Ear Candling? Should I do it?
Jun 23, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use a q-tip.

Terrible idea also. You can use a q-tip to clean the "outside" of your ear, but once you put that thing into the ear canal, all you do is push the wax further inside making your situation worse.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terrible idea also. You can use a q-tip to clean the "outside" of your ear, but once you put that thing into the ear canal, all you do is push the wax further inside making your situation worse.

You could get them candled.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 29
I had a hell of an ear infection back in my swimming days during the teen years, and was in insufferable pain. My Peruvian friend's mother came over and spun some newspaper into a sort of funnel and jammed it down my ear and burned it. No wax involved as in the "candling" practice. At some point, all the pressure in my ear was relieved and I was on my way to feeling better.

While I would in no way encourage this kind of potentially dangerous practice, all I can say is that it helped me tremendously at the time.

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #21 of 29
Just use deborox or have it flushed your next doctor's appointment.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #22 of 29
Haha, I actually tried to use these ear candles once. Absolutely does not work, and if your hands aren't steady you could easily puncture your ear drum. there isnt enough of a seal and even if there was I dont think the pressure difference is actually enough to pull gunk from your ear. I was actually looking for a netti pot but could not find one. In my desperation and seemingly going deaf from clogged ears I picked up the ear candles. The only thing they did was get ash all over my carpet and make my house smell like burning paper.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #23 of 29
Ear Candling...

This can't be what I think it is... Do you stick a candle in your EAR?!?!?!?
blink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #24 of 29
I think the principle is that you use the flame to eat up oxygen which creates a vacuum you can use to pull out ear wax.

Deborox is great it melts the earwax and fizzles it out with a peroxide like feeling. Very relaxing, but it is only effective really if you use it regularly as its more of a preventive thing. Flushing it at a doctor's is so much better (They also use a peroxide variant in the flushing) as a cleaner. After which you can look at how much comes out and you'll be surprise that that much can even fit in your ear. Once a year seems enough since I went to the doctor last Friday and they said I'm clean enough still not to require it and I had it done maybe a year ago.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How can you put in earplugs without essentially doing the same thing?

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #26 of 29
Never put anything larger than your elbow in your ear.
Well, maybe the blue rubber bulb with some warm water after using murine ear drops. :wink:

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a hell of an ear infection back in my swimming days during the teen years, and was in insufferable pain. My Peruvian friend's mother came over and spun some newspaper into a sort of funnel and jammed it down my ear and burned it. No wax involved as in the "candling" practice. At some point, all the pressure in my ear was relieved and I was on my way to feeling better.

While I would in no way encourage this kind of potentially dangerous practice, all I can say is that it helped me tremendously at the time.

Ah, yes. The not-so-widely-known Peruvian Aural Funnel...

Your friend's mom must have had that ancient knowledge passed down from her own mother. You can't learn that kind of stuff at med school!

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, yes. The not-so-widely-known Peruvian Aural Funnel...

Your friend's mom must have had that ancient knowledge passed down from her own mother. You can't learn that kind of stuff at med school!

Yeah, med school only teach you how to deal with the stupid mess made by folk practitioners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back