E4c vs SE215 bass comparison
May 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GusGF

New Head-Fier
Discovered my tatty old pair of Shure IEMs the E4c model. When I compare them to my SE215 am finding the older E4c model to have a very weak bass. Is this normal or have the earphones deteriorated over the years through use? Just wondering?!

May 20, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 17
  Discovered a tatty old pair of Shure IEMs which are the E4c model. When I compare them to my SE215 am finding the older E4c model to have a very weak bass. Is this normal or have the earphones deteriorated over the years through use? Just wondering?!

Anyone hazard input on this regarding E4c being fairly bass-less.

May 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 17
The shure 215 is also a dynamic headphone which is why they have more bass.  If you are that interested in the e4c you could probably bring them uptodate with a nice shiny reshell.

May 27, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 17
  yeah most shures are very monitor like but the 215 is what i woudl describe as much more "consumer" sounding

That makes sense. Time to start getting used to a more balanced sound so will stick with the ec4 for the time being. Was intending in selling all my iem and going over to a bluetooth headphone model from China. But will delay this 

May 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 17
hmm, btw you know that 0 ending shures came with "modular" cables.  so did a few other things.

anyway if your wedded to bluetooth you could get a bluetooth headphone amp thing like say http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/stereo-bluetooth-headset-sbh50/ where you can plug in good earphones, the thingy has the mic in it and with the short modular cables you dont have cable all over the place.  just an idea.

May 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 17
  hmm, btw you know that 0 ending shures came with "modular" cables.  so did a few other things.

anyway if your wedded to bluetooth you could get a bluetooth headphone amp thing like say http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/stereo-bluetooth-headset-sbh50/ where you can plug in good earphones, the thingy has the mic in it and with the short modular cables you dont have cable all over the place.  just an idea.

The Sony device has poor reviews on Amazon so staying well clear. Having owned a Jaybird Bluebuds X, which I can't fault, going onto a device like this I fear would be a step backwards. Anyway I was intending on going onto bluetooth headphones as using the iems can be uncomfortable for long periods and if you have to talk to someone briefly, doing so with headphones is much easier than iems when it come to removing and putting them back on.

Didn't understand the relevance of your statement regarding modular cables, sorry.

May 27, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 17
  yeah most shures are very monitor like but the 215 is what i woudl describe as much more "consumer" sounding

I'm in the market to replace my Shure e2c IEMs I purchased in college in 2004.  The cable is damaged and the sound cuts in and out.  I've been very pleased with the sound quality - it appears neither too heavy or too flat.  The best I've ever heard?  No, but the best I've ever owned.  I'm interested in your analysis of the 'consumer' sound for the se215s - the model I'm thinking of replacing the e2cs with.  Is it heavy like a Beats headphone, or just slightly heavier in the low end than a true and proper top-end balanced sound?  

I listen to mostly trance/dance and audio podcasts.  Thanks so much for your help and input.  

May 28, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 17

The Sony device has poor reviews on Amazon so staying well clear. Having owned a Jaybird Bluebuds X, which I can't fault, going onto a device like this I fear would be a step backwards. Anyway I was intending on going onto bluetooth headphones as using the iems can be uncomfortable for long periods and if you have to talk to someone briefly, doing so with headphones is much easier than iems when it come to removing and putting them back on.

Didn't understand the relevance of your statement regarding modular cables, sorry.

ive not used the current sony ones so i cant say but i would say ignore amazon review.  on the whole people are morons on there.  re the modular cable so that you could use things with the bluetooth device it sits at collar level and the modular cable means that the cable attached to the IEM is short, so short it reaches your collar but not much further so you dant have a meter plus of cable dangling about.  btw v-JAYS are over ear headphones that have a modular cable too.
  I'm in the market to replace my Shure e2c IEMs I purchased in college in 2004.  The cable is damaged and the sound cuts in and out.  I've been very pleased with the sound quality - it appears neither too heavy or too flat.  The best I've ever heard?  No, but the best I've ever owned.  I'm interested in your analysis of the 'consumer' sound for the se215s - the model I'm thinking of replacing the e2cs with.  Is it heavy like a Beats headphone, or just slightly heavier in the low end than a true and proper top-end balanced sound?  

I listen to mostly trance/dance and audio podcasts.  Thanks so much for your help and input.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/558120/shure-se215-review  that pretty much contains my thoughts on the 215

May 28, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Wow you know your audio, what a SE215 review!

Haven't taken the plunge yet but have you tried any of the Chinese bluetooth headphones yet? If so briefly what are your thoughts. Sorry know this is off topic now

May 29, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 17
nope i have not.  i pretty much never use bluetooth anymore, i have the FSL Zero but what i really used to use was the Sony Ericsson HBH-DS200 and plug in a something with a short modular cable.  what really killed bluetooth use for me though was touch screens, not being able to skip tracks without looking.

if i had to guess i wouldnt really rate many of the chinese random bluetooth stuff unless its from one of the known companies round here.  i would expect them mostly to be aimed at people who dont really know or care about audio, particularly if they are cheap.  this is why i so liked the HBH-DS200 and IEM's with short cables.  that way you could use as good as you like with the HBH-DS200 being the limiting factor and the slight inconveniance of the short cable about your neck.

May 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 17
Have actually ordered the Sony SBH52 and I may do some cable shortening on my e4c's. I am sure with some sugru, a soldering iron/solder and heat shrink cable sleeving I can create a monster! 
dt880smile.png

Though the Jaybirds Bluebud X were pretty darn good for what they were the bluetooth did drop out when phone was in pocket occasionally. Since its inception I have found bluetooth to be at best unreliable and sometimes downright useless. And with some implementations by OEMs dreadful and frustrating. Don't get me wrong it is useable for audio but I've never found it to be 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back