EAC Foobar ASIO4ALL WASAPI Settings Pictorial
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #76 of 251
now i feel bad that you went through the trouble of that (hopefully it helps others) but i was actually talking about the asio4all offline settings, or icon that appears on the bottom right when music's playing.

28mifl0.png

burr brown japan is my 3move (weird name) and i'm 99.9% sure the asio is coming out of that as it should but i just wanted to know if there was a way to disable the "conexant high definition" from this window so i know for sure.

and i do have vista so i'm still not sure why wasapi's got such a problem.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #77 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by n0ah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now i feel bad that you went through the trouble of that (hopefully it helps others) but i was actually talking about the asio4all offline settings, or icon that appears on the bottom right when music's playing.

28mifl0.png

burr brown japan is my 3move (weird name) and i'm 99.9% sure the asio is coming out of that as it should but i just wanted to know if there was a way to disable the "conexant high definition" from this window so i know for sure.

You dont have to disable it, you may want to use it later, just follow the directions in my last post. If Foobar isnt using your Conexant then it wont run when you listen to music.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #78 of 251
so both are being used even though i'm listening out of my dac? i don't know what the conexant is.

also to you or anyone that knows enough about asio in general, i installed the plugin for winamp but only use winamp for movies. would asio be good for that? any difference? worse? sometimes out of budget computer speakers, sometimes headphones.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #79 of 251
Quote:

so both are being used even though i'm listening out of my dac? i don't know what the conexant is.

also to you or anyone that knows enough about asio in general, i installed the plugin for winamp but only use winamp for movies. would asio be good for that? any difference? worse? sometimes out of budget computer speakers, sometimes headphones.

newpicturezr1.jpg

<none> = disabled <~~
L or R = enabled <~~

The settings you continue to speak of are not in the ASIO Offline settings, they are in Foobar. Your ASIO Buffer can be set at 1024 too.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #80 of 251
i already configured those. on my foobar settings, only my dac is set up. left/right as it should be. nothing else is even listed. but conexant still shows up on the asio icon.

i already know it's running out of the dac but for my ocd's sake would like to see that conexant greyed out or disabled if possible. if this doesn't matter and it's looking like it doesn't i guess i'll just leave this left alone.

edit: i missed your last line though. why would i down my buffer size from 2048 to 1024?

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #81 of 251
Quote:

i already configured those. on my foobar settings, only my dac is set up. left/right as it should be. nothing else is even listed. but conexant still shows up on the asio icon.

i already know it's running out of the dac but for my ocd's sake would like to see that conexant greyed out or disabled if possible. if this doesn't matter and it's looking like it doesn't i guess i'll just leave this left alone.

edit: i missed your last line though. why would i down my buffer size from 2048 to 1024?

This setting depends on your processor speed and memory. Reducing the buffer size reduces latency (This is good) and increasing the buffer size reduces glitches (Necessary if your computer is having problems) but will increase latency (Not good). Its best to try and get it as low as you can without having any glitches (during normal use) to reduce latency. Hover your pointer over the slider and you will see a pop-up explaining this. I assume your computer is relatively fast since you are using Vista, maybe if you had a PIII that was 8 years old or if you have a crap load of processes going on simultaniously then a super high buffer would be necessary but for playing music and surfing the web I really doubt you will need your buffer maxed out.

EDIT: I reduced the size of my ASIO4ALL buffer to 196 for both Optical and USB and noticed substantial improvement in sound quality. Better bass impact, clarity, and focus. Runs fine without any glitches, I can run Auslogics Speedboost 1 Click (Cleaner, Defrag, Blah Blah) when listening to music no problem. I also reduced the size of my Foobar output buffer to 500ms.

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #82 of 251
I have some problems, so I'm just quoting myself form another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmouth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

I just got my Zero DAC/Amp. I want to connect it to my SB Audigy soundcard, which is possible with some kind of adapter. I have both tried with a mini to RCA adapter and an iPod cable used to connect the iPod to a television.

I get sound through it, but if i press the mini connector all the way in the sound is just lagging, it's all hacked up. If I'm adjusting the mini connector so it at least sounds normal it doesn't sound very good at all. It all gets very bassy, and if the recording already contain a lot of bass, the bass gets distorted. I'm comparing to the SPDIF-connection from my motherboard, that doesn't seem to have support for anything else than 48 khz...

How should I do? There is an original adapter, but it's quite expensive and should do exactly the same thing as this adapter from what I can tell.

Thank you in advance!

Quote:

The more serious problem is now solved! I solved it by setting the SPDIF frequency to 96 khz, I guess that there was some kind of compatibility problem with Foobar and ASIO4ALL. I'm now able to here the difference between cd-quality and 24/96 quality! That's kind of cool in my world.

However, there are still some problems. When I'm playing anything else than 24/96 audio in Foobar through ASIO4ALL it's lagging every once in a while. It's just a short brake in the music, but it's still very irritating since it's there about two times every minute. It works just fine in iTunes, without ASIO4ALL

One strange thing is that I'm able to change the volume in Windows, I know I shouldn't. I wasn't able to do it when I used the motherboard's SPDIF.

Anyone now what to do?

Anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #83 of 251
Quote:

I have some problems, so I'm just quoting myself form another thread:

Anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you put the ASIO Support DLL file for foobar in the Foobar components folder on your hardrive?

Also if you are using Vista then try WASAPI.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #84 of 251
Quote:

28mifl0.png

Clicking on the little blue arrow next to Conexant should disable it.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #85 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you put the ASIO Support DLL file for foobar in the Foobar components folder on your hardrive?

Also if you are using Vista then try WASAPI.

I did! The strange thing is that it did work with the motherboard's SPDIF. I may have found one reason; in Windows Playback Control\Playback\Advanced I have checked the box "Digital Output Only". If I leave it unchecked everything becomes silent.

Thank you!

EDIT: I'm using XP.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #86 of 251
Quote:

I did! The strange thing is that it did work with the motherboard's SPDIF. I may have found one reason; in Windows Playback Control\Playback\Advanced I have checked the box "Digital Output Only". If I leave it unchecked everything becomes silent.

Thank you!

EDIT: I'm using XP.

So you got it squared away?

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #87 of 251
Quote:

This setting depends on your processor speed and memory. Reducing the buffer size reduces latency (This is good) and increasing the buffer size reduces glitches (Necessary if your computer is having problems) but will increase latency (Not good). Its best to try and get it as low as you can without having any glitches (during normal use) to reduce latency. Hover your pointer over the slider and you will see a pop-up explaining this. I assume your computer is relatively fast since you are using Vista, maybe if you had a PIII that was 8 years old or if you have a crap load of processes going on simultaniously then a super high buffer would be necessary but for playing music and surfing the web I really doubt you will need your buffer maxed out.

EDIT: I reduced the size of my ASIO4ALL buffer to 196 for both Optical and USB and noticed substantial improvement in sound quality. Better bass impact, clarity, and focus. Runs fine without any glitches, I can run Auslogics Speedboost 1 Click (Cleaner, Defrag, Blah Blah) when listening to music no problem. I also reduced the size of my Foobar output buffer to 500ms.

thanks for explaining this. one thing though, how do you get your asio4all to go down to 196? mine goes from 192 to 208. i'm sure it makes zero difference but i'm wondering if i'm using a dated version now or if maybe your DAC just gives better flexibility when it comes to buffer size or something.

edit: i also notice that after dropping my foobar buffer from 2000 to 1000, my wasapi is working clean without any weirdness. as it's been explained i don't think it makes much of a difference which i use but i am glad to have that figured out. one thing though: i notice when using asio it greys out the "output data format" at 16bit while when wasapi is selected you're free to choose whatever you want. any effect at changing it from 16bit or is that what's suggested?

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #88 of 251
Quote:

thanks for explaining this. one thing though, how do you get your asio4all to go down to 196? mine goes from 192 to 208. i'm sure it makes zero difference but i'm wondering if i'm using a dated version now or if maybe your DAC just gives better flexibility when it comes to buffer size or something.

edit: i also notice that after dropping my foobar buffer from 2000 to 1000, my wasapi is working clean without any weirdness. as it's been explained i don't think it makes much of a difference which i use but i am glad to have that figured out. one thing though: i notice when using asio it greys out the "output data format" at 16bit while when wasapi is selected you're free to choose whatever you want. any effect at changing it from 16bit or is that what's suggested?

Click on the slider and use your arrow keys. Its easier than using a mouse for fine tuning.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #89 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you got it squared away?

No, if I do, it's not working. I do notice a quite big improvement from iTunes though, even if this isn't supposed to be bit perfect since I'm able to use Windows sound control. The sound stage is wider, and the dynamic is enhanced. I don't thing it's placebo, my father noticed something too.

I got rid of the problem with the skipping sound in 44.1/16-audio by checking the box "Always Resample 44.1 kHz <-> 48 kHz". I have read somewhere that you have to do that with my sound card (Soundblaster Audigy).

Now the problem is that I probably don't have bit perfect playback. How do I do to correct this?

Thank you for your help!

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #90 of 251
Quote:

No, if I do, it's not working. I do notice a quite big improvement from iTunes though, even if this isn't supposed to be bit perfect since I'm able to use Windows sound control. The sound stage is wider, and the dynamic is enhanced. I don't thing it's placebo, my father noticed something too.

I got rid of the problem with the skipping sound in 44.1/16-audio by checking the box "Always Resample 44.1 kHz <-> 48 kHz". I have read somewhere that you have to do that with my sound card (Soundblaster Audigy).

Now the problem is that I probably don't have bit perfect playback. How do I do to correct this?

Thank you for your help!

Can you use the onboard sound instead of your Sound Blaster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back