E2c mod... 56K warning
Aug 21, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #16 of 120
I also followed Kramer's mod, and my first impression would have to be that there is definite increase in treble...
Hmmm...let me play with this a little longer and ill update later tonight or tomorrow morning

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
what about the wax guards? do u put them on?

No wax guards. See my comment above... Fortunately its easy to clean the modded tubes with a paper towel.

Further impressions.... theres certainly more treble AND more mids too. The mod doesnt dramatically alter the e2c signature (IMHO)... just fills in the upper frequency range a little. IMHO it seems to increase clarity just a little too.

Garrett

Aug 21, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 120
Oh yeah, I just tried this with the large foamies and I pretty much don't need any EQ at all now. The treble is definitely way way better and so is bass impact. Great mod!

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #21 of 120
Ok, so I got bored today and did this mod. I figured I didn't have much to lose, since I should have E4s in my possession soon (and by soon, I mean at least by the time I'm 50)
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I hadn't listened to them for a few hours before doing the mod, but I did mod the left driver and then stick them in to see if I could discern a difference.
I could
smily_headphones1.gif

It isn't as pronounced as I thought it might be, but then again I don't have a head phone amp, either. I suppose I should plug them into my speaker's control pod and see what they sound like...

Either way, I can tell an improvement. Not necessarily "this area sounds more pronounced now" or whatever, but I've noticed recently that the E2s lack the resolution and clarity of my desktop speakers, and I find that aspect to be significantly improved now.
I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the mod, kramer[#'s]. I think that was my first in kind, at that
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #22 of 120
Very interested in this mod, since I'm currently trying to decide on my first pair of canalphones. How much does the e2c's treble really improve? Does it still sound rolled off? Can anyone compare this modded e2c to any other canalphones?

Aug 23, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #23 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaplessophile
Very interested in this mod, since I'm currently trying to decide on my first pair of canalphones. How much does the e2c's treble really improve? Does it still sound rolled off? Can anyone compare this modded e2c to any other canalphones?

Me too, I'm curious about it - in other words, bump
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #24 of 120
Oooh.. I feel rather dirty, dredging this thread up twice in as many days
smily_headphones1.gif

Couldn't help myself, though; more good stuff to say about it [the mod].

As I've covered, I haven't got an amp proper yet. But I'm sitting here with my E2s plugged into the headphone out of my desktop speakers' control pod.
foobar is running and on random, and Dropkick Murphy's Boys on the Docks (Murphy's Pub Version) jsut came up.

WOW.

Even with the relatively low-end kit I'm working with here, I was hearing detail n'stuff (mostly in the form of accoustic guitar-noises) that I had no idea existed in the track before. Granted, everything''s still far from perfect, but I can't complain too much at all.

And as an added bonus, I swapped sleeves out this evening (foamies in favour of the small clear sleeves). Previously, I'd preferred the clear flex sleeves' seal, but found them too uncomfortable to wear (I'd get this horrible pressure buildup in my left ear, like I had a cold) and couldn't stand to keep them in for more than a few minutes. Now, I'm happy to announce that they not only fit comfortably, but moreso than the foamies even. Or at least as comfy, but with better sound. Or something.

Anyway, that's probably my final yammering about it. Thank you for your time
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 120
Just did it on my left earphone, and boy, does it sound amazing!

Bass is clearer, treble is more present(rightword?), and it's a lot comfier!

I did it using a nail file, holding the headphone upside down so as to minimize plastic particles falling in.

Off to do it on my right headphone....

Nov 2, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #28 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Just did it on my left earphone, and boy, does it sound amazing!

Bass is clearer, treble is more present(rightword?), and it's a lot comfier!

I did it using a nail file, holding the headphone upside down so as to minimize plastic particles falling in.

Off to do it on my right headphone....

After using them for some time now it is my oppinion that you really dont need to bevel the end of the tip the way I did. its better to leave it "square" Just remove the end most portion that retains the wax guard.

Garrett

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #29 of 120
Square, garrett?

All I did was file them down enough so that when I poke the plastic doughnut thing in the middle it would crack, fall off and then I used tweezers to pluck it out. Didn't do anything else.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #30 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Square, garrett?

All I did was file them down enough so that when I poke the plastic doughnut thing in the middle it would crack, fall off and then I used tweezers to pluck it out. Didn't do anything else.

Yeah thats it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back