The bass is very refined and the best part is that it can be tuned further as per the users preference. But sound is very personal and everyone has their own preferences.

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #663 of 1,906
the keggers are here! I'm using the mh1c tips in L which provide the best sound of all the tips I've tried to my ears... first impressions after 3 songs compared to my fischer amps rhapsody rapture. the bass of these things is amazing, the sound is very natural, detailed and crisp. soundstage very wide with amazing separation, these are better than the fa 4e rhapsody rapture wihout any doubt. AMAZING friends.

Well after a bit of time with them I must say the fischer amps rhapsody do a better job with the treble and the mids, things are more fluid vivid with more energy and brighter and the sound is more liquid. But these phones are a beast technically :) soundstage is a bit better in the shockwaves and bass is better, detail and separation are similar. Let's see after burning period.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #664 of 1,906
I just received mine as well..

Here is my quick out of the box impression.

Plus:
-Very detailed sound throughout the entire frequency. 
-Great stereo imaging. Precise and well layered soundstage.
-Easy to drive
-Wow surprisingly great isolation
-Sub-bass extension is also great. Laying out awesome foundation for any type of music when its called for.
-Very good timbre for BA + DD drivers setup

Minus:
-Cable is little microphonic
-Strain reliefs look not too sturdy
-Bass feel hint disjointed but burn-in may solve this 

Jun 4, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #666 of 1,906
agree with the timbre it's just that i find the sound a bit thin and dry I changed to a set of tips  which came with my fischer rhapsody and the bass impact is greatly increased. I'm starting to like these a lot.

In btw I'm not finding problems with the detachable cables. Maybe I'll try a copper cable probably the sound will improve considering the qualities of these iems.

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #667 of 1,906
Sub-Bass is absolutely mental on this thing.

Hits so hard and the bottomless extension reminds me of those good and old Atrios IEMS.

There is little sizzle somewhere upper mids or highs that bothers me little..

I am hoping burn-in or tip rolling will take care of it. 
I had to burn my pair in for 200 hours before the sizzle went away. Now Spinfit tips sound great on the keggers.

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #669 of 1,906
I'm still waiting for my keggs. Guys my experience says that there is no burning process for balanced drivers. Some diffrences may be noticed after first hour or two. Dynamic driver is different story.

The music makers dynamic driver is what requires burning in I believe. Have completed more than 300 of burn in. There is a slight change that I can perceive now. Don't know if it's brain burn in or real burn in. The highs don't change much. Still a little too much for me. Needs equalising. The bass for me has not changed much. It was very good to start with anyways. The receded vocals along with the bright sound makes it too tiring for a long listen. The clarity, separation etc is excellent though. If only the treble was under control. I would be very interested in a review of a pair with copper cables. I suspect the problem is the cables and with the right combination this could be a very good pair of earphones in my books. Right now it's still a good pair just missing the spot.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #670 of 1,906
  I'm still waiting for my keggs. Guys my experience says that there is no burning process for balanced drivers. Some diffrences may be noticed after first hour or two. Dynamic driver is different story.

cool.gif
There is. It just takes much longer and is less noticeable. Diaphram vs metal plate.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #671 of 1,906
The music makers dynamic driver is what requires burning in I believe. Have completed more than 300 of burn in. There is a slight change that I can perceive now. Don't know if it's brain burn in or real burn in. The highs don't change much. Still a little too much for me. Needs equalising. The bass for me has not changed much. It was very good to start with anyways. The receded vocals along with the bright sound makes it too tiring for a long listen. The clarity, separation etc is excellent though. If only the treble was under control. I would be very interested in a review of a pair with copper cables. I suspect the problem is the cables and with the right combination this could be a very good pair of earphones in my books. Right now it's still a good pair just missing the spot.

cool.gif
I will give you this, they are on the bright side and absolutely are not a non-fatiguing listen, but they have the DEEPEST extending sub-bass response that I've ever heard in an IEM, maybe even full blown Headphones too, Of course your source material has to have these frequencies in it. The rewards outweigh the negatives once you become accustomed to their sound. I use NO EQ. Their clarity and sound Stage are exceptional. BUT they are not for everyone.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #672 of 1,906
  Sub-Bass is absolutely mental on this thing.

Hits so hard and the bottomless extension reminds me of those good and old Atrios IEMS.

There is little sizzle somewhere upper mids or highs that bothers me little..

I am hoping burn-in or tip rolling will take care of it. 

They are one of a kind. So glad you liked them 
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #675 of 1,906
I cant find the shockwave in shenzenaudio's site? Care to give me a link?

HCK store on AE, $260:

http://tinyurl.com/hug3rzk

Easy's store on AE, $255:

http://tinyurl.com/h9avxma

Either store may give a discount if you message them first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back