Ear Cleaning/Ear-wax Removal?
Oct 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bionix Lighted Ear Curette

I've used this on people and it works pretty well.

Man that look dangerous! No way something like that gets into my ear.

I used to get clogs sometimes when I was a child. They had some solvent and warm water to flush the ears. Annoying since you had to lay down for quite some time to give it time.

Luckily I just about never need to clean my ears anymore. It´s true that if you continous clean your ears with cotton swabs it just produces more ear wax when your ears get irritated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 26
I don't want to go to the doctor's if I'm just paranoid, but I've been using peroxide, mineral oil, and water for days and nothing's come out. I would normally think there's nothing back there since I don't notice any decrease in volume or hearing quality, but I've been using cotton swabs for 20 years and just recently discovered that it supposedly pushes wax back towards the eardrum...

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #18 of 26
Mystere9, I'd go to the doctor to get a plug out. After that, you can try keeping them clean yourself.

I usually use the shower head to irrigate my ears every morning, followed by Q-tips. That gets almost everything out. A few times a week, I have to use a Japanese mimikaki tool. Despite being terribly white, I get the Asian-style flakes, as do others in my family. The mimikaki pick is perfect. If I get a serious buildup (every few months) I'll put hydrogen peroxide in each ear for 10-15 minutes. I'll follow that with a shower and a thorough irrigation to wash out the peroxide and anything in there, followed by Q-tips. This works very well - never had any discomfort from these techniques and no blockages. Even at 37, I can still hear 20kHz test tones.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 26
peroxide, let it sit for at least 5 minutes (tilt your head). then into the shower with a removable shower head and flow some warm water into the ear and let it drain out by gravity.

works well and is as safe as can be. my local water pressure isn't strong enough to do harm but it does loosen the wax once the peroxide has done its 'bubbly thing' inside.

about once a week keeps things clean.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to go to the doctor's if I'm just paranoid, but I've been using peroxide, mineral oil, and water for days and nothing's come out. I would normally think there's nothing back there since I don't notice any decrease in volume or hearing quality, but I've been using cotton swabs for 20 years and just recently discovered that it supposedly pushes wax back towards the eardrum...

GO to the doctor! go to a good one, though.

they use some kind of pick thing but they are good at it. its amazing what they can find in there (not always good but good to get it out).

some doctors will do the peroxide thing and have you wait in their office for 10 minutes with cotton in your ears while the peroxide loosens the stuff. my last dr. trip, they didn't use the liquid at all and used some pick like thing (its safe, don't worry!) and she did just an amazing job. I felt like a new person afterwards
wink.gif

I avoid doctors; but for this, its nothing to be afraid of.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 26
just get a GF. Woman gets addicted to digging men's ears.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #23 of 26
I was flipping channels and found Dr. Oz demonstrating the safe way to clean ears. Put a few drops of baby oil in the ear and lay on your side to let it dissolve the wax. Then lay you head down on a towel to let it drip out.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #24 of 26
It's much easier and less painful if you put drops in your ears for a few days (when you go to bed at night) BEFORE you attempt to clean out your ears. This allows the wax time to soften making removal of the wax much EASIER.

Putting the drops in 45 minutes before attempting to flush them out doesn't work very well if the wax is impacted in there.

Make sense?

My doctor won't flush out my ears unless I have put drops in for a few days beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back