Ear/Headphone Suggestions for a N3wB!
Jul 1, 2010 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

digitalcancer

New Head-Fier
So...I'm new to these forums but love reading reviews around here!  My budget is ~$100 for my first pair.

Anyway...I've finally decided to break down and buy my first "high-end" set of phones.  I work in a small office setting (I do have my own office but I'm in a 'pod' with 3 other ppl around me, so I am somewhat worried about sound leakage.  I had originally decided to pick up a pair of Grado SR60's from here but he was nice enough and explained they had a lot of sound leakage...a friend in the office has a pair of Sen HD555's that are not too bad and I've read that the Grado's leak much worse.

So...I want a decent set of phones w/ little leakage (think HD 555's).  I don't think that I want the 555's simply b/c they sound 'flat' to me w/ no bass...but I've only listened for about 20-30mins on them.

I have been looking at the Klipsch S4's or the R-Zero's for earbuds or the Schur M50's and Denon D1001's for some can's.

I just need a few suggestions and a good place to buy as I can't seem to find the R-Zero's at all!! 

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 10
I think you should look into the Audio Technica M50s.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi.

Sorry for "hi-jacking" the thread :), as I have a similar issue.

Just a question - can Audio Technica M50 work with regular PC sound cards (coming on board, nothing fancy like Creative cards)?

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Assuming the computer has a headphone plugin it will work fine. Will it benefit from a better card, of course. If you are going from stock earbuds you will be shocked on the improvement, atleast I was.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 10
The M50s are considered easy to power and I have no problems with volume when plugging it into my onboard soundcard's headphones jack.

As for leakage, it also depends on how loud you listen to your music. In my opinion (or the people around me rather), the M50s does leak quite a bit, since I tend to listen to them on what most people would consider a loud volume. I turn it down when I'm trying to concentrate on something that I'm working on and it has not bothered anyone yet though.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 10
So how do these to compare to the M50's?

ATH-PRO700 SV ($125)
ATH-A700 ($135)

I have been debating the A700's as they seem pretty nice and I can get a decent deal on them.  The Pro700's are about $10 cheaper.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 10
I've heard a ton of people not liking the A700's sound. But it's personal preference, I got M50's and can not complain

Here are reviews for both
A700-http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/96522/a700-impressions
M50's-http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/386819/audio-technica-ath-m50-review

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 10
A700's definitely are a colored sound, so your mileage may vary.  They're also very large in comparison to what the average person nowadays thinks of as "normal" size headphones, so how much you care about looking like you have cups the size of Princess Leia's hair buns can be an issue.  I used to get a lot of flak at one of my jobs when I was using a pair, but that's partially because of the type of people in that office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back