E3C worth the extra $$ over E2s?
May 8, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 33
paris, you're weird.

May 8, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
the e3's have major issues with presenting the lowend frequency spectrum.

i am gonna say it again. the er-4s have more pleasing bass response than the e3's. this means they have more bass audible to lower ranges, and more visceral impact overall. it's true.

I have to second that one. Exactly my observations.

May 9, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

paris, you're weird.

well, just a personal observation and from wat i gathered from my non audiophile friends.. thats what they feel about the looks of the E3s .
cool.gif

May 9, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
I have to second that one. Exactly my observations.

I have to "third" that one.

I have both. Using the yellow foams of Shure E's listening to ER4 is comparable to pricey full sized cans.

May 9, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 33
I only have the E3's and with a proper fit they can provide good bass. But there is room for improvement.

The E2's may provide that extra bit of bass that many are looking for. But from what I hear there is a tradeoff in losing some of the quality in the highs.

The choice probably comes down to what type of music you listen to. If you are lucky you may be able to EQ the shortcomings of these to a sound that suites you.

May 9, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by btabcdefg
Using the yellow foams of Shure E's listening to ER4 is comparable to pricey full sized cans.

that i am gonna have to say was not at all my experience. the only consumer canalphones that offer full headphone-size bass are the e5's.

this thread is becoming pretty useless...

paris - for the most advice, you really oughta look at full reviews of these phones. you'll get the most info and advice that way. and it will be more than just superficial.

May 9, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

paris - for the most advice, you really oughta look at full reviews of these phones. you'll get the most info and advice that way. and it will be more than just superficial.

I said "comparable".
I never seriously listen to a E5 cos I do not own one. (I did listen to my frns' briefly though) Maybe E5 is better. I a'int sure . Yet the Ety's is built for the purpose for giving the goods of full-sized cans with portable size and many people think that they do a good job.

modestninja is considering a below 150$ incanal and mentioned Ety(probl a 2nd hand one for 150$) himself but hesitant. That s what the thread is abt. Can anyone tell us where E5 falls in (even though it may be the best in toaster's little world) or r u going to sell yr E5 at 150?

Too bad that difference in opinions cannot be "tolerated" at all and were rewarded with such harsh words - useless, superficial....

May 9, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 33
The E2's have weak bass response at the very low end of the spectrum. You can tell this from listening to music, but it is very obvious if you listen to a sine sweep (or whatever its called). This is compared to the regular sized cans I have though. I don't know how they stack up to any other canal phones or earbuds because I don't have any. I think this must have something to do with the small size of the drivers perhaps. If that is the case, though, you probably won't do better with anything else this size, and certainly not with te e3's because I think their drivers are smaller

May 9, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by baies
I only have the E3's and with a proper fit they can provide good bass. But there is room for improvement.

The E2's may provide that extra bit of bass that many are looking for. But from what I hear there is a tradeoff in losing some of the quality in the highs.

The choice probably comes down to what type of music you listen to. If you are lucky you may be able to EQ the shortcomings of these to a sound that suites you.

I thing this is where system compatibility is important. For instance, out of my redsound amp, the E2 sounds great and all that muddiness seems to dissapear. I get great bass and great highs. You think you are listening to a much more expensive earphone than what it is.

With my etys, the audio I get out of my Emagic 2|6 sounds shrill and intensely tiring, but out of my amp, the high are no longer harsh, but detailed and the bass improves significantly. With my portable rio player, it sounds different again.

My sennheiser HD25 sounds like the mids have been completely absorbed out of my portable player. Out of my redsound amp, everything sounds balanced.
My point is that it is not always possible to give a correct review. And when you say that you get good bass out of the E3, it is possible.

Finally, I would use the EQ as little as possible in order to not distort the music too much.

May 9, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #26 of 33
If source is important to these 'phones which would sound best out of a Zen Xtra unamped, because I would use these mainly when travelling and isolation from ambient noise is crucial (airplane, bus, etc...).

May 9, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 33
Unfortunately I have not heard the E3/Zen combo. Maybe someone else can tell you. IMHO, I do not think of the E3 as being better than the E2. I think of the E3 as being different than the E2. I can get pretty darn good sound out of my E2 when I use it with my amp.

May 10, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

well i may have misrepresented myself in my post.

i did do my research and thats how i ended up with a choice of E2s or E3s as i feel that the sound signature of Shures is more my cup pf tea then Ety.

what i was trying to say is that i prefer the looks of e2 and i was factoring that in when i was making my decision. Superficial as it sounds, but if looks aint that important to us, i guess we will all be walking around with huge headphones on our heads. since what i was looking for was a decent pair of portable canal phones, looks do factor in my decision making process as i was pretty sure that either way with e2 or e3s i should not go too far wrong in my decision.

cheers

May 10, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

I said "comparable".
I never seriously listen to a E5 cos I do not own one. (I did listen to my frns' briefly though) Maybe E5 is better. I a'int sure . Yet the Ety's is built for the purpose for giving the goods of full-sized cans with portable size and many people think that they do a good job.

modestninja is considering a below 150$ incanal and mentioned Ety(probl a 2nd hand one for 150$) himself but hesitant. That s what the thread is abt. Can anyone tell us where E5 falls in (even though it may be the best in toaster's little world) or r u going to sell yr E5 at 150?

Too bad that difference in opinions cannot be "tolerated" at all and were rewarded with such harsh words - useless, superficial....

got to agree with you there....
eek.gif

May 10, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Can anyone tell us where E5 falls in (even though it may be the best in toaster's little world) or r u going to sell yr E5 at 150?

what's up with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back