"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Dec 22, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #1,411 of 1,906
The keggers are now available on Penon Audio. Though I'm unsure if the one they have in stock is the with the fixed or MMCX cable.
It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Dunu DK-3001 and DK-4001 when they are released, especially the 4001 with its similar driver configuration.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #1,412 of 1,906
Maybe I have a defective unit, as I have no sibilance at all !!
Im going do some tip rolling and device testing as, personally Im not having ANY of the above issues at all

Bothers me to hear these things as the SWIII's are just so so good
Just doesn't make sense that people are reporting these particular issues with the same IEM's :/
Im using KZ for tips and iBasso DX80 so the source is great.... maybe they need a perfect synergy??

Hopefully I can hear and test someones unit to mine because if they are as sibilant as people are saying
I can only think they must be defective?
As Ive mentioned before, mine have over 400 hours on them and I did find some tips made them a little 'hot'
but [luckily] for me, the kz foam + dx80 is a perfect synergy
Dang, I wish everyone was finding them as great as I do :frowning2:

>>> Could someone upload/PM me a track that is particularly bad for them so I can test please <<<

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,414 of 1,906
Jon - definitely try 3 doors down, Kryptonite.

Great, thank you, got it. Day of tomorrow so will have a good listen then.
(quick listen at work on tube - there is quite a lot of energy in the highs...Interesting mastering. Anyway, should be a perfect track to test with :)

What devices / tips are people using  (if you don't know the brand then - bore width [narrow or wide] how thick the stem is etc etc)

Source of audio as well - For example CD's from the 80's or more recently music that has been compressed horribly and has no dynamics.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,415 of 1,906
Great, thank you, got it. Day of tomorrow so will have a good listen then.
(quick listen at work on tube - there is quite a lot of energy in the highs...Interesting mastering. Anyway, should be a perfect track to test with :)

What devices / tips are people using  (if you don't know the brand then - bore width [narrow or wide] how thick the stem is etc etc)

Source of audio as well - For example CD's from the 80's or more recently music that has been compressed horribly and has no dynamics.

I played FLAC version of the song, on my galaxy s7 edge european version with dedicated DAC (that makes my IE80's sound really good to be honest). I also tried them on my ROG g751JY asus laptop, although I'm not sure if it uses a dedicated DAC, probably not because kegs sounded duller with less detail than on S7.

I used various tips and they all gave similar results. All of them were sibilant, even KZ foams.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,416 of 1,906
I did notice on the picture that someone was selling a pair of them on that the cable was different to mine
which means that at some point there has definitely been a change with something!!

We'll get to the bottom of this!
If I can get to check against my own set and there is a fault or a lower quality with some of the units,  then there
may be a good case to request a refund or replacement :)

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,418 of 1,906
cool.gif
Jon, this is the track I use. The Vocals are recorded almost verging on Sibilance. If any thing will push them over the edge this should do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEi3pd5xvk

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,419 of 1,906

>>> Could someone upload/PM me a track that is particularly bad for them so I can test please <<<

1. To love you more - Celine Dion
2. Angels - Sarah McLachlan

Thank you sir, appreciate it . .
Which album is 'Angels' from?
Do you mean 'Of Angel' ?   or 'Angel' (from album 'Surfacing')

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,423 of 1,906
Oh I see it, they are on Ali, not on their website...With all the recent disparity on the highs/sibilance I'm afraid to pull the trigger on these although based on the sound reviews I would really love to try them..

cool.gif
I believe that AK Audio as well as a banned seller still have the originals on Ali Express. Don't Quote me on this. Probably HCK as well, however with the recent problems other members have been having with their service/return policy, I would be hesitant to buy anything this spendy.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,424 of 1,906
:cool: I believe that AK Audio as well as a banned seller still have the originals on Ali Express. Don't Quote me on this. Probably HCK as well, however with the recent problems other members have been having with their service/return policy, I would be hesitant to buy anything this spendy.

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

Thanks Twin, you are part off the reason that I have been lusting after these for so long..lol.Just got the A4 so I'll probably chill till after the holidays and then take the plunge but of course by then there may be something new out..It never ends, 2016 was a super year for IEMs.unless you ask my wallet...

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #1,425 of 1,906
Thanks Twin, you are part off the reason that I have been lusting after these for so long..lol.Just got the A4 so I'll probably chill till after the holidays and then take the plunge but of course by then there may be something new out..It never ends, 2016 was a super year for IEMs.unless you ask my wallet...

Trumpet, How you like the A4?  Absolutely Stellar.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back