"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Dec 25, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #1,426 of 1,906
Thanks Twin, you are part off the reason that I have been lusting after these for so long..lol.Just got the A4 so I'll probably chill till after the holidays and then take the plunge but of course by then there may be something new out..It never ends, 2016 was a super year for IEMs.unless you ask my wallet...

Trumpet, How you like the A4?  Absolutely Stellar.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,427 of 1,906
Trumpet, How you like the A4?  Absolutely Stellar.

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

It is absolutely stellar! With The Black/Blue combo it is very close to my perfect sound signature. Balanced and pleasing to the ear.No sibilance whatsoever. Details and clarity are first class for my ears. Combined with Excellent instrument separation, placement. Resolution and timber that is second only to my JVC850. Definitely in the $500 and up class as far as sound quality IMO...If the Kegs are better than this then resistance is Futile...Wonder what the New year Wil bring?

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,429 of 1,906
IMO JVC 850 SQ is much better than SW3. If A4 is equally good as SW3 or just slightly better, then it's no match for the 850

I agree with you that the JVC850 is better in most areas than the A4 but the A4 is unique and special in it's own right. It would be difficult to find anything less than $300 that competes on the same sound level IMO....The question is do I"need" the Kegs if I have the A4 and the JVC850..Inquiring minds....

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,430 of 1,906
Just received my pair yesterday and playing around with them while mixing in some burn-in. Definitely the bess Chi-fi IEM I have owned and most expensive, but I am confused about one thing.

While the bass is present, detailed, punchy, accurate and deep, does anyone else feel like that amount of bass could be boosted?

I had come expecting a bass monster, but it seems like OOTB, the Tennmak Pro has it beat on bass, but that kind of bass is a bit bloated. That being said, I don't see why the Shockwave couldn't retain all of its characteristics, while making the bass a bit stronger.

I tip rolled with both Spinfits and Spiral Dots. Hopefully through burn-in, the bass gets stronger.

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,431 of 1,906
So after further testing with different players and tips, kegs turned out sibilant and harsh with all of them.

I messaged Jim from HCK store asking for new pair that was previously tested and he said I should send them back so they could deliver them to musicmaker company for evaluation. Then they will either "fix" them or give me a new pair.

Is someone here familiar with dispute process? What can i expect? Who pays shipping? I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with the return process :)

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,432 of 1,906
I once returned the QT5, no issues. I did pay shipping however.

In my book the Shockwave III needs a darker source to shine. At first I could not stand them in the Zishan DSD, borderline headache - but since I amp-rolled the DSD to BB OPA2107 they turned out fine. I also like them with the iHifi990.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,433 of 1,906
I once returned the QT5, no issues. I did pay shipping however.

In my book the Shockwave III needs a darker source to shine. At first I could not stand them in the Zishan DSD, borderline headache - but since I amp-rolled the DSD to BB OPA2107 they turned out fine. I also like them with the iHifi990.

So they are extremely dependant on source. I didn't think it could make such a drastic difference. I'm intrigued (once again).

Guess I'll jump in the car and go find the store with the darkest sounding player available. Just to make sure I tried everything before I return them. How much did you pay for shipping? :)

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,435 of 1,906
So they are extremely dependant on source. I didn't think it could make such a drastic difference. I'm intrigued (once again).

Guess I'll jump in the car and go find the store with the darkest sounding player available. Just to make sure I tried everything before I return them. How much did you pay for shipping?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can try them with the Xuelin iHifi990, no EQ, low gain. For me thats smack right middle in the audio goldilocks zone.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,436 of 1,906

Guess I'll jump in the car and go find the store with the darkest sounding player available. Just to make sure I tried everything before I return them. How much did you pay for shipping?
smily_headphones1.gif

cool.gif
Nezzad, I'm firmly convinced that they have somehow changed the Drivers or configuration from the Originals. Mine are NOT source dependent at all. They are Brighter earphones to be sure but exhibit no signs of Sibilance at all. Like I have maintained all throughout  This thread and my Review, these are clinically precise and not for Everyone. They have NEVER been a relaxed listen, there is just too much musical information being presented all at once. I very much equate these on Par with the AKG K701/ 702 type STUDIO MONITOR sound.

They are by far the Best IEMs I have heard but not the easiest to wear. If You want High-caliber Relaxed listen the LZ A4 is more suitable along those lines.

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,437 of 1,906
:cool: Nezzad, I'm firmly convinced that they have somehow changed the Drivers or configuration from the Originals. Mine are NOT source dependent at all. They are Brighter earphones to be sure but exhibit no signs of Sibilance at all. Like I have maintained all throughout  This thread and my Review, these are clinically precise and not for Everyone. They have NEVER been a relaxed listen, there is just too much musical information being presented all at once. I very much equate these on Par with the AKG K701/ 702 type STUDIO MONITOR sound.

They are by far the Best IEMs I have heard but not the easiest to wear. If You want High-caliber Relaxed listen the LZ A4 is more suitable along those lines.

JMHO

Slight brightness isn't an issue for me. I could listen to them for a long time if they were brighter than average, but this is on another level. As i wrote earlier, I had to decrease the 8k range by 8db(!!!!) For sibilance to be reduced (not gone)

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #1,438 of 1,906
Slight brightness isn't an issue for me. I could listen to them for a long time if they were brighter than average, but this is on another level. As i wrote earlier, I had to decrease the 8k range by 8db(!!!!) For sibilance to be reduced (not gone)

cool.gif
like I've stated before, as well as Jon, there IS no sibilance, in any range, in our pairs of SWIII. Something has changed or is wrong.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #1,439 of 1,906

cool.gif
like I've stated before, as well as Jon, there IS no sibilance, in any range, in our pairs of SWIII. Something has changed or is wrong.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,440 of 1,906
:cool: like I've stated before, as well as Jon, there IS no sibilance, in any range, in our pairs of SWIII. Something has changed or is wrong.

I understand. It's a shame they had to massacre a perfectly well-tuned IEM like that.

Hck store asked me to send them back so they can test them, and, in case they find out kegs are defective, exchange them for a new pair.

I'm just worried that they will send a new pair that is tuned the same way so I'll have to spin in circles all over again. Bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back