Ear Candling? Should I do it?
Jun 23, 2007 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Advil

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I got a 30 dollar coupon to an "Essential Healing and Massage" place and some of the things I can use it for includes ear candling. I hear this can be dangerous, especially if you have ear tubes. I had ear tubes put in when I was about 8, so about 10 years ago. But as far as I know, they fall out (I even saw one fall out after about a year).

I was wanting to clean out my ears because of my constant having to plug my nose and equalize my left ear in order to hear pitches correctly during voice lessons or choir rehearsal. I feel like my ears are severely filthy! I was really planning on doing it but I'm hearing about the dangers of it and was wondering if anyone here had any input or experience.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 29
haha ok, nevermind
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 29
I did it once.....you can hear the paper popping/burning, which is kinda loud. Otherwise, it feels good IMO.

And the stuff that's in your ear comes out, feels AWESOME. It looks like kurdled milk...

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did it once.....you can hear the paper popping/burning, which is kinda loud. Otherwise, it feels good IMO.

And the stuff that's in your ear comes out, feels AWESOME. It looks like kurdled milk...

Nothing came out of your ear, all that gunk came from the ear candle itself. You can light an ear candle and just let it burn out, and it will still have all that gunk even though it was nowhere near anybody's ear.

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing came out of your ear, all that gunk came from the ear candle itself. You can light an ear candle and just let it burn out, and it will still have all that gunk even though it was nowhere near anybody's ear.

Fitz be correct. I have tried ear candles and they feel good in a way, but I've tested a candle on its own and the waxy gunk is produced by the candle. Looking back I think perhaps the good feeling was a psychological product of seeing all that wax.

What's more, my ex girlfriend tried one and wound up with really hot candle wax in her ear. It came out several weeks later, but for those three weeks her ear smelled like burning.

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wanting to clean out my ears because of my constant having to plug my nose and equalize my left ear in order to hear pitches correctly during voice lessons or choir rehearsal. I feel like my ears are severely filthy!

What you're describing is not normal. You should really see a doctor about this. Maybe it's ear wax stuck in your inner ear, but it could be something else. Either way, it's worth getting yourself checked out.

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 29
Sounds pretty bunk to me.

If you want to have your ears clean, my doctor uses the Elephant Ear Washer (Google it). It uses a gentle stream of water and is really very effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back